British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Birmingham vs Leicester 11/08/2021

6 minutes ago, Kester said:

That was my daughter and I.  It was her first ever meeting (so she's got nothing to compare it to) and she really enjoyed it and was asking when we can go back.  She was tired because her legs were aching and she's normally in bed by half eight.  I'll be honest, I'd be more likely to take her to Wolverhampton next time to cheer on whoever Wolves are riding against so at least she can see a meeting on a normal track.

Your points are spot on.   The track was an utter disgrace.  Daisy was struggling to watch after the first 6 or 7 heats as there was so much dust in the air, it was all over my head and needed brushing off when we got back to the car.  I felt like I was part of the Afrika Korps.   Even she was commenting that the watering and tractor racing was having no effect whatsoever, so a 9 year old at her first ever meeting could see the issue.

Was it you who I gave the hat to?

2 minutes ago, Col said:

Never heard Monmore referred to as a normal track before!

As a track I like it.  Yes, it's small and has its quirks but the racing is decent and we won't be wearing the track at the end of the night.

1 minute ago, *JJ said:

Was it you who I gave the hat to?

It was.  Thank you so much.

For everyone else - JJ very kindly asked Daisy if she wanted a spare Brummies cap that he had.  She did, and proudly wore it for the rest of the night and all the way home.  Thank you mate for that lovely gesture.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Well done Brummies - Good result!;)

Nice to hear/read a positive from last night :t:

Going back to the match....I think it was an error to use Paco in heat 15.....he was never going to win from gate 4, he'd had 6 rides already and he's not great under pressure...

I would've expected my Number 1 to step up and do the business from gate 2 and Harris off 4 would've worked the cut back....just my opinion!

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the landlords if they improved access to the track for the Brummies in order for them to carry out the track preparation more satisfactorily? 

Otherwise, they are at risk of losing rental income, and have to incur the time and costs of cleaning up the stadium after a speedway match?

• Like 5

Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the landlords if they improved access to the track for the Brummies in order for them to carry out the track preparation more satisfactorily? 

Otherwise, they are at risk of losing rental income, and have to incur the time and costs of cleaning up the stadium after a speedway match?

1 hour ago, Kester said:

That was my daughter and I.  It was her first ever meeting (so she's got nothing to compare it to) and she really enjoyed it and was asking when we can go back.  She was tired because her legs were aching and she's normally in bed by half eight.  I'll be honest, I'd be more likely to take her to Wolverhampton next time to cheer on whoever Wolves are riding against so at least she can see a meeting on a normal track.

Your points are spot on.   The track was an utter disgrace.  Daisy was struggling to watch after the first 6 or 7 heats as there was so much dust in the air, it was all over my head and needed brushing off when we got back to the car.  I felt like I was part of the Afrika Korps.   Even she was commenting that the watering and tractor racing was having no effect whatsoever, so a 9 year old at her first ever meeting could see the issue.

I'm glad she's not lost to the sport after one visit then. But surely that's the point of a night of "entertainment", you forget about your aching legs because you're that involved in the "action"! Anyway, I'm sure she'll love watching Porky in "action" at Wolves

1 hour ago, Kester said:

As a track I like it.  Yes, it's small and has its quirks but the racing is decent and we won't be wearing the track at the end of the night.

I used to enjoy it, the retirement of the Sooo-pah Trooh-pah meant i stopped going.  I found the racing very predictable, it's painful to watch the likes of Batchelor trying to not get over taken on the exit of turn 2!

44 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Going back to the match....I think it was an error to use Paco in heat 15.....he was never going to win from gate 4, he'd had 6 rides already and he's not great under pressure...

I would've expected my Number 1 to step up and do the business from gate 2 and Harris off 4 would've worked the cut back....just my opinion!

It was a difficult call, the choice of gate was also difficult as gate #1 had become a disadvantage compared to gate 2.  Guessing that is why Morris went off 3 rather than Douglas.  Gate 4 wasn't a good place to be but given what choice the team manager had I think he made the correct choice putting Harris off gate 2 considering Brummies needed a second place to secure victory.
Riss is underperforming, in my opinion he didn't deserve a extra ride.  Shanes hadn't won a heat and Morris had only just managed to beat Kennedy in heat 14 from gate 4 so Castagna was the only real chance of getting a point, when forced to use the wide line he's usually quick on it, had beaten Douglas previously that night & had gone from gate 4 twice near the end of the meeting.
My issue with the team manager would have been not replacing either Thomas or Grobauer with Castagna in heat 8, conceding a 1-5.  I'd have replaced Thomas in heat 8 and given him his third ride replacing Grobauer when partnering Riss a heat or so later.

Such a good suggestion @bigal said it twice! :D

The issues with the track are evident but based on entertainment it had a bit of everything. Hard racing, passing, crashes, talking points, fan interaction etc. Was brilliant to see and hear the Lions fans in good voice and in numbers, was good to go down to the last heat keeping things tense. 

The team spirit within the Brummies is fantastic considering the problems and uncertainty and to their credit they've cracked on with the job. I do feel for the Masons, nothing seems to be working for them atm but everyone is pulling together. The track needs major work which is costly and difficult to do mid-season. Most of the shale seems to have turned to powder and is not binding when watered, not an easy fix but I know a few other tracks are having the same issue. Is there a lack of quality shale? I don't know. Could we get shale from Swindon in the short term? 

4 hours ago, lewy said:

It sounds to me the problem is more to do with the material on the track,it needs a decent amount of clay in it to help retain the moisture and reduce the need for water,at Plymouth they don't water the track until 4.30 on race day and we don't get any issues with dust.

Just wondering whether you get more moisture in the atmosphere down in Plymouth....(due to location/coast)....just a thought?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm glad she's not lost to the sport after one visit then. But surely that's the point of a night of "entertainment", you forget about your aching legs because you're that involved in the "action"! Anyway, I'm sure she'll love watching Porky in "action" at Wolves

Oh my word Porkie, I'll have to warn her.

• Haha 1

When i worked on the speedway track at Wimbledon, if the forecast was dry, we used to flood the circuit on the days leading up to the meeting. It helped in getting the moisture deep into the base. Of course the Mason's don't have the same luxury of unlimited access to the stadium.

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Just wondering whether you get more moisture in the atmosphere down in Plymouth....(due to location/coast)....just a thought?

The area where the Arena is isn't called Marsh Mills for nothing! And they get a touch of Pooleitis when the tides in!

• Like 1