British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostwalker

SGP Vojens 2021

On 9/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, OveFundinFan said:

It must have been a better quality of a meeting from Vojens because in a weird sort of way it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. For sure there was some boring races, but first corner action was often good and those that wanted to chase and pass did, but with current points system chasing hard in heats 13-20 is not always worth it if you scored well in your first 3 rides.

Waiheke1 and  Bruiser, I in agreement with you two, not a bad meeting (but not a brilliant meeting).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

I quite agree..I’ve watched speedway for nearly 50 years and I think people must think that all matches were always filled with overtaking and breathtaking finishes..well they weren’t and often quite dull racing wise .

I've often said the same thing. I watch old YouTube videos, and the vast majority I watch have VERY little in the way of decent racing. Did we REALLY think it was that good at the time?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruiser said:

I quite agree..I’ve watched speedway for nearly 50 years and I think people must think that all matches were always filled with overtaking and breathtaking finishes..well they weren’t and often quite dull racing wise ..I was lucky to grow up watching racing every week at Hyde Road so was lucky to see Colins and Morton every week but I also saw quite a few processional meetings there as well and that track was as good as it gets….speedway can be breathtaking and can also be dull, always has been…this meeting wasn’t bad at all.

Spot on .. i think matches seem better years back  because the crowds etc were bigger giving a better atmosphere

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orion said:

Spot on .. i think matches seem better years back  because the crowds etc were bigger giving a better atmosphere

And because you (mostly) couldn't rewatch meetings later, likely we tended to remember the good races and forget the dull ones.

I think also our expectations on entertainment have risen overtime. 

• Like 3

I think the biggest change is the internet & social media.

back to the 20th century & the only people we talked to was our own group of friends about meetings that we had seen. Now people from all over the world can share their opinions & have no idea who they are talking to. So what me & my group feel is good close racing at our local well prepared track is deemed to be dull & boring on a bumpy slick track from one person in Jobrovia while another in Northen Ostland states it was one sided & strung out.

Different people have varied opinions but now it is much easier to have a worldwide voice.

I believe the racing has always been good it's the world outside speedway that has changed

9 hours ago, orion said:

Nail hit on the head here I think... Also there was a lot less to do, in terms of leisure activities, back in the day, so you were having your parsnips buttered a lot less often. These days we live in a world of sensory overload and Speedway just can't quite cut it in its current guise

• Like 1

I think people are right when it comes down to crowds and atmosphere... Racing wise matches up well in a lot of meetings but it was the atmosphere back in the day that really helped.. Turned a dull meeting into a pretty exciting one..... My favourite race was Rob Maxfield being team rode to a 5-1 by Peter Collins over Ole Olsen who was by far the best visitor around Belle Vue at the time.. there was no passing and probably if you saw it on tape it would look ordinary but at the time the roof nearly came off the stadium and the atmosphere was incredible. 

• Like 3

In return Ole could team ride Bill Powell for a 5-1 for Wolves in the 70''s.  A great crowd reaction was guaranteed.  Promoting was 's lot easier then!

Hearing rumours Danish GP won’t be at Vojens in 2022 will be somewhere new, anyone heard anything?

4 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Hearing rumours Danish GP won’t be at Vojens in 2022 will be somewhere new, anyone heard anything?

Wherever it is, mid June would be better than mid September weather wise.