British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

How Well is Your Club Promoted?

8 hours ago, Skodaman said:

No they wouldn't because the bar is on a lease and is not run by the club!

The same scenario existed during the Purchase tenure at Cowley.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, iainb said:

Which promotion was that, can you remember?

I was looking at the Leicester admission prices and it's just a £3 reduction for students at £14 and in a city with 2 universities there is no mention of Speedway on the student union website. They should be looking at students for a fiver and get the rest in bar takings. During term time get the Speedway done by 8:30pm and get a local upcoming band on for the 2nd half like they do at the horse racing.

Maybe they think that there's no long term gain as once a student has done their course they move back home and stop coming to Leicester.

And this is not just a Leicester thing, no club in the country does this kind of thing as far as I'm aware.

Unfortunately it in a lot of cases it all seems like it's too much trouble to go to.

Birminghams prices are certainly competitive as I'm sure they let 16-22yr olds in for a fiver, which is student aged, I think 12-16 is £2 and under 11s go in free. The centre green kids entertainment is something that the promotion have been doing for at least the last 4 or 5 years, only stopped by covid recently, same with the pits visits and track walk, so Birmingham have been doing good things. 

• Like 2

King's Lynn do quite well - though tbf there are very few things to do in the Fens, as in not much competition for live entertainment - unless watching saloon cars make dangerous overtakes of tractors on the A17 counts as entertainment!

With social media riders contribute a large amount to promotion as well - or can if they wish. However at Lynn the boys have got so much stick this season I understand that they feel it's not worth their while.

8 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Imagine if were left to the forum members to "promote" speedway :rofl:

...probably the sport would be in a lot better condition! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Imagine if were left to the forum members to "promote" speedway :rofl:

There are a lot of people on here with some great ideas.

Leicester's "promotion" of one of the "plum" fixtures for tonight's match against Glasgow (which has now been cancelled) was literally non-existent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

There are a lot of people on here with some great ideas.

Leicester's "promotion" of one of the "plum" fixtures for tonight's match against Glasgow (which has now been cancelled) was literally non-existent.

I thought putting up a Facebook posting saying BUY TICKETS HERE at 7.30a.m. this morning particularly inept given a track inspection was planned for 8.00a.m. and the match was predictably off by 8.30a.m.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, heat9coffee said:

King's Lynn do quite well - though tbf there are very few things to do in the Fens, as in not much competition for live entertainment - unless watching saloon cars make dangerous overtakes of tractors on the A17 counts as entertainment!

With social media riders contribute a large amount to promotion as well - or can if they wish. However at Lynn the boys have got so much stick this season I understand that they feel it's not worth their while.

Just come back from a holiday on the Norfolk Broads, saw some leaflets in Roy's at Hoveton advertising banger and stock car racing with fixtures, speedway mentioned as well.

Can remember offering to do some leaflets distribution around Wiltshire for Swindon, free of charge, as I was travelling round for work. One sponsor said there may be some leaflets up in the bar..... no bloody enthusiasm!!! The speedway was always well publicised in local media.

Speedway, like the dogs, is a bit of a council estate sport, belongs more to 20th.century, little future unfortunately ..:unsure:

Edited by auntie doris
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...probably the sport would be in a lot better condition! :D

Nearly spat my coffee out at that one

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The question is.....

How can you promote something which is, quite honestly drab at best right now?

Promoters from week to week don't know who will be riding.

It's time to get back to basics...upright, reliable bikes, local riders if possible who are willing to give up an hour or so of their day to take their bike to local schools and give a talk about this wonderful sport.

It's not hard to promote this sport, it was done quite well in the 80's/90's but the powers that be seem to just expect us to turn up week after week to watch what is essentially 15 minutes of "entertainment".

11 minutes ago, Dink said:

The question is.....

How can you promote something which is, quite honestly drab at best right now?

Promoters from week to week don't know who will be riding.

It's time to get back to basics...upright, reliable bikes, local riders if possible who are willing to give up an hour or so of their day to take their bike to local schools and give a talk about this wonderful sport.

It's not hard to promote this sport, it was done quite well in the 80's/90's but the powers that be seem to just expect us to turn up week after week to watch what is essentially 15 minutes of "entertainment".

So to clarify clubs should only field local riders if possible, using upright machinery that is 'reliable'?  Obviously they will have time to visit schools with the bikes as most of the riders will be of retirement age! Reliability is a joke too as most are donkeys years old running on parts that are no longer manufactured and therefore are breakdown galore.  Once speedway is dead and buried in the ground can a new sport with new machinery be brought in, until then no rider be they young and upcoming or established are going to sell their current suite of machinery in favour of 'standardised' upright gear.

The on track action has always been largely credible when its between matched riders. What sinks it is ridiculous rules. However most have said before many don't care a jot about rules, regulations or even guests but thats because they don't even know the sport is happening on their doorstep. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dink said:

but the powers that be seem to just expect us to turn up week after week to watch what is essentially 15 minutes of "entertainment".

It certainly stopped being 15 mins of entertainment for me about five to ten years ago - possibly 5 mins on  a good night. That is what drove me away from attending regularly ( pre-Covid ). Drab is a kind word for what it has dissolved into being nowadays. I don't think it will ever recover to be a viable sport in the UK. One or two more stadiums will be lost to housing or industrial estates and that will be it. There is no place for it in the UK  after the promoters inability to "do a Poland" became apparent.

On 8/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, iainb said:

There are a lot of people on here with some great ideas

When I was a much more enthusiastic fan I collected good ideas from a group of fans. Got no reply.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

When I was a much more enthusiastic fan I collected good ideas from a group of fans. Got no reply.

... watch this space

I assume that whatever Peterborough are doing to promote, it seems to be working if last night's delayed start due to massive queues of fans wanting to get in?!!