British Speedway Forum
lbw

Speedway to reinvent itself?

39 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Something occurred to me last night while watching the telly. I'm not sure why it occurred last night, but it did.

Remember when all the house lights used to go off when a race was on, so the stadium was in darkness and only the track was lit up? When did that stop? Probably about 30 years ago, but it just came to me last night!

...even used to turn off the fairy lights strung up around the track at both Swindon & Poole!

You can't do that it makes it more watchable, exciting and spectacular.

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Something occurred to me last night while watching the telly. I'm not sure why it occurred last night, but it did.

Remember when all the house lights used to go off when a race was on, so the stadium was in darkness and only the track was lit up? When did that stop? Probably about 30 years ago, but it just came to me last night!

Probably Health & Safety.

8 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Never gets dark enough at the moment.

I heard the future of British speedway is pretty black, though?

52 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

You could almost substitute the word Rugby for Speedway. Didn't they re-brand to Super League around 25 years ago? Time moves on you need to keep re-inventing yourself to gain new interest. I doubt many RFL punters stopped going when the Super League was introduced and it probably attracted a few more in.

54 minutes ago, iainb said:

You could almost substitute the word Rugby for Speedway. Didn't they re-brand to Super League around 25 years ago? Time moves on you need to keep re-inventing yourself to gain new interest. I doubt many RFL punters stopped going when the Super League was introduced and it probably attracted a few more in.

...to be honest Rugby could re-invent itself numerous times and It still wouldn't grab my interest having being forced to play the wretched game at school!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...to be honest Rugby could re-invent itself numerous times and It still wouldn't grab my interest having being forced to play the wretched game at school!

You were probably forced (as I was) to play turgid old rugby union at school. League is much more interesting - to play, to watch and (in my case) to report on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Some would say Pearson's rant is designed to deflect attention from his shortcomings as a club owner.

Interestingly, Barrow Rugby League Club (in a town that once had speedway), who play in rugby league's third tier, have grown their crowds substantially this season, simply by giving away season tickets to children and offering free admission to those entering the ground two hours before kick-off. 'Secondary' spend has gone through the roof. No tinkering with the actual game!

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35202/barrow-raiders-in-crowd-boosting-initiatives

On the subject of speedway's need to reinvent itself, my wife (a speedway novice) accompanied me to Scunthorpe (last Friday) and Belle Vue (on Monday). First time I'd been to speedway in four years. A solicitor (hardly speedway's target market), my wife described the spectacle as "engaging" and is keen to go again.

Maybe part of the answer to speedway's dire attendances is to provide racing worth watching.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Some would say Pearson's rant is designed to deflect attention from his shortcomings as a club owner.

Interestingly, Barrow Rugby League Club (in a town that once had speedway), who play in rugby league's third tier, have grown their crowds substantially this season, simply by giving away season tickets to children and offering free admission to those entering the ground two hours before kick-off. 'Secondary' spend has gone through the roof. No tinkering with the actual game!

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/35202/barrow-raiders-in-crowd-boosting-initiatives

On the subject of speedway's need to reinvent itself, my wife (a speedway novice) accompanied me to Scunthorpe (last Friday) and Belle Vue (on Monday). First time I'd been to speedway in four years. A solicitor (hardly speedway's target market), my wife described the spectacle as "engaging" and is keen to go again.

Maybe part of the answer to speedway's dire attendances is to provide racing worth watching.

His obsession with private equity as a solution seems rather odd, given their modus operandi is generally to buy up businesses and strip out costs (and assets, transferring them to the ownership of related companies). The end result is generally very good for property developers and not so good for the businesses. The care home sector has been particularly crippled by these vultures.

1 hour ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

You were probably forced (as I was) to play turgid old rugby union at school. League is much more interesting - to play, to watch and (in my case) to report on.

Yes I was a Grammar School laddie and it was Union...not being of particular big build (still not!) used to get flattened by all the fat kids (and those who thought themselves 'hard' and got away with what most would consider bullying tactics) who 'excelled' at Rugby but who were hopeless at everything else sportwise!

Edited by steve roberts

Rugby saying the same as to my suggestion at the start of this topic. 

Keep the league format, as cricket keeps the county cricket, then totally blow that format into touch with sum quick fire handicap racing for a cup competition. 

Not rocket science. 

Edited by PirateShip

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Followed both RL and Speedway closely for a fair few years, and always thought a certain closeness between their operating models..

Eg's

Owners running the sport and making all the decisions with the usual vested interest rather than an independent body having total control for the common good. (The RFL exists but the Super League clubs rule the roost)..

Club 'success' therefore, being more important than a successful national team. (Something RU and Cricket cottoned onto and moved forward from immeasurably, and their domestic games then fed off this success)..

Loads of overseas players coming in rather than having development of UK based players (and guaranteed team places for them)..

Players getting some eye watering  contracts for a sport well down the sporting spectrum, and then trying to fund these contracts through sponsorship and debt, (supported by other businesses) rather than the inadequate gate receipts.. 

A very much "Open the doors and they will come" philosophy, with a view taken by those owners of "I love it as it's a very exciting sport so its bound to be attractive to everyone isnt it?"...

No national joined up marketing of the sport with each club doing "their own thing" at local level, with varying degrees of success (or failure)...

No set days or nights for each club, it used to be Sat and Sun and now it's any time at the behest of the broadcaster..

And. Play offs introduced that rendered many matches during the latter part of the season as "dead rubbers" given many of the same teams reached the play offs, (the ones with money), and the same others didnt...

As you say, swap the word Speedway for Rugby League..