British Speedway Forum
lbw

Speedway to reinvent itself?

14 hours ago, mikebv said:

Maybe more individuals could get involved running one off meetings?

Why is it that only the BSPL should have the authority to run "UK Speedway"...?

There are plenty of weeks when stadiums lie idle so couldn't "someone else" rent them and put on an event during some of those weeks?

Similar to what the IOW are doing under another organisation? 

Landlords get more rent, riders get to earn more money, and Speedway (Shalesport?) fans get to see racing under a variety of guises..

As has been said, track cycling have many a combination of races that Speedway (Shalesport) could use...

And a few handicap races never go amiss when properly planned....

I have watched Speedway in the United States and it is truly an 'event' where the town it takes place in is acutely aware of when it takes place (due to "proper local promotional work") and many of that town turn up to watch a mixture of ages compete from 'kids' to 'seniors', a mixture of scratch and handicap racing, and a mixture of types of bikes/sidecars being used..

All presented by someone on the centre green and in the stand, who are very comfortable at presenting and keeping the crowds interest during the gaps between races...

Gaps that are deliberately kept to a minimum to ensure the momentum of the event remains high. One race finishes, then a lap of honour, and before the lap of honour ends the next bikes are out of the pits..

Team Speedway here in the UK has been around since around 1930 with barely a radical change (except handicap racing for a few years) in those ensuing 91 years...

It's tired, it's contrived, it's not got any real meaning, nor has it any kudos, publicity or financial rewards for any of the clubs winning any of the competitions...

So why keep carrying on flogging a dying horse?

Even if "something different" doesn't work, it will only match what we have now as that doesn't work either..

What's that oft used definition of insanity? 

Doing exactly the same thing over and over and over again, and each time you do it, expecting a completely different result...?

Maybe it needs putting on a very large car park banner at the next AGM venue, so all those attending can see it as they drive in...

And a few handicap races never go amiss when properly planned....

Yes yes yes! 

• Like 1

Kevin Pietersen was asked what he like most about the Hundred and his reply said it all, the interaction with the fans.

The show that is put on is chalk and cheese in comparison with speedway. The fireworks, the big screens, the light show, music both live and recorded, big entrances for the players.

PLUS it's not only shown on Sky but also the occasional match is also shown live on BBC 2!!!!!

Just everything makes speedway look boring to the outsider and also to many inside the sport.

In 2019 KP Snacks signed a £4million 5 year deal with the ECB to sponsor the competition. 

Wonder who is the ECB marketing director, speedway could do with him.

Speedway come on get your act together.

Wheres the money coming from? Both sports are chalk and cheese in alot of aspects

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not weigh up, what makes 20/20 and the one hundred more appealing to the none cricket fan. What was turning people off all day cricket?

To me speedway is in it's pure element is a decent sport.

The excitment is four riders together, riders alongside each other (in a safe way), a close result keeping people gripped until the end.

A team you can call your own alongside that, a decent presenter keeping the crowd entertained as previously mentioned.

A system needs to be found to support this in some way. Changing the rule book won't cut it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grachan said:

I saw someone talking about the Hundred on tv the other day and they said it was brilliant having the teams known by their nicknames - yet Speedway has been doing this for nearly a century.

but people in general know what cricket is, speedway still being around is a big secret

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fundamental issue is that if you decided to 'invent' a team sport, and Speedway was the outcome of your invention, would any one run it in any way shape or form as it is ran (in the UK), today. ?

Of course not...

If you went on Dragons Den, or went to the bank for a start up loan, with your business plan and operating model, you would be laughed out of the respective rooms...

Yet 19 Promoters, you can only presume,  must see what they do as totally 'fit for purpose' in the 24/7, multi media, 'wow factor' led world of 2021....

To be allowed to 're-invent' itself there would firstly have to be an acknowledgement from these 19 leaders of the sport that what we have today isn't delivering what a product with such "strong raw materials' should..

And we know that isn't going to happen any time soon....

Best wishes to the IOW this evening, who decided that the current "offering" wasn't for them. and have gone away, been innovative, and are "loud and proud" about how they market and promote their business and (most importantly) the actual sport...

As they realise the sport itself underpins, and holds together, all the other attractions they present....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Every cost cutting move they make takes more people off the gate. It has been doing so for years. Yet they keep doing it. We now have a top league of 6 teams with the same riders as in the lower tier. Mental.

This can be easily achieved by buying out all of those  "it's great as it is now, don't change anything" promoters and club owners because while they remain in it - for whatever reasons they do - you can be sure that nowt will change and speedway will run itself into the ground before long.

Yes it can and needs to reinvent itself and standard equipement is one of the cornerstones. So that  rider skills come to the fore, providing a racing surface is laid down to encourage real racing on those more basic bikes. Meaning that it is NOT all over after the first two turns! I will just dream on unless my Euromillions ticket comes up with the necesaary £100 million to ensure the re-invention truly happens.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, PirateShip said:

I remember at Long Eaton once there was a circus in town and Johno went round the track on a camel.

That's entertainment, that's entertainment.........i feel a song comin on! :party:

Bet that put a few hundred on the gate........of the circus.

Sorry speedway does not need re-inventing the promotion of the sport needs re-inventing and the blueprint for it is already in place.

One has to look no further than Barry Bishop and co of the Wightlink Warriors / Wightlink Wizards speedway club and the way they promote the sport not just on the island but across the board. Speedway GB effectively forced them out of the league with their accept this or pi$$ off attitude and when they did go and they joined another proper recognised organisation they still tried putting obstacles in there way to stop them running. 

And running they are putting on a show that attracts the crowds that enjoy the show and keep on coming back for more just look at the amount of races / entertainment the crowd get to enjoy for the same few hours that other tracks take to run 15 heats.  (I bet the IOW get a bigger crowd to watch the tractor grade the track than some clubs get to watch a match).

NO speedway doesn't need re-inventing its just the dinosaurs running this great sport (Directors and Promoters) that  need re-educating or removing so someone / some people with a vision and understanding that the way its being run now and has been run for years is way past its sell by date. Speedway is a sport BUT the general public want ENTERTAINMENT for the dosh there spending and that is not just 14 riders over 15 races (and possibly 2 or 3 of the same riders with a different opposition vest on every match)

Rant over.

Edited by tonyd
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, tonyd said:

Speedway is a sport BUT the general public want ENTERTAINMENT for the dosh there spending and that is not just 14 riders over 15 races 

And a lot of people seem to want all that done in less than an hour...

I'm sorry, but if I drive a few hours to watch a meeting, and spend that kind of money, I want more than a 45-60 minute show...

The trouble is, it seems that no two speedway fans want the same thing.

One wants team, and one wants individual.

One wants it over in an hour, and one wants a full evening.

One wants outside entertainment, and one doesn't.

One wants good racing, and one wants a thumping home win.

One doesn't care as long as it's exciting, and one only wants to see the top stars.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deano said:

Why not weigh up, what makes 20/20 and the one hundred more appealing to the none cricket fan. What was turning people off all day cricket?

To me speedway is in it's pure element is a decent sport.

The excitment is four riders together, riders alongside each other (in a safe way), a close result keeping people gripped until the end.

A team you can call your own alongside that, a decent presenter keeping the crowd entertained as previously mentioned.

A system needs to be found to support this in some way. Changing the rule book won't cut it!

I agree with most of what you say but the description used is not going to work. You have promoters (leaping Len Silver or Dave Lanning) no longer allowed to wind up the crowd,  character riders who were the baddies no longer exist except NP and the rest is muted compared to the 70’s and 80’s. What it needs is some excitement put back into the sport. For example using six riders run the first part of a meeting as two rider two lap match races, then run pairs and finally draw names randomly for one on one match races but with handicaps so that if a number one rider is drawn against a number six they start off a handicap. It needs something that is fast furious and snappy, not the gardening diehards who if an infringement at the start, go back and basically fart about for five minutes before a restart. What happened to the back to the tapes without the pit gate being opened. The current situation is pathetic throwback and will hardly excite the potential audience who don’t want inordinate breaks between four laps of processional racing. It needs some umph not the flop that league racing more often than not offers.

• Like 1

League racing will never give the buzz excitement or the drama while those who ride in opposition one night are team mates the next. 

The business model is flawed and everyone can see it except those that are in charge.

The old like it or don't bother coming mentality will have only one outcome. Sadly that outcome is probably 5 to 10 years away at best.

Whatever happens you can be sure it's all in the "interest of speedway"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I'm sorry, but if I drive a few hours to watch a meeting, and spend that kind of money, I want more than a 45-60 minute show...

One doesn't care as long as it's exciting, and one only wants to see the top stars.

It's why a finger needs to be stuck in the air at some point, but practicality tells us that evening sports events start at 7.30pm for a reason, and most people probably don't want to be in the stadium for more than a couple of hours if that. There's noise and light pollution reasons, public transport reasons, cold night air reasons, and simply because people might want to get to the pub for a round or two afterwards.

I'd honestly find it hard to fathom that the majority would want less rather than more action, and you can work out in practical terms how quickly you can run races. 2 minutes to get everyone to the tapes, one minute for the race, 30 seconds for the celebrations and then stick on the 2 minute warning for the next race. Maybe 5 minutes every 4 races for grading and mini-intervals, which means you should easily be able to run 20 heats in around 90 minutes if the will was there.

Split things up into a (say) 14-heat match, so those that want their one hour thing can bugger off straight afterwards, but put on a (say) 6-heat individual novelty competition for everyone else who wants the value for money. 

The British leagues can no longer afford the top stars anyway, so just structure the contracts and pay rates so the riders you do sign take the whole meeting seriously. 

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Exactly the point though isn't it.  It's not about what you want to see or what I what to see.  It's about providing what the vast majority want.  Lowest common denominator stuff.  That's why you get stuff like the Hundred. (Garish) Style over content.

(Don't tell my boss) but I spent today watching the first day of the Lords test followed by Northern Superchargers vs Manchester Invincibles. (Absolutely terribly contrived teams to attract the widest fan base, you might as well refer to them as Popchips vs McCoys)

Clearly the skills set and tactical nuances on display at Lords were far greater than the risk and reward slogfest which was the Hundred.  But even though tonights match was a thumping home win and not even a contest it was still very watchable with lots of big hitting and then wickets tumbling.  With presumably sane members of the public singing and dancing along to terribly cheesy tunes during the very short delays between sets of five (not overs).  Total escapism.  Which is exactly what entertainment (not neccesarily sport) should be.

If speedway is to reinvent itself it needs to appeal to these lowest commom denominators. Unfortunately for speedway for the masses the equivalent of a big six isn't a big five one it's a big crash.

Interesting debate during the test match about scheduling of matches and how the ECB have introduced the Hundred because the game is too reliant of International matches subsidising the counties.  Something speedway in this country could only dream off.....      ....or is that the way forward??? A showpiece International tournament with a competitive GB team?  Using the Hundred as a template you don't even need the best performers you just need non stop action over a couple of hours, merchanside, loud music, crowd interaction, booze by the looks of it.  Nobody seems to be that bothered about the standard relative to the best in the world (must of the big name England players are now no longer in the competition [imagine if the Premiership started with all the GP stars but they all left once the SGP's started!!!]), as long as they can entertain. Nobody seems remotely bothered that the players have no affinity to the teams they represent.  They're all double or even treble uppers. None of this matters because it's a great show.

Can speedway in this country replicate it??  I doubt it.   

Edited by enotian
  • Like 2

I have often wondered if 2 lap races would be exciting or not, they didn't ought to let the riders get spaced out for sure. 

I love league racing (my team still exists) with two teams going hammer and tongues at each other and if every promotion has a good centre grey guy giving partisan commentary and banter involving the supporters from both teams that can make for a fantastic night out imo .... we generally don't have these guys at every club ....

There's lots of other touches promoters can give to race nights too that don't cost a cent but which enrich the night for the fans.

As for doubling up and down, we just have to do it at the mo, I personally don't have a problem as long as I think the guys are giving my team 100%, it never enters my head on a race night that he'll be racing for a different team tomorrow!