British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny the spud

British final 2021

Having been in Manchester over the weekend to watch United, I did spend a fair few hours, with thousands of others, in and around the city centre....

I was a little surprised to be honest to not see any promotion of this event in the host city, especially with it being THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP of one of those "Elite" sports mentioned during lockdown...

Today however, I now realise why no one had time to run a fan zone, or get some local TV coverage for the meeting...

Clearly holding talks around banning a second reserve from the meeting was the most important thing to sort out...

Quite right too. I am sure all Speedway fans would agree that this was far more of a priority than actually actively marketing their own competition to a conurbation of 2.5 million people...

What is the first prize tonight to help hype up the meeting and attract a huge crowd?

£30k, £40k, £50k?

Or maybe its one of those GTR bikes they bought a few years ago?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Having been in Manchester over the weekend to watch United, I did spend a fair few hours, with thousands of others, in and around the city centre....

I was a little surprised to be honest to not see any promotion of this event in the host city, especially with it being THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP of one of those "Elite" sports mentioned during lockdown...

Today however, I now realise why no one had time to run a fan zone, or get some local TV coverage for the meeting...

Clearly holding talks around banning a second reserve from the meeting was the most important thing to sort out...

Quite right too. I am sure all Speedway fans would agree that this was far more of a priority than actually actively marketing their own competition to a conurbation of 2.5 million people...

What is the first prize tonight to help hype up the meeting and attract a huge crowd?

£30k, £40k, £50k?

Prize a £50  postal order and 5000 Green Shield Stamps.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Prize a £50  postal order and 5000 Green Shield Stamps.

Luncheon Vouchers.....

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Without trying to sound like I'm justifying the pathetic BSPL decision,  I don't think you can apply "restriction of trade" here. If they have the summary powers to impose disciplinary action for breaches of their rules, then so be it. No different to a footballer being suspended by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute etc etc. It still doesn't make their decision, based on whatever grounds "in the best interests of British Speedway" though.  More nails for the coffin, anyone?

But is it a breach of any rules, let alone legal ones?

31 minutes ago, mikebv said:

£30k, £40k, £50k?

Have you for one minute considered that it may be a sell out? No! You just come on here and moan :rofl:

I guess we'll find out at 7:15 :lol:

:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have you for one minute considered that it may be a sell out? No! You just come on here and moan :rofl:

I guess we'll find out at 7:15 :lol:

:cheers:

Looking at the number of seats in the Grandstand still showing 'Red', I presume everyone is having their tea before going along.. :D

I am currently stood outside in the queue with Sir Kier and  chrismorton .... :D

• Haha 2

Can this meeting be seen via BT sport Or Sky Sports? if so what channel........ Many thanks.

Just now, Ghosty said:

Can this meeting be seen via BT sport Or Sky Sports? if so what channel........ Many thanks.

Eurosport- Sky channel 411

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Looking at the number of seats in the Grandstand still showing 'Red', I presume everyone is having their tea before going along.. :D

I am currently stood outside in the queue with Sir Kier and  chrismorton .... :D

Looks like you were right, please accept my unreserved apologies :oops:

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Without trying to sound like I'm justifying the pathetic BSPL decision,  I don't think you can apply "restriction of trade" here. If they have the summary powers to impose disciplinary action for breaches of their rules, then so be it. No different to a footballer being suspended by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute etc etc. It still doesn't make their decision, based on whatever grounds "in the best interests of British Speedway" though.  More nails for the coffin, anyone?

BSPL "rules" still have to abide by the law, whether Employment or Restraint of Trade laws. As Vince said, the ACU have previously tried to ban riders who've rode under other organising bodies, when taken to court they lost. Are the BSPL trying to deter other riders by making an example of Connor? 

Edited by Rich
Spelling

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

Looks like you were right, please accept my unreserved apologies :oops:

Lucky guess....

:D

At least they have got some decent camera angles at the start, for once, and maybe have prioritised the seats to be sold which are to be in shot the most?

Hence it looks a 'decent' crowd if you take away the far right of the  grandstand as you look...

Standing looks a bit 'socially distanced'....  -_-

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Lucky guess....

:D

At least they have got some decent camera angles at the start, for once, and maybe have prioritised the seats to be sold which are to be in shot the most?

Hence it looks a 'decent' crowd if you take away the far right of the  grandstand as you look...

Standing looks a bit 'socially distanced'....  -_-

There ain't many in the south stand either

4 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Has there been anything ‘official’  from ‘official’ sources to say that this is the case ? or is it just hearsay ?

The reason I ask is that he’s a Belle Vue rider and I don't suppose they would be happy at a ‘ban’ for their rider and the BSPL have gone public saying they are happy for riders to appear at the I.O.W. so this does not make sense.

I think the way BSPL worded it was that they fully supported "amateur" racing on the IOW... then decided that it isnt amateur if you are paying riders and charging people to get in (that's why Lydd are exempt from all this). So what about the NDL? Suddenly they dont class it as amateur, even though they had always previously said it was.  A vendetta? Surely not!

• Like 1

The BSPL don't have to abide by employment law, they simply don't offer a rider a team place anywhere, this has occoured many times in recent years to riders who were , lets say, off dubious character.