British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Brummies v Bandits 18/08

With West Bromwich Albion & Birmingham City both having home fixtures on this the same night will the crowd be depleted? 

Brummies won when visiting Shielfield Park in the season opener for both teams but Berwick were missing a rider or two that night.

Any predictions?  Other than Bickley, who did nothing special for Glasgow in 2019 I don't think seen any of this Bandits septet at Perry Barr, except perhaps Summers but it would have been a long time ago.

Edited by Col

17 minutes ago, Col said:

With West Bromwich Albion & Birmingham City both having home fixtures on this the same night will the crowd be depleted? 

Brummies won when visiting Shielfield Park in the season opener for both teams but Berwick were missing a rider or two that night.

Any predictions?  Other than Bickley, who did nothing special for Glasgow in 2019 I don't think seen any of this Bandits septet at Perry Barr, except perhaps Summers but it would have been a long time ago.

I can't see Berwick taking many away fans. It could be another difficult night for the Brummies promoters.

I hope the M6 isn't shut at junction 10 again this week, 15 minute journey took 90 minutes last week.  With the Albion being at home I don't fancy M5 / Black Country Route but it is preferable to going 7-8 miles an hour for 10 miles behind some artic lorry.  Mercifully Albion don't kick off 'til 20:00.

35 minutes ago, Col said:

Gappmier,Flint and Etheridge all rode at Birmingham in 2019

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Gappmier,Flint and Etheridge all rode at Birmingham in 2019

Didn't attend that fixture, only went to Perry Barr a few times in 2019 after a near 10 year absence.  The season ruined by injuries to Legault & Roynon (amongst others) put me off watching a team full of guests & R/R, had enough of that in 1989/90 with Cradley.  Brummies stint in top flight was no good as couldn't do Monday nights, then they dropped to third tier.

11 hours ago, Col said:

Leon Flint was Birmingham’s number 1 in 2018? in NL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I can't see Berwick taking many away fans. It could be another difficult night for the Brummies promoters.

Which begs the question as to why the social media accounts are so quiet with just over 48 hours to go to the meeting? It was brilliant for the Kent match and it needs to be for every meeting so we can try and get as many fans in as possible.

7 minutes ago, Brummie Kev said:

Which begs the question as to why the social media accounts are so quiet with just over 48 hours to go to the meeting? It was brilliant for the Kent match and it needs to be for every meeting so we can try and get as many fans in as possible.

Seems like resting on there laurels so to speak, no speedway team in the current climate can afford to do that least of all the Brummies.

Can I say, I'm a neutral when it comes to this fixture. I am, however fairly local, living in Rugby and temporarily supporting Leicester until the Bees return.

I would hate to see another speedway go to the wall (it is a subject on which I am familiar) and would consider attending this fixture simply to show my support. Not to mention watching a bit more speedway.
But, and it's a big but, I was at Perry Barr last Wednesday. The track was poor to say the least and the dust from heat 1 was a disgrace. Such things can happen as a one off I know but there is evidence that the track was not much different the week before. Sorry, but if there is a real risk that the track is going to be the same this Wednesday I'll stay home. I've got 3 meetings planned for the weekend anyway.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 1

Berwick are more than capable of getting something out of this meeting. Apart from Poole, every away meeting after Heat 13 we have been 2/4 pts down just that it goes a bit pear-shaped in 14 & 15 lol. Safe meeting to both sets of riders.

I've got a sneaky feeling that the track will be different this week , with less of a dust cloud .

Hoping tracks good as there is a junior challenge with Berwick academy afterwards 9 heats of 125 250 and 500 cc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Normski said:

Berwick are more than capable of getting something out of this meeting. Apart from Poole, every away meeting after Heat 13 we have been 2/4 pts down just that it goes a bit pear-shaped in 14 & 15 lol. Safe meeting to both sets of riders.

At least you don’t have to rephrase things for the away meetings ,though I had read this post before.:D;)

Edited by Fromafar
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Hoping tracks good as there is a junior challenge with Berwick academy afterwards 9 heats of 125 250 and 500 cc

9 heats for a Birmingham 2nd half is pushing their luck just a tad when the curfew is 10pm

14 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

9 heats for a Birmingham 2nd half is pushing their luck just a tad when the curfew is 10pm

Berwick did it on Saturday with a 9.30 curfew and a delay at heat 2 were there's a will there's a way. Berwick are very good at giving the younger riders track time . If Birmingham have agreed the fixture they have to push the main meeting on no letting the meeting drag on they have to remember the juniors are traveling a long way for no reimbursement.

• Like 8