British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

9 hours ago, norbold said:

Norwich, Crystal Palace, Walthamstow, Greenford and Clapton (Lea Bridge).

A story about my never going to Norwich. I left school in 1965 and went to Teacher Training College in Norwich. Although I left school in 1965, I'd had to apply for college in 1964, so I applied for Norwich specially so i would be able to go to speedway there. Sadly as we know, Norwich closed at the end of 1964, so I was to remain speedwayless - though I did get along to King's Lynn once!

Sounds similar to my decision making process when it came to Uni. The 5 choices owed more to their proximity to Speedway tracks than the quality of the education they would provide. Was close to going to Leicester or Queen Mary's (for Hackney) but ended up plumping for Kingston and weekly visits to Plough Lane.

As for the tracks I wish I'd been to.....West Ham, Trelawny, Glasgow White City, New Cross, Norwich.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, salty said:

Sounds similar to my decision making process when it came to Uni. The 5 choices owed more to their proximity to Speedway tracks than the quality of the education they would provide. Was close to going to Leicester or Queen Mary's (for Hackney) but ended up plumping for Kingston and weekly visits to Plough Lane.

As for the tracks I wish I'd been to.....West Ham, Trelawny, Glasgow White City, New Cross, Norwich.

Same here I had Oxford, Bristol (running when I applied), Poole (Southampton uni), Coventry (Warwick uni) and Exeter on my UCCA form.

• Like 1

tracks i never rode at but wish i had .. Bradford, Bydgoszcz (Exeter went not long after i packed in), Coventry, Swindon, Cradley

Unlike a few others, I had lost interest in speedway by the time I had to choose where to take my degree. It was between High Wycombe and Kingston. I plumped for Kingston

As for tracks I wish I had visited

Crystal Palace, New Cross, Stamford Bridge (even though there was a track there back in the 70s when I watched footie), Harringay and West Ham

BV Hyde Road

West Ham

Norwich

Cradley

Trelawny

I can tell I am getting old because a number of the tracks mentioned I have been to.:(:D

5 for me : Nelson, Trelawny, Romford, Crewe, New Cross.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, arnieg said:

In the UK: California, Norwich, Southampton, Ellesmere Port and Castleford

Abroad: San Bernadino (original track), Vladivostock, Sydney Showground, Vastervik, Torun

Did Ellesmere Port back in 85 with Wimbledon. To my knowledge, it stayed in existence for many. many years afterwards and was only demolished reasonably recently.

The thing I remember most was the Gunners pub opposite the stadium with its speedway memorabilia. 

12 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I can tell I am getting old because a number of the tracks mentioned I have been to.:(:D

5 for me : Nelson, Trelawny, Romford, Crewe, New Cross.

I did Trelawny twice mate, fantastic little track and venue.

Mine would be Norwich, West Ham, Wimbledon, Hyde Road and Halifax.

• Like 1

During the time I've been watching speedway, 1976+:

Boston, Canterbury, Ellesmere Port, Leicester (Blackbird Road), Newport (Somerton Park).

Pre-1976:

Glasgow (Hampden Park), Nelson, Norwich, Sunderland, West Ham.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Trelawny, Buxton, Bradfors (Odsal), London White City, Haringay.

How did you never do White City Bob? your choices are great never did Haringay either.Only went to Buxton in 2004 loved the track  both the Wright bros rode me thinks,

West Ham, Wembley, Harringay Hyde Road and Wombwell. The last one so I could have bought a load of their programmes to sell years later for a big profit! Had a dream once that I went to a jumble sale and there was a big box of Wombwell programmes for sale for peanuts.