British Speedway Forum
lbw

Speedway to reinvent itself?

Seen this thread and also the 'Why Speedway is failing" video and subsequent comments, the latter of which is quite nuanced as it looks at specific issues and how the way they inter-relate cascades throughout the various levels - a neat way of looking at things, instead of the usual 'tinkering' that most people put forward.

Everyone seems to have the answer, everyone seems to know what can save the dirt track game etc. etc.

There's a whole generation of the population that doesn't even know what speedway is, for pity's sake. Plus it's _very_ poor value for money.

You use to hear a lot the phrase "It's dead... but it won't lie down". It's had it's time in the spotlight, and it was big, but it just hasn't kept up.

Probably needs an independent view to go anywhere, but I can't see it recovering, really. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by davidncohen
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, davidncohen said:

Seen this thread and also the 'Why Speedway is failing" video and subsequent comments, the latter of which is quite nuanced as it looks specific issues and how the way they inter-relate cascades throughout the various levels - a neat way of looking at things, instead of the usual 'tinkering' that most people put forward.

Everyone seems to have the answer, everyone seems to know what can save the dirt track game etc. etc.

There's a whole generation of the population that doesn't even know what speedway is, for pity's sake. Plus it's _very_ poor value for money.

You use to hear a lot the phrase "It's dead... but it won't lie down". It's had it's time in the spotlight, and it was big, but it just hasn't kept up.

Probably needs an independent view to go anywhere, but I can't see it recovering, really. Hope I'm wrong.

Your final sentence an independant view or a Barry Hearn type to figure to lead the Sport forward, has been knocked on the head in a fairly recent interview by the Chairman of the BSPL, however its seems he himself seems to like to dictate so maybe he should do as he says or is it say as he does ? ;).

20 hours ago, Trees said:

What if the stadiums aren't available to be used on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday?  

Do those clubs shut their doors?

What if clubs are doing ok on their league income on Mon/Thurs nights?

Maybe there are promoters out there who could promote an "evening of speed" or whatever you like to call it, surely they would be doing it if they really wanted/thought it worth the effort?

Brilliant idea it just highlights what a mess Speedway is in.

12 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Your final sentence an independant view or a Barry Hearn type to figure to lead the Sport forward, has been knocked on the head in a fairly recent interview by the Chairman of the BSPL, however its seems he himself seems to like to dictate so maybe he should do as he says or is it say as he does ? ;).

I fear that anybody with any credibility even approaching that of Barry Hearn wouldn't touch Speedway with a barge pole. You'd probably only attract the type of fly by night type merchants that currently run the sport and they would probably snuff it out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iainb said:

I fear that anybody with any credibility even approaching that of Barry Hearn wouldn't touch Speedway with a barge pole. You'd probably only attract the type of fly by night type merchants that currently run the sport and they would probably snuff it out.

I believe Barry Hearn has said on more than one occasion he isn't interested in speedway.

However the sport needs an fully independent governor & everything controlled centrally.

The big question is who?

12 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I believe Barry Hearn has said on more than one occasion he isn't interested in speedway.

However the sport needs an fully independent governor & everything controlled centrally.

The big question is who?

I said 5 years ago that UK speedway would be cooked as a professional sport in 10 years. I'm sticking to that prediction...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

I said 5 years ago that UK speedway would be cooked as a professional sport in 10 years. I'm sticking to that prediction...

Sadly I think you'll be proven right. The most depressing part of all this is the righting has been on the wall for the last 25-30 years and all the BSPA have achieved in that time to move the sport forward is a name change to BSPL

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Barry Hearn knows speedway hasn't a simple solution like he found for snooker and darts!  It would cost him an absolute fortune to get full control, millions and millions!!  

Just enjoy the speedway people!

4 minutes ago, Trees said:

Barry Hearn knows speedway hasn't a simple solution like he found for snooker and darts!  It would cost him an absolute fortune to get full control, millions and millions!!  

Just enjoy the speedway people!

Millions & millions for 20 licences a few tractors and rakes really? That a hell of a valuation.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Millions & millions for 20 licences a few tractors and rakes really? That a hell of a valuation.

No the whole stadiums, he'd want TOTAL CONTROL!

32 minutes ago, Trees said:

No the whole stadiums, he'd want TOTAL CONTROL!

What a daft statement! He doesn't own all the venues where snooker & darts are staged. 

He'd want total control of the club's no doubt but that would cost about 20 grand 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:22 PM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

What a daft statement! He doesn't own all the venues where snooker & darts are staged. 

He'd want total control of the club's no doubt but that would cost about 20 grand 

He would want total control, use of tracks whenever he wanted, to do to tracks whatever he wanted, he couldn't do that unless he owned the stadiums?

8 hours ago, Trees said:

He would want total control, use of tracks whenever he wanted, to do to tracks whatever he wanted, he couldn't do that unless he owned the stadiums?

To be far this is a pretty pointless argument as he has stated that he has zero interest in even looking at speedway.

But I'll make the point again that he doesn't own & have full control of any of the venues that he promotes the sports currently under his control.

So why would he need that with speedway?

If speedway was a big enough draw,profitable to the venues where it was staged & brought money into the local economy via visitors using local business then it would have far more control of the venues it uses. 

The biggest issue is that the cartel that currently controls UK speedway has no interest in opening up to outside help or handing the administration of the sport to an independent body.

They failed to capitalise on the sky investment.

They would rather continue with the broken business model they are currently using.

The very model that has seen a reduction in venues a massive reduction in riders partaking & an even bigger reduction in spectators.

35 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

To be far this is a pretty pointless argument as he has stated that he has zero interest in even looking at speedway.

But I'll make the point again that he doesn't own & have full control of any of the venues that he promotes the sports currently under his control.

So why would he need that with speedway?

If speedway was a big enough draw,profitable to the venues where it was staged & brought money into the local economy via visitors using local business then it would have far more control of the venues it uses. 

The biggest issue is that the cartel that currently controls UK speedway has no interest in opening up to outside help or handing the administration of the sport to an independent body.

They failed to capitalise on the sky investment.

They would rather continue with the broken business model they are currently using.

The very model that has seen a reduction in venues a massive reduction in riders partaking & an even bigger reduction in spectators.

Unfortunately one of speedway's biggest problems is that very few promotions own the stadium which restricts what can be done as regards upgrading etc unless they have a very understanding landlord. Recal one evening at Cowley where the public address system had failed on the back straight but on complaining the promoter's hands were tied as it was out of his control and down to the owners who were less than sympathetic (Doggy people only stood on the home straight and/or in the main stand)

On 8/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, davidncohen said:

but I can't see it recovering, really.

It will stagger on until there are too few tracks to operate the rider circus they have at present and too few fans to make it worth opening at each venue.  Five tracks in the top league in 2022 - and 4 to make the run offs?