British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

GP round 8 Togliatti Russia Saturday August 28th live on BT Sport

10 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

From the rule book

Positions 5th to 8th in the Final Meeting Classification will be according to the results from the Semi Finals (Race 21 & 22). The 2 Riders who finish 3rd in each of the Semi Finals will be 5th and 6th in the Final Meeting Classification, with the higher ranked rider from Intermediate Classification 5th and the lower ranked rider 6th. This rule will FIM Speedway Grand Prix World Championship 29 apply if both riders complete, or fail to complete the Semi Final. If only one of these riders fail to complete the Semi Final for any reason, he will be placed 6th in the final meeting classification. The 2 Riders who finish 4th in each of the Semi Finals will be 7th and 8th in the Final Meeting Classification, with the higher ranked rider from Intermediate Classification 7th and the lower ranked rider 8th. This rule will apply if both riders complete, or fail to complete the Semi Final. If only one of these riders fail to complete the Semi Final for any reason, he will be placed 8th in the final meeting classification.

Thanks for clarifying this. The original statement was incomplete.

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think the points system is wrong. Score 15 points, get blown out in the semi and end up with much less? Unfair imo. 
Perhaps someone could work out what the current standings would be under points scored with last years system.

So you missed the interesting bit of the meeting…… they did show a comparison part way through…… Laguna would have been leading by about 5 I think it was.

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Think the points system is wrong. Score 15 points, get blown out in the semi and end up with much less? Unfair imo. 

Perhaps someone could work out what the current standings would be under points scored with last years system.

Is it fair for the winner of the GP to get the most points?

Is if fair for riders in the final to get fewer points than those who didn't reach the final?

To be honest, the system IS fair (the same for everyone), and you just have to remember that 20 heats are just a qualifier for the semis, where everyone starts from scratch.

17 minutes ago, chunky said:

Is it fair for the winner of the GP to get the most points?

Is if fair for riders in the final to get fewer points than those who didn't reach the final?

To be honest, the system IS fair (the same for everyone), and you just have to remember that 20 heats are just a qualifier for the semis, where everyone starts from scratch.

Mikebv i think it was posted earlier in the season regarding doing away with the semi`s and having 4 finals D, C, B and A

D= lowest 4 scorers GP points    4 , 3 , 2 and 1

C = 2nd lowest scorers GP points  8 , 7 , 6 and 5

B= 2nd highest scorers GP points   12 , 11, 10 and 9

A - highest scorers GP points  20, 18, 16, and 14 

every race counts to get into the highest  final one can 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Mikebv i think it was posted earlier in the season regarding doing away with the semi`s and having 4 finals D, C, B and A

D= lowest 4 scorers GP points    4 , 3 , 2 and 1

C = 2nd lowest scorers GP points  8 , 7 , 6 and 5

B= 2nd highest scorers GP points   12 , 11, 10 and 9

A - highest scorers GP points  20, 18, 16, and 14 

every race counts to get into the highest  final one can 

Seems reasonable.

I would just tweak the final to 25, 20, 17, 14.  Makes it worth fighting for every place. A 5 point gain is worth fighting more then a 2 point.

8 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Nothing wrong with the effort from the racers last night, they gave 100% as usual. Track was to blame.

I think with the new points system riders ride within themselves to qualify for the semis then give it everything, the result of the scoring system.

44 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Seems reasonable.

I would just tweak the final to 25, 20, 17, 14.  Makes it worth fighting for every place. A 5 point gain is worth fighting more then a 2 point.

I Wouldn’t because it could widen the series points too much, plus people would still say that someone got in the A final with 10 points and walked away with 25.( which still would happen with 20 :))

35 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I Wouldn’t because it could widen the series points too much, plus people would still say that someone got in the A final with 10 points and walked away with 25.( which still would happen with 20 :))

If you're really worried about that, just give everyone the same number of points... :rofl:

I would still have the top 3 in the final as the top 3 on the rostrum.

I'd give 20 points for winning the final and go on race points for all the others. that way every race still matters, but you still get the big points for winning the final.

I would keep the old scoring system as we had it, all race counts for the world championship, and the scoring in every race is 3-2-1-0, simple as that, easy to understand, and totally fair for every rider.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I would still have the top 3 in the final as the top 3 on the rostrum.

I'd give 20 points for winning the final and go on race points for all the others. that way every race still matters, but you still get the big points for winning the final.

So if you win all 7 rides you lose a point ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

I would keep the old scoring system as we had it, all race counts for the world championship, and the scoring in every race is 3-2-1-0, simple as that, easy to understand, and totally fair for every rider.

Is it fair that a rider could win the GP and drop further behind the guys he just beat?

Is it fair that a rider could win every GP and not even finish in the Top 8 at the end of the year?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Is it fair that a rider could win the GP and drop further behind the guys he just beat?

Is it fair that a rider could win every GP and not even finish in the Top 8 at the end of the year?

yes it is, because he earns exactly what he scores in all of his races that night. Winning a final of a Grand Prix meeting is fine and sees him standing on top of the podium as the GP winner on the night, but it is all races (seven races, if he reaches the final) that count for the championship, and if he was not able to beat his opponents in the heat races it is only fair that he does not score the most points. 

15 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

yes it is, because he earns exactly what he scores in all of his races that night. Winning a final of a Grand Prix meeting is fine and sees him standing on top of the podium as the GP winner on the night, but it is all races (seven races, if he reaches the final) that count for the championship, and if he was not able to beat his opponents in the heat races it is only fair that he does not score the most points. 

It's a great sport when the winner doesn't score most points...

"Oh, I won every GP, but I didn't even finish in the first three..."

This is why I have a problem with mixed formats.  Have round-robin OR knockout; combining the two leads to problems.

Edited by chunky

On 8/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

I guarantee we will see a far superior meeting at Wimborne Road tomorrow afternoon.

Do you still stand by that guarantee Steve?

• Haha 1