British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

Nice to see so many wish they had been to West Ham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

We old'uns didn't have to wish...

14 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

And so many wish they had been to New Cross. Maybe we have a lot of members in the London area.

I'm happy to say I watched speedway at both venues.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Split said:

And so many wish they had been to New Cross. Maybe we have a lot of members in the London area.

I went looking for the site of New Cross some years ago and could vaguely make out where the track once was.

2 hours ago, Split said:

The long and the short of it as you might say…..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I went looking for the site of New Cross some years ago and could vaguely make out where the track once was.

Found on the Internet:

"The stadium was left derelict for several years until it was demolished in 1975 as part of a plan to redevelop the football ground, although those plans fell through. The site is now a public open space called Bridge House Meadows  "

• Like 1

The last time I was there you could still make out some of the terracing.I also remember in the 80s some of the entrance was still standing

Trelawny, Cradley, Wembley, White City, Long Eaton

6 minutes ago, falcace said:

Trelawny, Cradley, Wembley, White City, Long Eaton

I've been to two of those.  Cradley was the track nearest to me growing up.  Trelawny was great, like no other track, it really was like speedway on the moon but with a double decker bus.  

I too wish I'd gone to White City.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

The last time I was there you could still make out some of the terracing.I also remember in the 80s some of the entrance was still standing

There's a few places where you can still see some of the remnants of the speedway track and/or stadium - Nelson and Hastings spring to mind. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kester said:

I've been to two of those.  Cradley was the track nearest to me growing up.  Trelawny was great, like no other track, it really was like speedway on the moon but with a double decker bus.  

I too wish I'd gone to White City.

Yep. Cradley is a real gap...just never got down there. Perhaps it was to do with it being a Saturday night track like Belle Vue. Still, I got to Coventry umpteen times. More recently based in Devon, I certainly had a few chances to get to Trelawny and missed that one too. Doh! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

There's a few places where you can still see some of the remnants of the speedway track and/or stadium - Nelson and Hastings spring to mind. 

You can still see the outline of the track and the banking at the granddaddy of them all - High Beech.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, norbold said:

You can still see the outline of the track and the banking at the granddaddy of them all - High Beech.

Was there actually a stadium as such at High Beech. Not something I ever looked into, but just imagined it was just a track in the middle of a field. At those early meetings did they actually charge admission ? 

56 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Was there actually a stadium as such at High Beech. Not something I ever looked into, but just imagined it was just a track in the middle of a field. At those early meetings did they actually charge admission ? 

Yes, there was stadium of sorts there and they certainly charged admission - 6d.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Raced there myself...in a cross country run...not in a 1928 motorcycle racing meeting! Utterly oblivious it was the same hallowed turf at the time though ;)