British Speedway Forum

Thanks for the replies guys. 

So basically because IoW are 'only' doing exhibition type stuff and entertaining with speedway with a few other things thrown in the BSPA threw their toys out of the pram.  As a result because Coles took part in an event promoting speedway and trying to get it to appeal to holidaymakers as a good night out the BSPA are bully boys and saying its their ball and Connors not playing with it as far as the british final goes

Typical

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lioness said:

Thanks for the replies guys. 

So basically because IoW are 'only' doing exhibition type stuff and entertaining with speedway with a few other things thrown in the BSPA threw their toys out of the pram.  As a result because Coles took part in an event promoting speedway and trying to get it to appeal to holidaymakers as a good night out the BSPA are bully boys and saying its their ball and Connors not playing with it as far as the british final goes

Typical

BSPA made similar threats to anyone in the past riding at Lydd, because they didn't operate as part of the BSPA cartel.  It is wholly petty and very short-sighted.  It's long since overdue that the P was removed from their name.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It's long since overdue that the P was removed from their name.

definitely 'taking the P'

If Coles was told what would happen then surely he can have no complaints.  Not saying I agree with the BSPL stance,  but rules are rules at the end of the day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Good job ivan didnt think the same after 3 world titles !

Speedway now is completely different to when Ivan was riding. 

British Speedway was the place to ride back then but now as soon as a rider gets a sniff of riding in Poland with the monetary reward on offer who can blame them for staying over there. 

25 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

If Coles was told what would happen then surely he can have no complaints.  Not saying I agree with the BSPL stance,  but rules are rules at the end of the day

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but it would be useful to hear from all sides involved here rather than just one before being able to form a proper opinion on it.

23 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

and if he was told it was ok only for a back track ? 

28 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

I think he can have a legitimate complaint because the reason for sanctions against anyone competing at IoW or another non-BSPA track are 'not in the interests of speedway' but about being in the cartel or not.  It is not really much different to Poland restricting their riders competing in leagues overseas but the difference here is that it's all speedway in Britain and the promotion and benefit the IoW brings to that surely has to be recognised.

Has it been officially announced anywhere that Coles is out due to riding at the IOW?

If it is official, maybe Nigel and Kelvin will mention it tonight?  :rolleyes:...

After they tell us what starting system is being used obviously..:D

• Haha 1

In travelodge on Hyde Road, the sun is trying it's best to shine after earlier rain when I was eating luvvly junk food in KFC on Hyde Road 

All systems GO! 

C'mon the Pirates riders King, Worrall and ermmmm sorry Rory but Charles Wright is the defending champion. 

Unless I've missed something wasn't Rory claiming to be British last year, didn't want to be called Roo Boy etc, but now, in the Star, he says he won it as an Australian. 

Dunno gone are the days when Commonwealth riders were seen to be part of it........controversial?? 

I’ve never given all that much consideration to all this stuff, but I certainly think that the BSPL first and foremost should be trying to keep as many tracks as possible operational.

I was never particularly sympathetic to the IOW’s reasons for pulling out of the NDL but I don’t like them being ostracised. Every effort should also be made to get Buxton staging some kind of racing.

It’s all a big problem to which I don’t have answers. I always thought it was wrong to let Birmingham and Eastbourne drop into the third tier of British Speedway but we can see what’s happened to them by trying to race in the second tier. One problem is that too many highly paid riders are allowed to ride in the second tier which should be set at a lower standard. But try telling that to fans at that level.

Meanwhile, Connor Coles of all people suffers.

36 minutes ago, Al Stewart said:

I’ve never given all that much consideration to all this stuff, but I certainly think that the BSPL first and foremost should be trying to keep as many tracks as possible operational.

I was never particularly sympathetic to the IOW’s reasons for pulling out of the NDL but I don’t like them being ostracised. Every effort should also be made to get Buxton staging some kind of racing.

It’s all a big problem to which I don’t have answers. I always thought it was wrong to let Birmingham and Eastbourne drop into the third tier of British Speedway but we can see what’s happened to them by trying to race in the second tier. One problem is that too many highly paid riders are allowed to ride in the second tier which should be set at a lower standard. But try telling that to fans at that level.

Meanwhile, Connor Coles of all people suffers.

The issue you have now though is that the more tracks you have the harder it would be to find enough riders..

The campaign to get Rye House back is laudable, and Buxton coming back could possibly work. Then you have Oxford and the strides being taken there to resurrect the sport.. 

Bottom line is, should all three come back, (and the IOW potentially too), where would  those 28 riders needed come from?

And as for the 2nd Tier?

It's the same virtually as the top tier due to the riders needing to ride as much as they do, therefore you cant dilute the 2nd tier to make it cheaper for teams to run in that league as 90% of all riders have to compete (by necessity) in both top leagues..

Those who run the sport certainly like painting themselves into corners dont they?.

How do they get out of it?

Who knows...

• Like 1