British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

GP round 8 Togliatti Russia Saturday August 28th live on BT Sport

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think the points system is wrong. Score 15 points, get blown out in the semi and end up with much less? Unfair imo. 

Perhaps someone could work out what the current standings would be under points scored with last years system.

This was in twitter today

A7A20AE6-86EF-400F-82EC-71757E5B7AEB.jpeg

• Like 1

The track was almost as bad as the cameramen. Hope they have no plans to return!

13 minutes ago, hrhbig said:

can someone tell me why Fricke was in the semi, and not Janowski

Same points,3,2,2,1 Janowski beat Fricke but Janowski did not finish in Heat 6, excluded which counted in the count back 

16 minutes ago, hrhbig said:

can someone tell me why Fricke was in the semi, and not Janowski

Fricke 32210, Janowski 3221X  - the 0 trumps X

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Nothing wrong with the effort from the racers last night, they gave 100% as usual. Track was to blame.

Phil Morris is responsible for the track conditions. All he does is water the track too much. There were very long and boring track preparation breaks last night because of this, and it still did not improve the racing, there was hardly any overtakign in the first twelve heats.

But the racing got a little better towards the end and it did improve dramatically in the two semis and the final, when it really mattered. It is obvious that for most of the riders the heat races are just not worth taking any risks, due to that highly unpopular new point scoring system.

There's lots of hard work to do for DISCOVERY/EUROSPORT to restore the SGP series to its former glory next year. But I very much doubt that they will be the right people for that job. With them it could easily get worse, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Phil Morris is responsible for the track conditions. All he does is water the track too much. There were very long and boring track preparation breaks last night because of this, and it still did not improve the track, there was hardly any overtakign in the first twelve heats.

But the racing got a littele better towards teh end and it did improve dramatically in the two semis and the final, when it really mattered. It is obvious that the heat races are just not worth taking any risks, due to that highly unpopular new point scoring system.

There's lots of hard work to do for DISCOVERY/EUROSPORT to restore the SGP series to its former glory next year. But I very much doubt that they will be the right people for that job. With them it could easily get worse, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

Basically are back to the same old story, let the locals do the track, dont mess with tracks ypu know nothing about.

• Like 2

Just watched the GP. 

Glad I didn't watch it live as I was at Leicester v Plymouth, yep I'm not like some who don't go to their local track when speedway is on tv at the same time. 

The GP was total and utter garbage! Shocking track, shocking camera work, and add in everything else Pearson & Tatum doin their usual Bill & Ben the flower pot men double act, oh my total crappo! 

That said it was good to see Tai have a better night but then the track even got the better of him in the end. 

Was better to be at Leicester & watching young Dan Thompson passing and beating GP legend Crump :t:

Crumpy may be a long way from what he was but I'm sure Dan will be well made up with that one. Well done Dan :party:

2 hours ago, screm said:

Good on BSI for taking SGP to a new venue in Togliatti but now they have  hopefully they won't be back.

It was only half full this year, how many people will go back to watch that load of crap and it will hardly entice people to go after watching it live last night.

Let’s be fair under this new scoring points system the first 12 heats are gate and go with little interest in passing or racing with riders generally accepting positions after the first bend.

The fourth and fifth series of qualifying races are generally better as riders make a serious attempt to qualify for the semis.

The semis and final are generally very competitive as riders are desperate to make the final and invariably take chances to try and get through and then win the final.

I would have thought every point counting and just the winner getting 25 would satisfy both camps, although I don’t have any problem with the old system where every race point counted, it certainly made for better race meetings.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Fricke 32210, Janowski 3221X  - the 0 trumps X

This doesn't explain why Madsen finished ahead of Woffinden. Points awarded for 3rd and 4th in the semis are based upon those scored in the qualifying heats. Both finished last in their respective semi but Woffinden scored 13 and so should have been awarded 10  but Madsen, scoring 10 in the qualifiers, 9.

https://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/7919/sgp-scoring-and-qualification-changes

5 minutes ago, tocha said:

This doesn't explain why Madsen finished ahead of Woffinden. Points awarded for 3rd and 4th in the semis are based upon those scored in the qualifying heats. Both finished last in their respective semi but Woffinden scored 13 and so should have been awarded 10  but Madsen, scoring 10 in the qualifiers, 9.

https://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/7919/sgp-scoring-and-qualification-changes

Woffy didn't finish in his semi though, so i believe Madsen's last beats his DNF

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Woffy didn't finish in his semi though, so i believe Madsen's last beats his DNF

Probably the only reason but such an instance is not covered in the SGP statement unless there has been a subsequent amendment.

Of the two third-placed semi-final riders, the one who finished highest after the heats will be ranked fifth and receive 12 championship points, while the other will be ranked sixth and earn 11 championship points – with the existing countback system used to resolve any ties if riders finished level.

Likewise, the fourth-placed semi-final rider who scores highest in the heats will be ranked seventh, receiving 10 championship points, and the other fourth finisher will finish eighth and earn nine.

Edited by tocha
missed out part of post.

40 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It was only half full this year, how many people will go back to watch that load of crap and it will hardly entice people to go after watching it live last night.

I think they'd be promoting the Artem Laguta angle rather than the crap racing angle... by the looks of the crowd most people seemed quite happy with it

8 minutes ago, tocha said:

Probably the only reason but such an instance is not covered in the SGP statement unless there has been a subsequent amendment.

Of the two third-placed semi-final riders, the one who finished highest after the heats will be ranked fifth and receive 12 championship points, while the other will be ranked sixth and earn 11 championship points – with the existing countback system used to resolve any ties if riders finished level.

Likewise, the fourth-placed semi-final rider who scores highest in the heats will be ranked seventh, receiving 10 championship points, and the other fourth finisher will finish eighth and earn nine.

From the rule book

Positions 5th to 8th in the Final Meeting Classification will be according to the results from the Semi Finals (Race 21 & 22). The 2 Riders who finish 3rd in each of the Semi Finals will be 5th and 6th in the Final Meeting Classification, with the higher ranked rider from Intermediate Classification 5th and the lower ranked rider 6th. This rule will FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship 29 apply if both riders complete, or fail to complete the Semi Final. If only one of these riders fail to complete the Semi Final for any reason, he will be placed 6th in the final meeting classification. The 2 Riders who finish 4th in each of the Semi Finals will be 7th and 8th in the Final Meeting Classification, with the higher ranked rider from Intermediate Classification 7th and the lower ranked rider 8th. This rule will apply if both riders complete, or fail to complete the Semi Final. If only one of these riders fail to complete the Semi Final for any reason, he will be placed 8th in the final meeting classification.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1