British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn Stars v Sheffield Tigers 19/08/21

7 hours ago, tyke said:

and if you read my post, which was a reply to Bald Bloke.

He alludes to previously , the match being called off because 6/7 Tigers riders refused to ride.

Which as you quiet clearly clarify wasn't the case, as the referee called the match off prior to Buster finishing the track work.

The SCB appointed referee thought in his opinion it wasn't fit.

The rights & wrongs of that single person's opinion can be debated thereafter .

Yes the ref called it before any work was done quite possibly because several riders wasn't going to ride whatever.

Lynn rode on a much worse track at Wolves recently so I would have expected most of them to give at go had they have been allowed.

Ref should have sent out Hume and Barker,they would have covered all of the track with their riding styles.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MParkins52 said:

I watched with my own eyes Kerr arguing and refusing to ride to buster. When The captain is reluctant to ride and 6 of the opposing team were not prepared to ride then poor buster is pissing in the wind. I don’t see why we had to wait an 1 hour just for the teams to say no, they could see the track when buster was preparing! It would’ve been spot on after a few heats 

We had a similar situation at Ipswich when all the riders apart from the two captains wanted to give it a go.  
It will come as no surprise those two riders were schlien and cook. Usual suspects. While I accept rider safety is paramount and quite rightly, I get very annoyed when the riders don’t at least try the surface before condemning it. 
there is no consideration at all for the paying customer on the riders part

and if anyone can sort a wet track out it’s Buster as I’ve witnessed many times before. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

We had a similar situation at Ipswich when all the riders apart from the two captains wanted to give it a go.  
It will come as no surprise those two riders were schlien and cook. Usual suspects. While I accept rider safety is paramount and quite rightly, I get very annoyed when the riders don’t at least try the surface before condemning it. 
there is no consideration at all for the paying customer on the riders part

and if anyone can sort a wet track out it’s Buster as I’ve witnessed many times before. 

Without going all days of yore...

In the past, riders have taken to a track and "turned it over" with the result that the inside became slicker and the "heavy slop", that had been sent out wide by their back wheels, then got removed...

We see even in the GP's how a wet track will settle down after five or six races so have as many riders as needed doing 20 to 25 laps on it...

One at a time if needs be to ensure health and safety..

(And no one complain that this is an advantage to those doing it)..:rolleyes:

I remember seeing BV v Berwick in the days of Tatum, Nilsson and Knight on a saturated track and after an hour or so of track work it produced some of the greatest racing I watched around there. With Neil Collins flying past riders due to the racing being down to more about natural ability and not just horsepower. 

(And it must have been great racing for me to remember it as such amongst the hundreds of other meetings attended)..

At this rate, and very soon, there wont be enough tracks left for the riders to decide not to race on..

How ironic would that be? 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Buster won’t sell Kings Lynn least  of all the stadium he makes far to much money from the stock cars he could though sell the speedway promotion rights but as others have said who’d take it on and what Buster would get from such sale as things stand at this time would be peanuts I’d say it’s more or less a worthless asset. Time will tell I guess but heat of the moment reaction my bet Buster will still be running KL come 2022 . 

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Haza said:

Don’t think even at that price you’ll find many takers sadly . 

I think your missing the point he doesn't mean someone to buy & run speedway no one is that stupid, it will be developed.

10 minutes ago, Haza said:

Buster won’t sell Kings Lynn least  of all the stadium he makes far to much money from the stock cars he could though sell the speedway promotion rights but as others have said who’d take it on and what Buster would get from such sale as things stand at this time would be peanuts I’d say it’s more or less a worthless asset. Time will tell I guess but heat of the moment reaction my bet Buster will still be running KL come 2022 . 

I have serious doubts that Buster will be running the speedway next year. After last nights debacle who can blame him for getting out? I have seen meetings go ahead on much worse tracks. Last night was another big nail in British Speedways coffin.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Haza said:

Hope so.

9 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, but I would have thought as a ref you would be more persuaded by the home team as they ride there every week. However the ref might already have an idea in their mind when the track is not fit to ride. Do you know who the ref was? 

Nope. Refs these days are easily railroaded by riders, backed up by their team manager. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Nope. Refs these days are easily railroaded by riders, backed up by their team manager. 

You are though also in a world of litigation that didnt exist many moons ago..

If I was a ref and there was a slightest doubt then it wouldn't start, just to protect my own backside..

Again though..

Track covers would help..

There are serious challenges to overcome without doubt to get racing on, however, the priorities of those who run the racing needs to change..

eg Find a way to make something like track covers work (as is proven already by various tracks globally and also in the UK)..

They pay out hundreds and hundreds of thousands, to 90 or so riders, who can prevent a meeting taking place..

Yet dont spend one single penny on something that would actually help racing take place..

As with much of the operating model.. 

Fudged thinking...

• Like 1

Maybe it’s time Buster walked away.   This sort of thing can’t be good his health.  Let’s not forget the Heart scare he had at Edinburgh where he was rushed to hospital.

Anyway I thought Buster had handed over the reins to the likes of Allitt to run the shows at P’Boro and Saddlebow? 
So much for him taking a backseat.  As if.

The last time Buster handed over the promoting rights at Lynn it didn’t end very well, with Waggy  having to walk away.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikebv said:

You are though also in a world of litigation that didnt exist many moons ago..

If I was a ref and there was a slightest doubt then it wouldn't start, just to protect my own backside..

Again though..

Track covers would help..

There are serious challenges to overcome without doubt to get racing on, however, the priorities of those who run the racing needs to change..

eg Find a way to make something like track covers work (as is proven already by various tracks globally and also in the UK)..

They pay out hundreds and hundreds of thousands, to 90 or so riders, who can prevent a meeting taking place..

Yet dont spend one single penny on something that would actually help racing take place..

As with much of the operating model.. 

Fudged thinking...

That may be but if you never ride on a wet track, you'll never ride on a wet track, kind of self fulfilling. We know the aussies hate it wet. 

I'd much prefer wet to bumpy. Lynn is so smooth. I remember Andy Smith bombing it around there years ago in either a commonwealth final or something which was very wet. "Oh no, I may have to wash my bike and race suit, best come back another day when it's dry, no skin off my nose." 

Maybe halve their money for rain offs when they want it off? Tail wagging dog. 

9 hours ago, Leicester Hunter said:

Even before the demise of Coventry, KL was on the rota to stage the BriSCa Formula 1 World Final. That's their flagship meeting of the year, attracting loads of competitors and a huge crowd. He can't fail to make money on that one. Possibly as much as a whole season of speedway when it gets allocated.

Eastbourne had 3k for stock cars last weekend. It would take at least 4 speedway meetings to match that attendance. It's easy money compared to running the bikes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne and Kent are about 45 miles each way for me. Living close to the M25 helps.

100 mile round trip for me on the wonderful A47.

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne had 3k for stock cars last weekend. It would take at least 4 speedway meetings to match that attendance. It's easy money compared to running the bikes.

As I’ve said before - speedway maximum hassle and aggravation for low income - stock cars minimal aggravation and hassle maximum income . It’s really a no brainier for Buster or any stadium owner . 
The leading question is why 3 thousand will turn up at Eastbourne for Stock cars but won’t for speedway ? 

8 hours ago, MParkins52 said:

I watched with my own eyes Kerr arguing and refusing to ride to buster. When The captain is reluctant to ride and 6 of the opposing team were not prepared to ride then poor buster is pissing in the wind. I don’t see why we had to wait an 1 hour just for the teams to say no, they could see the track when buster was preparing! It would’ve been spot on after a few heats 

Kerr and Bomber had a mini Twitter spat, 

Bomber: Disappointed the meeting was called off, I was ready to race, unfortunately not my decision. Buster done a lot of work on track after the rain, but sadly wasn’t meant to be

Kerr: Have a day off bomber. The track was saturated

Bomber: Rock hard underneath mate, we could of all done some practice laps to try track as the fans waited so long in rain

Kerr: Classic

Bomber: See you later at scunthorpe mate

You'd think Kerr would be grateful of an opportunity to ride with the state in which his "other" club is in.

• Like 4