British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn Stars v Sheffield Tigers 19/08/21

Had a little think about the situation & actually can't blame Sheffield for their tactics. 

They do have 4 matches in hand on Ipswich & every remaining fixture is a possible lose. They want to give themselves every possible chance of securing that final top 4 spot. King's Lynn wins home & away will give them that nailed on. 

If any finger pointing should be done, it's at the match referee for not being stronger willed to get the meeting on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I know of at least one promoter that put forward the "one league with teams of 5 riders (as Denmark)" proposal for this current season, although voted down at the time, I won't be surprised if it surfaces again at the November AGM?!

The majority would say no tho I’d imagine. 

"Tough night for everyone. Feel for the travelling  @TigersSpeedway fans and everyone involved with K/L Speedway. We are united as a team in our belief the right decision was made. We look forward to returning when a restaging date is confirmed and the track is safe for racing."

Simon Stead twitter

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

That has to be better than what we currently have but how many riders who are used to doubling up would pack it in without the extra income?

My heart bleeds for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

"Tough night for everyone. Feel for the travelling  @TigersSpeedway fans and everyone involved with K/L Speedway. We are united as a team in our belief the right decision was made. We look forward to returning when a restaging date is confirmed and the track is safe for racing."

Simon Stead twitter

No problem for the British youngsters to ride on a saturated track in Germany a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mrss said:

I have serious doubts that Buster will be running the speedway next year. After last nights debacle who can blame him for getting out? I have seen meetings go ahead on much worse tracks. Last night was another big nail in British Speedways coffin.

Lynn’s. recent visit to Wolves was a wet one, and I believe it rained for some of the meeting as well. Anyone who has seen the pics from that meeting will know how wet it was. Buster will keep the AFA, it’s a good earner. I think if Buster pulls the plug on the speedway, then Lynn will be no more, as any new promotor would have to pay rent.

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

No problem for the British youngsters to ride on a saturated track in Germany a couple of weeks ago.

My friend at Isle of Wight told me there was light drizzle 'on and off' throughout the entire meeting on Thursday.  

Edited by Halifaxtiger

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

My heart bleeds for them.

Star Lady put it in a nutshell for me earlier. I have said before that - even in the glory days of the 1960's and 70's - only the top boys (Nielsen, Olsen, Penhall. Jessup etc) were full time speedway riders and, for most, it was little more than - as the former Reading and Coventry rider Mick Bell once put it - 'a good paying hobby'. Tom Owen, for years an NL kingpin, always worked at his plant hire business during his racing career. 

The blight on the sport that is uncontrolled doubling up is there for one reason : so that riders can be full time (in the season at least). it needs to change if the sport is to survive. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Had a little think about the situation & actually can't blame Sheffield for their tactics. 

They do have 4 matches in hand on Ipswich & every remaining fixture is a possible lose. They want to give themselves every possible chance of securing that final top 4 spot. King's Lynn wins home & away will give them that nailed on. 

If any finger pointing should be done, it's at the match referee for not being stronger willed to get the meeting on. 

Give em 1 league point each and move on, no re-staging

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not sure they'd go for that! How much would be lost through admission, programme and food/bar sales??!

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Star Lady put it in a nutshell for me earlier. I have said before that - even in the glory days of the 1960's and 70's - only the top boys (Nielsen, Olsen, Penhall. Jessup etc) were full time speedway riders and, for most, it was little more than - as the former Reading and Coventry rider Mick Bell once put it - 'a good paying hobby'. Tom Owen, for years an NL kingpin, always worked at his plant hire business during his racing career. 

The blight on the sport that is uncontrolled doubling up is there for one reason : so that riders can be full time (in the season at least). it needs to change if the sport is to survive. 

100%..

The irony is that for a great many years hours and hours have been spent moving fixtures all over the place to accommodate the riders' own individual ambitions and agendas..

As obviously they cant be in two places at once..

Therefore moving fixtures around a a bunch of semi pro riders' "other job" cant be that much more difficult or time consuming surely?

Especially as Mon and Thu are fixed for one league..

Those riders can have Mon and Thu days off in their "other job" and ride Speedway those days..

Employers are very, very flexible these days given the 24/7 demand of the world...

Edited by mikebv

5 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Not sure they'd go for that! How much would be lost through admission, programme and food/bar sales??!

If some tracks are losing money by running it would be a plus!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I thought Buster has already said he won’t be running this fixture. 

The man of his word said in his statement that “ next meeting will be my last”.

The next meeting is against Wolves then that’s it. Does it mean he’ll have a buyer in place to re run the Sheffield fixture?  If anyone knows, you guys will. 

1 minute ago, ouch said:

I thought Buster has already said he won’t be running this fixture. 

The man of his word said in his statement that “ next meeting will be my last”.

The next meeting is against Wolves then that’s it. Does it mean he’ll have a buyer in place to re run the Sheffield fixture?  If anyone knows, you guys will. 

I think in the heat of the moment Buster forgot about the re staging of the Sheffield meeting. I fully expect it to be re staged.

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I understand a lot of Swedish and Danish riders are ‘part time’.

• Like 1