British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Thanks. You've made me feel really old now as I've seen speedway at all of those! ;)

Same for me......Question for you Norbold......I remember going to Kings Oak in 1960, eight years before the big celebration there and I would swear there was a grandstand still there, was I dreaming?

40 minutes ago, andout said:

Same for me......Question for you Norbold......I remember going to Kings Oak in 1960, eight years before the big celebration there and I would swear there was a grandstand still there, was I dreaming?

No, the stand was still there then.

Stamford Bridge, been there for football but the speedway shut not long before I was born!

I've always thought that High Beech would make an ideal National League track in modern times. Something basic like Buxton and small like Plymouth would do little damage to the forest I reckon?

Edited by 25yearfan

58 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

I've always thought that High Beech would make an ideal National League track in modern times. Something basic like Buxton and small like Plymouth would little damage to the forest I reckon?

Lot of work to do. The track isn't there any more, though you can still see the outline of where it was.

Norwich
Harringay
New Cross
Sydney Showground
Costa Mesa

Edited by TonyMac

2 hours ago, TonyMac said:

Norwich
Harringay
New Cross
Sydney Showground
Costa Mesa

You can still go to one those Tony.......Costa Mesa reopening again this year.......And, I highly recommend it!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 6:04 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

I can tell I am getting old because a number of the tracks mentioned I have been to.:(:D

5 for me : Nelson, Trelawny, Romford, Crewe, New Cross.

You never mentioned Sunderland HT. :o;)

7 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

You never mentioned Sunderland HT. :o;)

I had the chance to go to Sunderland in 1973 but my relations weren't speedway orientated! I have since passed the stadium on a couple of occasions when passing by.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I had the chance to go to Sunderland in 1973 but my relations weren't speedway orientated! I have since passed the stadium on a couple of occasions when passing by.

The Boldon Stadium is still there, in great condition, but only for dogs. Sad really. :sad:

A reasonable distance from housing - it could be ideal.

Closed twice, once (1964) by in order to strengthen the Wolverhampton/Newcastle Teams.

Second time by rank bad management of the early part of the 1974 Season. Towards the end of that season Mrs. Liz Taylor (Berwick Promoter) attempted to take over. By then it was too late - the crowds had dwindled and did not return in numbers. I will always be grateful to Mrs. Taylor for trying.

Always easier to lose supporters than gain them.

• Like 1

White Knight-how true-do you think anyone will take a chance on the Boldon circuit again?