Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
lbw

Speedway to reinvent itself?

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I actually agree with the professional, serious sport bit.  But what that says is sticking to the same old methods and formats - that, frankly, are clearly not working. 

As examples, Newcastle and Birmingham have been to the brink of closure this year. I am reliably informed that Eastbourne are in serious financial trouble.

In sharp contrast, a friend of mine who has watched speedway on the Island since it opened in the 1990's told me that the last two attendances at Smallbrook are amongst the biggest he has ever seen there. The Warriors are definitely doing something right and if that is what it takes to get people in, lets do it. 

One final thing. Speedway is a serious, professional sport but it most certainly has not been run like one for years, and that is one major reason why it is on its knees. 

Seeing is believing, Steve. I have been banging the drum for the Isle of Wight promotion since a cold April night in 2016 when I went to the second meeting after they re-opened and was hugely impressed with the enthusiasm, professionalism and hard work put in by the promotion to ensure that I, as a paying customer, had a good time.

In all the meetings I have been to since - and that's a large number considering it is nigh on 250 miles from my home -  they have never wavered.

One rather obvious point : Barry Bishop is on here, engaging with paying customers, giving his viewpoints and hearing ours.

How many others do that ?

First of all, I'd remind you that Barry Bishop promoted Isle of Wight for 4 full NL seasons from 2016-19 and this is first time he has run a truncated programme. In doing so, he clearly took account of Covid restrictions - something the BSPL and the rest of the clubs effectively ignored and which has cost them very dearly indeed. 

I am sure Barry would do very well as a Premiership or Championship promoter but as part of his philosophy - unlike certain Championship promoters - is that income must cover expenses (or, at worst, that losses must be sustainable) he's never going to do that on the Island. The very fact that he has that philosophy marks him out.

My understanding is that Isle of Wight's last two meetings finished at 9pm. 

What you want is one thing - and I am sure that there will be many who agree - but what is best for the sport could be something very different. What seems to me to be certain is that you want to carry on exactly as before regardless of the fact that we know that simply isn't working. 

In terms of attendances, Isle of Wight have been hugely successful this season (my friend told me that the food outlets ran out on Thursday). Not to give consideration to their style of format would surely be foolish to the point of madness. 

So what is their attendance? 200? 400? 500? 1k? 

Yes Barry ran NL meetings.

He took notice of covid restrictions and decided not to promote league racing so his outgoings were low? So he could only promote a few fun meetings in the summer? 

• Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Trees said:

He took notice of covid restrictions and decided not to promote league racing so his outgoings were low? So he could only promote a few fun meetings in the summer? 

You clearly haven't followed why it is that IOW are not in the NDL this year. It's nothing to do with covid restrictions. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

What you want is one thing - and I am sure that there will be many who agree - but what is best for the sport could be something very different. What seems to me to be certain is that you want to carry on exactly as before regardless of the fact that we know that simply isn't working.

FINALLY!!! Someone who sees the big picture!

One of the biggest problems on this forum is fans who want everything to suit them, regardless of feasibility and viability. Barry Bishop is doing what it takes to be a success, REGARDLESS of what some fans (who are living in the past) want.

What is needed is more promotors like Barry Bishop. Maybe not follow exactly his meeting style (he is promoting on an island with lots of holiday makers) but with his creative thinking and application. Speedway has got to get more youngsters involved. It was a family sport when I was took by my parents over 60 years ago, but from what I see now it’s mostly those that were there as kids back then and the youngsters are, in the main, missing. So some creative thinking needed to attract younger ones, to make the sport more cost effective for competitors, and make a profit for promotors to reinvest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

So some creative thinking needed to attract younger ones, to make the sport more cost effective for competitors, and make a profit for promotors to reinvest.

It's easy, they just need to be kept engaged. How many times have you seen a kid at the Speedway and they just ain't interested in what's going on and they're just running around being a pain in the @rse.

15 mins engagement in 2 hours is tough for an adult, so what chance with a kid! It won't be for every kid and it's more difficult these days with with CRB checks etc. but ideally there should be a kids club on race night where parents could drop their kids off to have them indoctrinated in the ways of Speedway... like churches do with Sunday school.

Watching the kids on the centre green last week they seemed to be having a great time mucking about with Brummie Bear during the interval.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's easy, they just need to be kept engaged. How many times have you seen a kid at the Speedway and they just ain't interested in what's going on and they're just running around being a pain in the @rse.

15 mins engagement in 2 hours is tough for an adult, so what chance with a kid! It won't be for every kid and it's more difficult these days with with CRB checks etc. but ideally there should be a kids club on race night where parents could drop their kids off to have them indoctrinated in the ways of Speedway... like churches do with Sunday school.

Watching the kids on the centre green last week they seemed to be having a great time mucking about with Brummie Bear during the interval.

Wow! We have just added Sunday school into the mix on how to bring speedway into the 21st century, that can be added to "modern day hunting" & "the smell of cooking oil" on the what the fans say page!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Wow! We have just added Sunday school into the mix on how to bring speedway into the 21st century, that can be added to "modern day hunting" & "the smell of cooking oil" on the what the fans say page!

Unfortunately Speedway is about as "trendy" as going to church these days

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

Back to something positive with FEEDBACK - please read it all….

What a fantastic night. I thought I would just provide a few notes in feedback on my observations in case they are useful. Even now I could write twice as much and still have more to say
Customer Experience
Absolutely first class and something I have not experienced at speedway before.
I arrived at the stadium at about 4.30pm (taking account of Barry’s earlier message about the damp parking conditions). First impressions count and my first impression was of two extremely friendly and helpful car parking staff. I didn’t get either of the ladies names, but they set the standard for the visit and I couldn’t have been more impressed. An absolute credit to you. Of course, it didn’t stop there. Staff on the entrance, selling programmes, at The Retreat, during the event and on the way out of the stadium couldn’t have been more helpful, welcoming or more efficient. First class
The food at the Retreat was a better quality and value than at any speedway stadium I have been to. I don’t normally eat at stadia as the food is generally overpriced and poor quality, but made a point of doing so last night. I wasn’t disappointed, but glad I got in early as it was clearly popular. I’ll try the Premier Lounge next time.
I don’t think I have seen so many young people in a speedway stadium for years. Whistles, sweets, quizzes before they even get to the grandstand, centre green visits, running races on the track, Pee Wee races and My First Skid graduates in the main meeting – riders they can relate to and aspire to be. No wonder you have them coming back for more each meeting.
The stadium
Immaculate.
It frustrates me no end when I go to other stadia and they are unclean, grass uncut (either / or the centre green or the standing areas), dirty seats, toilets you don’t want to use and uncared for. None of that could be applied to Smallbrook. An absolute credit to you.
All the air fence panels clean, all the advertising A frames prominently positioned to maximise exposure. Your sponsors must be pleased.
The track
I’ve never prepared a track, so wouldn’t claim to be an expert, but it looked really good to me, especially given the weather we have had. I thought you applied enough water to keep the dust down, without making it too slippery for the riders. As far as I could see, the riders looked comfortable on the track – and given the range of abilities on show last night to prepare a track to suit all is a credit to your team.
Riders briefing
I was outside the pits when the rider briefing was taking place. The instructions you all gave to the riders were spot on. They could be in no doubt what was expected – entertain the crowd, acknowledge and engage the crowd, take the flag and do a lap of honour after winning a race and ensure you are ready to get out on track as soon as the previous race has finished. So often now riders go straight back to the pits after a race and don’t come round for the supporters so it was refreshing to see that that is part of the show, and your expectation. All building the relationship.
Pit walk
Always a good option if you can do it and I had the bonus of talking to Gordon Kennett
The racing
To get so many races run in such a short space of time was impressive, but never in doubt given the rider briefing and the standard set in the Pee Wee and Ladies races. Obviously that could be a challenge if there is an incident and that’s a risk in any form of motor sport.
I enjoyed the Pee Wee races – future stars in the making, and what an opportunity for them to ride in front of an appreciative and responsive crowd. In the ladies races I was quite glad that Steph Whitlock missed the gate in one, and then came from the back. Passing at an early stage – and this was only the pre-meeting!
The main event 3TT was entertaining, but also of a good standard – and, given the challenges you have had to face in permission to use riders, exceeded my expectations. It was unfortunate that Alex Spooner was not available, but seeing Chad, Danno, Luke, Charley and Connor supported by all the others on show ensured the racing was both competitive and exciting. Every race had interest. I was a bit sceptical about the  team manager handicapping option, because I feared that it would take away from the head to heads between the top riders – but Chad blew away that theory in heat 4 when he came from behind to beat Charley.
The Upright Challenge was a bit one sided, but that’s clearly based on rider and engine availability. Despite that, the two races where Nigel Coates came from behind to win, using the banking to great effect, were as well received in the grandstand as any other races. The one thing I think that would have helped the newer visitors understand why there were some older and more substantially built (!) riders in these races would have been a fuller explanation of the background to uprights v laydowns, and the background of the riders involved. There were a couple of new attendees near me, and others around them provided a bit of background which clarified it – only a minor point in the overall experience.
Bruce Cribb – well, what can I say. To ride one of those fearsome ice bikes at his age and I assume with limited practice was astounding. He may not be as quick as he once was but Bruce exceeded my expectations. Having seen the other ice bike on show on the first bend banking no one could have been in any doubt just how dangerous those spikes could be.
I confess I only caught a short sight of the JAP demo as I was out the back talking to others, but it did take me back to the late 60s and 70s when JAPs were still in regular use. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia.
I also liked the way in which you intersperse races from the different events during the programme.
Social media
So much content
Constant promotion of sponsors, regular updates, Facebook live – brilliant. Giving the fans up to date information and insight – essential in this day and age
Summary
A fantastic, positive night out. If I lived on the Island I would be there every week without a shadow of a doubt. If Wightlink re-instate the later Fast Cat I’d come more often.
To have a complete package in place that allows riders to come through the My First Skid programme, to progress to demos in front of a crowd and then into the Wizards and Warriors is brilliant. A real potential production line for British speedway.
I haven’t mentioned the entry price at all – but it was the best £12 I’ve spent for a while. The value for money was exceptional. About 30 races including the demos. Why the BSPL aren’t talking to you about your operating model is beyond me. I believe any other speedway (or event) promoter who came to one of your meetings, and also looked at all the social media content you put out, would be bound to find at least 1 or 2 ideas they could put into practice to improve their product.  
You have an absolutely incredible team working with you and I would like to say thank you to them all. Thank you to you both for putting the meetings on this year, and for taking the risk in doing so.

#TheWarriorWay

I read this on Facebook! Is this just one customer?

...and approximately how much profit did you make yesterday or did you break even?

Edited by Skidder1

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

I read this on Facebook! Is this just one customer?

yes just one customer's point of view.... there are around another 50 or so from Thursday on our FB pages. This is one persons, sent directly to Martin which we have shared. 

Edited by barrybishop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

Back to something positive with FEEDBACK - please read it all….

What a fantastic night. I thought I would just provide a few notes in feedback on my observations in case they are useful. Even now I could write twice as much and still have more to say
Customer Experience
Absolutely first class and something I have not experienced at speedway before.
I arrived at the stadium at about 4.30pm (taking account of Barry’s earlier message about the damp parking conditions). First impressions count and my first impression was of two extremely friendly and helpful car parking staff. I didn’t get either of the ladies names, but they set the standard for the visit and I couldn’t have been more impressed. An absolute credit to you. Of course, it didn’t stop there. Staff on the entrance, selling programmes, at The Retreat, during the event and on the way out of the stadium couldn’t have been more helpful, welcoming or more efficient. First class
The food at the Retreat was a better quality and value than at any speedway stadium I have been to. I don’t normally eat at stadia as the food is generally overpriced and poor quality, but made a point of doing so last night. I wasn’t disappointed, but glad I got in early as it was clearly popular. I’ll try the Premier Lounge next time.
I don’t think I have seen so many young people in a speedway stadium for years. Whistles, sweets, quizzes before they even get to the grandstand, centre green visits, running races on the track, Pee Wee races and My First Skid graduates in the main meeting – riders they can relate to and aspire to be. No wonder you have them coming back for more each meeting.
The stadium
Immaculate.
It frustrates me no end when I go to other stadia and they are unclean, grass uncut (either / or the centre green or the standing areas), dirty seats, toilets you don’t want to use and uncared for. None of that could be applied to Smallbrook. An absolute credit to you.
All the air fence panels clean, all the advertising A frames prominently positioned to maximise exposure. Your sponsors must be pleased.
The track
I’ve never prepared a track, so wouldn’t claim to be an expert, but it looked really good to me, especially given the weather we have had. I thought you applied enough water to keep the dust down, without making it too slippery for the riders. As far as I could see, the riders looked comfortable on the track – and given the range of abilities on show last night to prepare a track to suit all is a credit to your team.
Riders briefing
I was outside the pits when the rider briefing was taking place. The instructions you all gave to the riders were spot on. They could be in no doubt what was expected – entertain the crowd, acknowledge and engage the crowd, take the flag and do a lap of honour after winning a race and ensure you are ready to get out on track as soon as the previous race has finished. So often now riders go straight back to the pits after a race and don’t come round for the supporters so it was refreshing to see that that is part of the show, and your expectation. All building the relationship.
Pit walk
Always a good option if you can do it and I had the bonus of talking to Gordon Kennett
The racing
To get so many races run in such a short space of time was impressive, but never in doubt given the rider briefing and the standard set in the Pee Wee and Ladies races. Obviously that could be a challenge if there is an incident and that’s a risk in any form of motor sport.
I enjoyed the Pee Wee races – future stars in the making, and what an opportunity for them to ride in front of an appreciative and responsive crowd. In the ladies races I was quite glad that Steph Whitlock missed the gate in one, and then came from the back. Passing at an early stage – and this was only the pre-meeting!
The main event 3TT was entertaining, but also of a good standard – and, given the challenges you have had to face in permission to use riders, exceeded my expectations. It was unfortunate that Alex Spooner was not available, but seeing Chad, Danno, Luke, Charley and Connor supported by all the others on show ensured the racing was both competitive and exciting. Every race had interest. I was a bit sceptical about the  team manager handicapping option, because I feared that it would take away from the head to heads between the top riders – but Chad blew away that theory in heat 4 when he came from behind to beat Charley.
The Upright Challenge was a bit one sided, but that’s clearly based on rider and engine availability. Despite that, the two races where Nigel Coates came from behind to win, using the banking to great effect, were as well received in the grandstand as any other races. The one thing I think that would have helped the newer visitors understand why there were some older and more substantially built (!) riders in these races would have been a fuller explanation of the background to uprights v laydowns, and the background of the riders involved. There were a couple of new attendees near me, and others around them provided a bit of background which clarified it – only a minor point in the overall experience.
Bruce Cribb – well, what can I say. To ride one of those fearsome ice bikes at his age and I assume with limited practice was astounding. He may not be as quick as he once was but Bruce exceeded my expectations. Having seen the other ice bike on show on the first bend banking no one could have been in any doubt just how dangerous those spikes could be.
I confess I only caught a short sight of the JAP demo as I was out the back talking to others, but it did take me back to the late 60s and 70s when JAPs were still in regular use. Nothing like a bit of nostalgia.
I also liked the way in which you intersperse races from the different events during the programme.
Social media
So much content
Constant promotion of sponsors, regular updates, Facebook live – brilliant. Giving the fans up to date information and insight – essential in this day and age
Summary
A fantastic, positive night out. If I lived on the Island I would be there every week without a shadow of a doubt. If Wightlink re-instate the later Fast Cat I’d come more often.
To have a complete package in place that allows riders to come through the My First Skid programme, to progress to demos in front of a crowd and then into the Wizards and Warriors is brilliant. A real potential production line for British speedway.
I haven’t mentioned the entry price at all – but it was the best £12 I’ve spent for a while. The value for money was exceptional. About 30 races including the demos. Why the BSPL aren’t talking to you about your operating model is beyond me. I believe any other speedway (or event) promoter who came to one of your meetings, and also looked at all the social media content you put out, would be bound to find at least 1 or 2 ideas they could put into practice to improve their product.  
You have an absolutely incredible team working with you and I would like to say thank you to them all. Thank you to you both for putting the meetings on this year, and for taking the risk in doing so.

#TheWarriorWay

Not too shabby for a "sideshow" then..?

I suggest 'one or two others' may want to look into doing a "sideshow" too...

As circa 15 mins of racing, watching the same riders over, and over, and over again doesnt seem to be making the required cut through does it?

Of course that wont happen because we MUST have seven man teams, and all riders MUST be allowed to ride for two teams, but also MUST be allowed to ride for any other teams on any given night, and 15 heats (circa 15 mins), of Speedway, MUST be, for most evenings, the only thing on offer, and admission costs MUST be greater than £1 a race/minute, (or more than circa £60 an hour pro rata), as it's the ONLY way to run the sport (in the UK)..

Isn't it?...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trees said:

So what is their attendance? 200? 400? 500? 1k? 

My understanding is that the initial attendance was 350 but the subsequent two meetings were substantially greater. 5-600 would be a very decent attendance for an NL standard meeting.

I am sure Barry Bishop himself could respond to your enquiry - he, pretty much uniquely among British speedway promoters, engages with fans directly on this forum (unlike others who consider that paying customers opinions should be at best be ignored and at worst treated with contempt, derision and even abuse) and his record of three likes to each post shows what forum members think of his contributions - but I'll state what I am aware of. 

The decision to withdraw from the NL was prompted by a 34pt limit for that league - a decision which has subsequently been criticised by the likes of Len Silver, Peter Oakes., Randall Butt and Jason Pipe - but became a reality when that limit was forced on the NL by the BSPL (apparently at the behest of Premiership and Championship clubs) and without any consultation or voting by NL promotions. Indeed, had there been a vote - as there unquestionably should have been - the BSPL proposals would almost certainly have been refused.

Barry and his partner Martin Widman formed the view that they could no longer be part of an organisation where decisions were made by others without regard for their needs, wishes and requirements and where Glasgow had more say about their team line up than they did. 

Some have suggested that Isle of Wight speedway is now a 'sideshow' or fairground', but I don't know of a single Warriors fan that did not agree with their decision and many outside the club have also endorsed it. Furthermore, it appears from the increasing attendances and remarkable feedback that what they are putting on has been a nigh on unqualified success.

To my knowledge, Barry and Martin then decided to hold meetings after Covid restrictions had been lapsed (that coincided with the holiday period) and to run only a short season (my further understanding is that may not be the case in 2022). Given the disastrous attendances running with covid regulations in place - two Championship clubs have been very near closure and a third is about to join them - that decision was unquestionably correct. 

For myself, I am greatly pleased that Isle of Wight have been so successful. Barry and Martin deserve it, and its a rather nasty poke in the eye for the arrogant, selfish and incompetent BSPL. 

On a final note, the ironic bit is I agree with you - for me, speedway is about 14 blokes going hammer and tongs for 15 heats. The difference, perhaps, is that I know that isn't enough.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, PirateShip said:

Wot a complete and utter numbnuts! 

So your telling me that British Speedway is being run in the right way? 

I would like the IOW to come come back to the National League bringing along the show that they put on. 

I haven't been but I know Martin Widman well as a personal friend as he takes time to come along to the Long Eaton SOS meetings. 

The effort they put in to get the show on is to be applauded. 

Whether you stay for the whole show or not is personal choice, I remember when folk drifted away after heat 13, back in the day, before the 2nd half. 

Pre meeting, during the meeting and after the meeting entertainment......simples really. 

Well done Martin & Barry, uve battled well against bureacy! 

Applaud, applaud, applaud 

I very much don't think Speedway is being run the right way, hence my post.

Try to be adult and objective and see Speedway in the context of other professional sports.

The Isle of Wight sounds a great day out and the promoter seems very creative and dynamic (fantastic!)

Is Speedway an exhibition event much like a wall of death, where you see it amongst other exciting motorsport demonstrations and a bit of a 'one off'

Or is it an organised semi-pro/pro team sport which hopes to make it back into the national consciousness through media/social media?

5 minutes ago, HackneyHawk said:

I very much don't think Speedway is being run the right way, hence my post.

Try to be adult and objective and see Speedway in the context of other professional sports.

The Isle of Wight sounds a great day out and the promoter seems very creative and dynamic (fantastic!)

Is Speedway an exhibition event much like a wall of death, where you see it amongst other exciting motorsport demonstrations and a bit of a 'one off'

Or is it an organised semi-pro/pro team sport which hopes to make it back into the national consciousness through media/social media?

Glad I'm not an adult in mind, playing with me yo yo at the British Final tonight, much more interesting! :rofl: