British Speedway Forum

With the financial problems at multiple Championship clubs, No sign of any work being done at Swindon as well as the news coming out tonight that Buster is putting both KL and Peterborough up for sale that puts an end to British Speedway imo because nobody is going to buy the clubs.

Hopefully we can all make the most of what is left this season because it's unlikely we will see British Speedway from next season onwards.

What do you think?

22 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

With the financial problems at multiple Championship clubs, No sign of any work being done at Swindon as well as the news coming out tonight that Buster is putting both KL and Peterborough up for sale that puts an end to British Speedway imo because nobody is going to buy the clubs.

Hopefully we can all make the most of what is left this season because it's unlikely we will see British Speedway from next season onwards.

What do you think?

Bit pessimistic in my opinion. I agree British speedway isn’t in a great place but not as bad as no British speedway from next season 

• Like 1

British Speedway in its current format and leadership from the BSPL is in a race to the bottom, fans are getting older every season there are fewer and fewer and barely any youngsters getting to watch nowadays, but each close season the BSPL say everything is hunky dory, theres none so blind as those that wont listen, can you hear BSPL ?.

• Like 5

More roosting chickens coming home...

Perhaps riders at KL should have a spare bike set up as a ice speedway machine. Bruce Cribb manage several laps round IOW so why not use the set up on wet tracks? I then remembered that the riders don’t like getting their kevlars dirty. Oh well add riders to those who really are hell bent on bringing the sport to it knees. Don’t spout about rider safety, anyone with the skills as was the case in the 60’s70’s and 80’s could ride wet tracks and those tracks covered in sawdust. Tracks became more rideable with use but today’s wimps are on over powered machines with no real track craft and most would have failed as competitive riders had they had to compete in years gone by. No wonder the sport is in the state it is in.

32 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Slightly ironic that Buster is now fed up & wants to sell up, when much that is wrong was implemented during his time as chairman.

No it wasn't 

29 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

No one with half a brain would invest in a speedway track run under the current structure.

Sadly a few owners have dragged the sport down to a point where the only survival route is probably amateur riders racing on open licensed tracks and a maybe a mini league.

The BSPL had the opportunity to do something different this year but decided  on a tried and failed product formula.

If the stories are true and you have the futures of Swindon, Birmingham, Newcastle, Eastbourne, Peterborough, Kings Lynn, Poole (track ownership) and possibly one or two more in doubt then sadly speedway in the U.K. will be a shadow of its former self and possibly resemble France in terms of league racing and Belgium/Netherlands in terms of individual events.

The fans and supporters are not to blame, many turn out each week but are pissed on from a great height by club owners and the governing body is solely responsible for systematic failures including squandering t v revenues and pricing the sport beyond those who would have given it a go as well as looking down its own nose on those from grass track etc who may have given it a go. 

None of those in charge have the balls to come on this forum and be answerable to the supporters. Gentlemen and Ny Ladies, you are cowards and much more you have driven the sport to the point of dying out completely. Your failure to even acknowledge the punter whose hard earned cash you take each week is a disgrace and you should hang your heads in shame except that you have no morals. To the directors, board and whatever you call yourselves on the BSPL you are a disgrace to the sport.

Very, very  harsh....

I think you will find the sole reasons for the issues facing the sport are simply down a 'perfect storm of a year'...

Kicking it in the guts after years (decades), of fantastic, innovative leadership...

Nothing more and nothing less than that..

It has faced Covid, and The Euros, and The Olympics...

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Oh Yes..

And The Boat Race, and The Darts, and The Grand National (probably) and dont forget Wimbledon, you cant forget Wimbledon...

Was the Boat Race March? I don't know, maybe it was, when did the Speedway start? 

Anyway, where was I? 

And all on the telly them don't forget, that'll keep tens of thousands of people in who would usually be at their local Speedway tracks, forming an orderly queue to watch a family sport, and bringing a friend like they advertise..

Oh. And the Test matches, I forgot about the Test Matches...

Didnt stand a chance against that lot, no matter how brilliantly the sport is currently being ran...

Normal service to be resumed next year guaranteed..

You mark my words....

Next year i believe the sport has agreed a deal with Eurosport where they will show loads of matches, beaming them live into living rooms the length and breadth of the country..

Hang on.Who just said that that was this year? 

When does it start?... 

Can't wait..

Hope they bring the green helmet colour back...

The fans loved that, loads used to go just because of it...

Their TV remote controls at home had exactly the same colours too..

Amazing..

Oh Yes. Just remembered ...

And it's all the Speedway GP's fault too..

As well as Poland's...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Panther1997 said:

I wonder if cricket rules were implemented and each club got a point each and no rescheduled match..

(So the riders would lose a meetings earnings)..

Would it have been ran?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Hope they bring the green helmet colour back...

The fans loved that, loads used to go just because of it...

Their TV remote controls at home had exactly the same colours too..

Amazing..

TV remote also has an Off button :drink:

12 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

What do you think?

Can Buster even sell KL & Peterborough? I thought they were now part of a limited company with other clubs? Are they still independent clubs/ limited companies?

38 minutes ago, iainb said:

Can Buster even sell KL & Peterborough? I thought they were now part of a limited company with other clubs? Are they still independent clubs/ limited companies?

Each speedway promotion is a separate business entity. The BSPL Ltd is merely a corporate wrapper placed around to BSPA to make if sound grander than it is (and give its members some protection in the form of limited liability should the organisation be sued).

The BSPA/BSPL has no assets to speak of *

* except perhaps some GTR's in somebody's garage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2