British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Probably! lol But wasn't trying to start an argument, it was a rhoetical question tbh!

I remember Tai turned it down when they tried to put him in one of the qualifying rounds when they did that. Was a few years ago. If you keep turning down invites then eventually you stop getting invited!

Are you being sexist? Another rheotical question btw.  ;):D

Have been thinking about this and apart from last year when several riders opted out and of course the British season didn't happen I don't think Robert has turned it down before, he was injured in 2019 and missed a final a few years prior to that due to breaking down on the way to his semi. So perhaps he should have been asked as he was far from alone in turning it down last year.

1 hour ago, acef said:

On invite only I think there was a decent chance both would have ridden. I certainly think Lambert would have. But when you’re invited previously and turn it down, then eventually the invites stop, although I fully support both of them for stepping away from the British Final.

A decent meeting overall. Surprised by Ellis, but well deserved. Bewley had forgotten how to gate, which is odd given he’s been a lot sharper lately from the tapes. Wright was miles quicker, and clearly had less pressure without an ace on his chest.

Dissapointed in Cook, King and Lawson who were all well off it.

Craig Cook chose the wrong bike for his first two rides - it happens. He changed bikes and scored 8 out of 9 in his last 3 rides. So he didn't do as well as some people hoped, but he certainly wasn't 'well off it'. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Actually it is. Those likely to win the PRC are Prem rider's being allowed to double down. 

There's not 1 rider of Champ standard going to win the PRC

But a number of the riders are Champ riders doubling up, e.g. Cook. 

And of course Edinburgh's Sam Masters is 2nd in the Prem averages (to Jack Holder) and he doubles up (though not eligible for the British Final). 

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

good to see Ellis get a Polish top league position next year already at world l

Given loads of chances by Gorzow early 2019, never looked like scoring a point.

15 hours ago, Grachan said:

I wonder what the reaction would be if we went with Ellis and Bewley in the SON. They might not win it, but they'd have a damn good go.

Kemp & Rowe would give their all, they'd get as close to winning it as Woffinden & Lambert. It's going to Russia or Poland. Light years ahead.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

But a number of the riders are Champ riders doubling up, e.g. Cook. 

And of course Edinburgh's Sam Masters is 2nd in the Prem averages (to Jack Holder) and he doubles up (though not eligible for the British Final). 

Absolute nonsense. Cook has been a regular top league heat leader since 2011.

Sam Masters same since 2016.

This issue has been that they've been allowed to continue in the 2nd tier, they've not push themselves fully abroad. 

Some of the below are on the Helter-Skelter I accept that but they're still better than the standards that should be allowed in the Champs

All the below are 'Doubling Down', not 'Doubling Up' 

Hans Andersen

Troy Batchelor

Craig Cook

Jason Crump

Adam Ellis

Chris Harris

Sam Masters

Scott Nicholls

Bjarne Pedersen

Rory Schlein

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Given loads of chances by Gorzow early 2019, never looked like scoring a point.

Kemp & Rowe would give their all, they'd get as close to winning it as Woffinden & Lambert. It's going to Russia or Poland. Light years ahead.

Are you being serious? If so, you are deluded.

7 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Loads of chances …. Rode in two meetings 

sorry that was a reply to an earlier post 

Edited by Jonny the spud

7 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

I was making the point that it doesn't matter who GB select, they're not going to beat Poland & Russia.  If Woffinden was riding somewhere near his best we'd have a chance but he isn't.

22 minutes ago, Col said:

I was making the point that it doesn't matter who GB select, they're not going to beat Poland & Russia.  If Woffinden was riding somewhere near his best we'd have a chance but he isn't.

Tai and Lambo would be in the mix.  A lot can happen on race day.

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Have been thinking about this and apart from last year when several riders opted out and of course the British season didn't happen I don't think Robert has turned it down before, he was injured in 2019 and missed a final a few years prior to that due to breaking down on the way to his semi. So perhaps he should have been asked as he was far from alone in turning it down last year.

There were very different circumstances last year, so it's understandable that riders that had based themselves in a different country could be "excused", but travel is a lot easier this year as many riders have shown so to not invite Roofless Robert Lambert based on the fact he couldn't do it last year is a bit harsh. Having said that do any other riders miss their national championship pre or post covid? I know there were issues with the Aussies riding in their championship a few years back.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

There were very different circumstances last year, so it's understandable that riders that had based themselves in a different country could be "excused", but travel is a lot easier this year as many riders have shown so to not invite Roofless Robert Lambert based on the fact he couldn't do it last year is a bit harsh. Having said that do any other riders miss their national championship pre or post covid? I know there were issues with the Aussies riding in their championship a few years back.

Didn't Charles Wright opt out last year? Yet he was still invited this year.

7 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Yes... was replaced with an Australian wasn't he? 

Doubling up countries :lol:

Edited by iainb

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Absolute nonsense. Cook has been a regular top league heat leader since 2011.

Sam Masters same since 2016.

This issue has been that they've been allowed to continue in the 2nd tier, they've not push themselves fully abroad. 

Some of the below are on the Helter-Skelter I accept that but they're still better than the standards that should be allowed in the Champs

All the below are 'Doubling Down', not 'Doubling Up' 

Hans Andersen

Troy Batchelor

Craig Cook

Jason Crump

Adam Ellis

Chris Harris

Sam Masters

Scott Nicholls

Bjarne Pedersen

Rory Schlein

I think you'll find Sam Masters' (and maybe Craig Cook's - I can't remember)  contracts are owned by Edinburgh and therefore they are only doubling up in the Prem.

Loan fees are paid accordingly.

• Like 1

Going back to the actual meeting , thoroughly enjoyed myself . Even the rain couldn't spoil the racing , which was top drawer . Roll on the Speedway of Nations . 

Pity Belle Vue aren't a weekend track , would make the effort more often. Enjoyable wee bevvy in the Diamond Lodge after the meeting too 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

And Craig Cook IIRC? Might have been one or two others as well.