British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

GP round 8 Togliatti Russia Saturday August 28th live on BT Sport

The old system was better every race counted I thought the idea of the gp was to find the most consistent rider over the year  in my eyes the best way is that EVERY race matters and counts towards the final outcome. If they carry on with this system I would prefer the old one off world final no silly semi s no silly finals  just 5 rides to get it right. It would be interesting to see who could handle the pressure  one bad ride and it’s almost certainly over not like now where you can have a couple of poor rides and still win the meeting 

just my opinion of course 

If the world championship was decided by one meeting Doyle would never be world speedway champion. Only championship he would win would false start-tape breaking.

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Mikebv i think it was posted earlier in the season regarding doing away with the semi`s and having 4 finals D, C, B and A

D= lowest 4 scorers GP points    4 , 3 , 2 and 1

C = 2nd lowest scorers GP points  8 , 7 , 6 and 5

B= 2nd highest scorers GP points   12 , 11, 10 and 9

A - highest scorers GP points  20, 18, 16, and 14 

every race counts to get into the highest  final one can 

This was the original format which ran from 1995 - 1997.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

If the world championship was decided by one meeting Doyle would never be world speedway champion. Only championship he would win would false start-tape breaking.

Doyle was the best rider in the series for two years, injury robbed him of the title in 2016. Fully deserved his World Title in 2017.

• Like 3

I agree with most of what had been said on this topic. The GP's in their current form just aren't doing it for me anymore. After a lengthy absence I got back into Speedway in 2014 and couldn't wait for each GP to be televised. I also went to Cardiff four times, Poland three times and  twice to Prague. Great times I have to say but there is now something seriously lacking which has been evident for the past couple of years at least. 

The points scoring system doesn't do it for me and I think they should revert back to what it was - every point counts. There are several riders at the moment who are just making up the numbers and when they're out on track you can pretty much predict the result. There don't seem to be any riders in the Nikki P mould and the lack of any controversy seems to have taken the excitement away. In effect, the GPs are very much becoming "same old, same old" and in my view a total revamp is required.

As things stand, I would much rather watch British Speedway (didn't think I'd be saying that four years ago) and I really look forward to the matches on Eurosport. The stadiums etc might not be up to much etc but most matches I've seen have had some reasonably good racing with the odd bit of controversy thrown in. I think at the end of the day I probably prefer team racing as opposed to individual events.

Anyway, back to the GP's, I hope there are major changes planned for next year (different format, new stadiums etc) to get that buzz back. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

I would be hapy to leave the points the way it is at the moment, concentrate on

1) decent race tracks, and that includes GP Challenge where 3 of the following years riders come from.

2) cut out time wastage ie a restart due to tape infringement, riders go direct to start.

Sorry to keep harping on about it but how many times did they mention Max Fricke has already qualified for next year.

Nothing against him but FFS someone have the sense to have the GP Challenge after the final GP

12 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Sorry to keep harping on about it but how many times did they mention Max Fricke has already qualified for next year.

Nothing against him but FFS someone have the sense to have the GP Challenge after the final GP

Hasn't Max Fricke improved steadily over the last couple of years, I've been quite impressed with him this year, just goes about his business without any hype or fuss (except all those mentions about the GP challenge) quietly gaining the points, got a nice tidy style. Currently the top Aussie in the standings ahead of Doyley and has probably justified being selected ahead of Jack Holder by Lemo a couple of years back.

• Like 1