British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn Stars v Sheffield Tigers 19/08/21

1 minute ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Because 6 Sheffield riders didn’t want to ride.  

Which is hearsay, yet not ONE KL proved otherwise that they did but taking to the track.

I do hope that Buster changes his mind but I fear that by making a public statement like this he will not want to back down. The risers of course can refuse to ride - I presume that they would not be paid either. However, if two clubs close down then that's more limited earning opportunities for them. I doubt if many would get a place in the Polish league next season. If the sports is to survive in this country then it needs promoters and riders to work together.

And having read some of the earlier posts can we cut out the cheap jokes. I remember a certain Poole fan making jokes about Coventry closing down. Well it and a big part of my life disappeared. I can't recall any wise cracks about Poole's problems! There's nothing laugh at in the circumstances.

Support speedway. Go to matches!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Once the ref had called it off then there is no point. How do we know they didn't offer to try out.? No point getting sheffield to try it, they'd have ridden like numptys on purpose. 

Hume wouldn't have and I don't think Harris would either. Not sure how Nielsen feels about wet conditions. I'm guessing it was one of them 3 who were happy to do it. 

2 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Once the ref had called it off then there is no point. How do we know they didn't offer to try out.? No point getting sheffield to try it, they'd have ridden like numptys on purpose. 

What's the point in offering, KL either do it or don't.

They didn't, so can't complain  it was called off. 

Prove to the ref it's rideable. It's really that easy.

Maybe the KL guys didn't fancy it either.

We'll never know, but HAD someone tried 4 laps from the home team we'll never know.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bluebee said:

I do hope that Buster changes his mind but I fear that by making a public statement like this he will not want to back down. The risers of course can refuse to ride - I presume that they would not be paid either. However, if two clubs close down then that's more limited earning opportunities for them. I doubt if many would get a place in the Polish league next season. If the sports is to survive in this country then it needs promoters and riders to work together.

And having read some of the earlier posts can we cut out the cheap jokes. I remember a certain Poole fan making jokes about Coventry closing down. Well it and a big part of my life disappeared. I can't recall any wise cracks about Poole's problems! There's nothing laugh at in the circumstances.

Support speedway. Go to matches!

This is my fear too bluebee.He may have had doubts like this in the past but has never gone public with it like he did tonight.I don't care what some people think about him,he has managed to keep a speedway club going for 30 years there is not too many people about like him.We need more of him to take on speedway clubs for 30+ years but they are on the decline sadly.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tyke said:

Which is hearsay, yet not ONE KL proved otherwise that they did but taking to the track.

What a twit comment. They can't if not allowed..Really

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

See then it's the ref not the riders? 

Of course the ref has to call it off as he is there.But they are known to be persuaded.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

What a twit comment. They can't if not allowed..Really

So do you accept the referee called the match off ?

At any point prior to the referee calling the match off, Alex could have sent any of his riders out to prove that it was rideable ?

Yet you appear to concede that the match was called of because 6/7 Sheffield riders REFUSED to race

Twit

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

Of course the ref has to call it off as he is there.But they are known to be persuaded.

Yes prior to the cancellation not post. Which is my whole point to Bald Boke

Edited by tyke

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

See then it's the ref not the riders?  

Ref or riders doesn't matter in the end. I expect that there will still be a forum open when speedway dies in this country with fans arguing about laydowns v uprights.

As an aside (but a relevant one) I wonder how far spectators on average travel to home meetings. I would reckon it's an increasing distance. Last minute rain-offs (I had one at Leicester) really do put fans off, Refs and risers need to seriously consider this.

1 minute ago, tyke said:

So do you accept the referee called the match off ?

At any point prior to the referee calling the match off, Alex could have sent any of his riders out to prove that it was rideable ?

Yet you appear to concede that the match was called of because 6/7 Sheffield riders REFUSED to race

Twit

If you read my post,the ref called it before Buster had finished the track work.So no the riders couldn't go out on the track before it was called off.

1 minute ago, tellboy said:

Hmm, but I would have thought as a ref you would be more persuaded by the home team as they ride there every week. However the ref might already have an idea in their mind when the track is not fit to ride. Do you know who the ref was? 

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Hmm, but I would have thought as a ref you would be more persuaded by the home team as they ride there every week. However the ref might already have an idea in their mind when the track is not fit to ride. Do you know who the ref was? 

Chris Gay