British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn Stars v Sheffield Tigers 19/08/21

31 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Eastbourne had 3k for stock cars last weekend. It would take at least 4 speedway meetings to match that attendance. It's easy money compared to running the bikes.

and considerable less hassle I would suggest

So ….. Experienced, class rider who can ride his motorcycle in all conditions vs inexperienced Johnny come lately “made up to captain” who can get round on a perfect track. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

Kerr and Bomber had a mini Twitter spat, 

Bomber: Disappointed the meeting was called off, I was ready to race, unfortunately not my decision. Buster done a lot of work on track after the rain, but sadly wasn’t meant to be

Kerr: Have a day off bomber. The track was saturated

Bomber: Rock hard underneath mate, we could of all done some practice laps to try track as the fans waited so long in rain

Kerr: Classic

Bomber: See you later at scunthorpe mate

You'd think Kerr would be grateful of an opportunity to ride with the state in which his "other" club is in.

On the other hand Kerr almost lost his life at Pboro a few years ago - it might just make him think about riding on a wet track and taking  risks . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haza said:

On the other hand Kerr almost lost his life at Pboro a few years ago - it might just make him think about riding on a wet track and taking  risks . 

wasnt the track perfectly dry at peterborough that day?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

Perhaps he's in the wrong game?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, therefused said:

wasnt the track perfectly dry at peterborough that day?

Certainly was - all I’m saying if I’d almost died at work in an accident I’d want all precautions taken so it didn’t happen again and riding when conditions isn’t good probably wasn’t a risk work taking for Kerr - we should remember riders are human as well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MParkins52 said:

I watched with my own eyes Kerr arguing and refusing to ride to buster. When The captain is reluctant to ride and 6 of the opposing team were not prepared to ride then poor buster is pissing in the wind. I don’t see why we had to wait an 1 hour just for the teams to say no, they could see the track when buster was preparing! It would’ve been spot on after a few heats 

Indeed, the problem I have with this whole debacle is how long people were standing around for, usual speedway cock up and failure to consider its customers. If nobody fancied it they should have knocked it on the head straight away.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

So ….. Experienced, class rider who can ride his motorcycle in all conditions vs inexperienced Johnny come lately “made up to captain” who can get round on a perfect track. 

Inexperienced :D

Different riders will have different opinions, that's life. The best idea I've read on this thread is for Bomber and a willing Lynn rider to do some laps to try it out, seems a no brainer. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Kerr and Bomber had a mini Twitter spat, 

Bomber: Disappointed the meeting was called off, I was ready to race, unfortunately not my decision. Buster done a lot of work on track after the rain, but sadly wasn’t meant to be

Kerr: Have a day off bomber. The track was saturated

Bomber: Rock hard underneath mate, we could of all done some practice laps to try track as the fans waited so long in rain

Kerr: Classic

Bomber: See you later at scunthorpe mate

You'd think Kerr would be grateful of an opportunity to ride with the state in which his "other" club is in.

Good to see a rider actually considering the fans, Kerr didn't need to reply to Harris but clearly a bit touchy and no need to be so p***y towards him...'have a day off'? 'classic'? Obnoxious.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Haza said:

If he thinks too much about the risks he is taking,it's time he got out of speedway.

Nice to hear Bomber thinking about the fans,wish some others would follow his lead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tellboy said:

I know it looked good,i have seen many tracks worse than that and that is standard.It's down to attitudes of riders now unfortunately.As i was speaking to someone coming out.A couple of years ago when the Young England took on a young Danish side it was one of the best matches that season,if not the best,and guess what the track had to be bladed.Difference in attitude of riders.

Good job the riders weren't in Sweden or Denmark this week. Swedens two televised matches were delayed because of track work after lots of rain and Denmark was wet and patchy.

Oh sorry, they would have ridden then. Money and team places for next year carry a lot of weight.

40 minutes ago, Haza said:

As I’ve said before - speedway maximum hassle and aggravation for low income - stock cars minimal aggravation and hassle maximum income . It’s really a no brainier for Buster or any stadium owner . 
The leading question is why 3 thousand will turn up at Eastbourne for Stock cars but won’t for speedway ? 

The amount of times Stox run v the amount of Speedway meetings..

The old track at Kirky Lane used to get around 4k ten times or so a year for the Stox.. 

If stox ran 20+ times a year, I would suggest many less per meeting.. 

And vice versa..

If Speedway tracks only ran 10 meetings, properly like Stox does, then I would suggest a fair few bigger crowds per meeting than they currently get..

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

That may be but if you never ride on a wet track, you'll never ride on a wet track, kind of self fulfilling. We know the aussies hate it wet. 

I'd much prefer wet to bumpy. Lynn is so smooth. I remember Andy Smith bombing it around there years ago in either a commonwealth final or something which was very wet. "Oh no, I may have to wash my bike and race suit, best come back another day when it's dry, no skin off my nose." 

Maybe halve their money for rain offs when they want it off? Tail wagging dog. 

Maybe just not rearrange and they lose everything but their petrol money.?

Especially if some tracks lose money by opening..

It would actually be less of a loss to them....

You will soon see much more of the current "call it off 48 hours in advance" by promoters given they can even save on the travel money by doing so..

Not a great situation to be in is it?

• Like 1

Possibly...  Call the meeting a Grand Prix and it would have been ridden with just an hours delay!!!!

• Like 1