Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

How Well is Your Club Promoted?

21 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

Kent.....not much.  An occasional mention in a local newspaper....very occasional

No signs, posters, radio, TV, appearances etc etc etc

If I ran a team, I'd design a really modern looking, classy car sticker with some essential ingredients such as the club logo and clear 'SPEEDWAY TEAM' on it and give them out free to ever single person that attends.  Cheaper than you'd think and car stickers get seen ALOT

That's simply not the case, the riders do TV interviews every meeting, and it usually features in the Friday evening news on South East ITV Station Meridian tonight.

Also bbc radio Kent mention it quite often. And there is also a close tie up with sittingbournes own radio station

Len has also every year produced thousands of posters and fliers, and supplied them to fans to distribute in thier own local areas, this scheme is known as fans force.

Then there is the carnival scene, where the club has a float representing speedway in each town.

Also the Kent messenger group (countywide), and the more locally sittingbourne rags, all fearure weekly reports and previews too.

I think we can all agree the king of promotion are the Wightlink Warriors, and them seemingly never stop promoting thier club. Even they found island residents at recent meetings gave stumbled across the racing whilst claiming they never knew speedway existed on the Island.

What that tells me is even with a consistently high energy promotional effort, people will always slip through the net. Can most clubs do more? Certainly, but actually when you scratch under the surface there are plenty of clubs doing a hell of a lot of work out their to bring more people in.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, chunky said:

That is an all too common occurrence at tracks that stage greyhound or other motorsports.

I recently stumbled on an online article about Plough Lane, and there was no indication that they ever held speedway...

When i cleared all the Greyhound racing equipment out of the old Wembley, there was a stadium tour going on at the same time. I stood there on the hallowed turf and listened, guess what, no mention of speedway. A sport that regularly attracted massive crowds was airbrushed from history.

At my club Ipswich I don't think anything is done promoting outside of the norm,,, your usual Facebook posts to fans already following. They have a stand at the Suffolk show every year,,,but do they give free or discounted tickets out I wouldn't know. 

Ipswich do have one of the biggest, if not the biggest average attendance though,,,,but I'm sure much more Could be done. Answering the questions on their Facebook page would be a start. 

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

When i cleared all the Greyhound racing equipment out of the old Wembley, there was a stadium tour going on at the same time. I stood there on the hallowed turf and listened, guess what, no mention of speedway. A sport that regularly attracted massive crowds was airbrushed from history.

I did the Wembley tour and I remember that there was no mention of speedway...it was all geared towards its football history.

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Online promotion only makes regular speedway fans aware that there's a meeting coming up and they already know that. It's trying to seduce the newbies into speedway that's the hard bit. 

I think you're wrong, when they promote on the internet the fans should be sharing and retweeting their posts so it reaches all their followers then maybe their followers do the same thing so the word gets out to thousands. The trouble here is fans don't share or retweet, they just like posts, twits!  Shame with riders, they need to do the same ....

• Like 1

I took grandson to new Wembley just before Covid. There was a small speedway display, with a repeating film the wrong way round!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

At my club Ipswich I don't think anything is done promoting outside of the norm,,, your usual Facebook posts to fans already following. They have a stand at the Suffolk show every year,,,but do they give free or discounted tickets out I wouldn't know. 

Ipswich do have one of the biggest, if not the biggest average attendance though,,,,but I'm sure much more Could be done. Answering the questions on their Facebook page would be a start. 

Haven't Ippo got something going on with Ipswich Town?

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

Haven't Ippo got something going on with Ipswich Town?

Yes sponsors one of the players,  also close affiliation with Ipswich star and BBC radio Suffolk. 

• Thanks 1

I would say that Ipswich social media activity and website are one of strongest in UK speedway. They do enjoy great coverage from the local paper including live meeting updates on the Ipswich star website, BBC radio Suffolk and the other local station town 102.

Hence they probably enjoy the best average attendance figures in the UK.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, iainb said:

Which promotion was that, can you remember?

I was looking at the Leicester admission prices and it's just a £3 reduction for students at £14 and in a city with 2 universities there is no mention of Speedway on the student union website. They should be looking at students for a fiver and get the rest in bar takings. During term time get the Speedway done by 8:30pm and get a local upcoming band on for the 2nd half like they do at the horse racing.

Maybe they think that there's no long term gain as once a student has done their course they move back home and stop coming to Leicester.

And this is not just a Leicester thing, no club in the country does this kind of thing as far as I'm aware.

Unfortunately it in a lot of cases it all seems like it's too much trouble to go to.

No they wouldn't because the bar is on a lease and is not run by the club!

17 hours ago, Badge said:

Yes sponsors one of the players,  also close affiliation with Ipswich star and BBC radio Suffolk. 

But don't see how sponsoring a football player will get anymore into Foxhall,,,would be good to know though how many people paid and went during a season because of it. And the radio thing I would sort of class as the norm. Also can't see the fans of the future,, eg younger people listening to radio Suffolk imo,, yes maybe a few but hardly any. I'm not a youngster anymore,, but any of those type of BBC stations I wouldn't go anywhere near. 

14 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I would say that Ipswich social media activity and website are one of strongest in UK speedway. They do enjoy great coverage from the local paper including live meeting updates on the Ipswich star website, BBC radio Suffolk and the other local station town 102.

Hence they probably enjoy the best average attendance figures in the UK.

They do put out on social media,,, but if they don't answer questions on there,, people are less likely to risk turning up,,,, last Monday lots of people asked if meeting still on and stuff like that,,, no answers,,, do you think they risked attending? Not all of us live in Ipswich,,, in fact I would say there is a big chunk of fans that don't live in Ipswich 

49 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

But don't see how sponsoring a football player will get anymore into Foxhall,,,would be good to know though how many people paid and went during a season because of it. And the radio thing I would sort of class as the norm. Also can't see the fans of the future,, eg younger people listening to radio Suffolk imo,, yes maybe a few but hardly any. I'm not a youngster anymore,, but any of those type of BBC stations I wouldn't go anywhere near. 

By sponsoring a football player,  the affiliation with #itfc means loads and loads of coverage by the football club to the fans.

15 minutes ago, Badge said:

By sponsoring a football player,  the affiliation with #itfc means loads and loads of coverage by the football club to the fans.

Would love to know how many bums that puts on seats,,, I would imagine most town supporters live in Ipswich,, so probably know of the speedway.  Don't ever see speedway mentioned in Colchester gazette,, in reality only 20 mins away,, and a big population 

3 hours ago, Skodaman said:

No they wouldn't because the bar is on a lease and is not run by the club!

Ah, there's a whole new topic there! I'm sure Leicester will have some agreement that's beneficial to the club that's based on sales :t: