British Speedway Forum

17 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

8 teams only ? At best with meeting each club twice , which was voted out by the majority of clubs in 2017 AGM, add cup fixture or two and a challenge match means only 16-18 home fixtures and a four month season ? That would not be sustainable for most clubs in the championship.

Or put a twist on it

Say an 8 team championship

A League Cup 2 groups of 4 home and away once (6 meetings, 3 home) top two into semi finals

League home and away once (14 meetings, 7 home)

Top 4 enter the "Super League" the new name for the play offs, all compete against each other (6 meetings, 3 at home) overall winner is the champion

Bottom 4 clubs enter "the shield" competition 2 legged knock out so a maximum of 4 meetings (two home) if you reach the final 

Could also introduce the 4TT but do it on a league basis for more meetings against regional at best 2 groups of 4, all clubs hosting a meeting top 2 progressing to a Final 4TT league all clubs hosting a meeting 

• Like 1

Now here's radical...

Maybe bring back teams like Cov, Reading, Cradley etc etc but run them at the current tracks (however many are left)..

With the riders used all being ones riding for teams already in that league (a bit like guesting and DU'ing but all at the same time)..

And..

This is the best bit to make it credible..

We swap the first letters of the surname and christian names of the riders to make a completely different rider to represent one of the new teams, thus increasing the much needed rider numbers overnight...

For example..

You could advertise...

"The Irish No1, Mick Norris"...

Or Hollands leading rider "Edam Allis"...

Or maybe?

"China's National Speedway Champion" could be a moniker given to "Lichard Rawson"...

I agree Ben Barker and Craig Cook might be difficult to sort but as the saying goes...

"No ideas a bad idea"..... :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

Or put a twist on it

Say an 8 team championship

A League Cup 2 groups of 4 home and away once (6 meetings, 3 home) top two into semi finals

League home and away once (14 meetings, 7 home)

Top 4 enter the "Super League" the new name for the play offs, all compete against each other (6 meetings, 3 at home) overall winner is the champion

Bottom 4 clubs enter "the shield" competition 2 legged knock out so a maximum of 4 meetings (two home) if you reach the final 

Could also introduce the 4TT but do it on a league basis for more meetings against regional at best 2 groups of 4, all clubs hosting a meeting top 2 progressing to a Final 4TT league all clubs hosting a meeting 

Not going to happen.

90% of fans want regular meaningful  ‘ league ‘ matches not made up consolation  matches. Peter Craven shield being a prime example, lasted one year ! Your simply making up competitions to fill dates in and the fans won’t go for it in big enough numbers .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not going to happen.

90% of fans want regular meaningful  ‘ league ‘ matches not made up consolation  matches. Peter Craven shield being a prime example, lasted one year ! Your simply making up competitions to fill dates in and the fans won’t go for it in big enough numbers .

As long as those in charge deny that a problem exists then the sport will continue to decline. Regionalisation is now a non-starter with so few teams in the South. Those on the top table including the likes of CL etc. will have lost the respect of fans for the way that they have failed to come up with something more innovative during a crisis and unless they offer radical changes accepting that the top European  riders are not going to grace the tracks in the UK, then the sport is dead in the water. Speedway U.K. needs to re-invent itself and become an all round form of entertainment and not a niche offering supported by a few diehards with some self interested owners who are not even running the sport as franchise with a common set of interests rules and policies, but prefer to look after number one, which is fine but it is not the answer to the current predicament.

• Like 3

Someone suggested on here that we have an individual championship involving all the top men representing one of their teams (for some) from the Premiership and Championship, I like this idea if it could be sold to sponsors, it would capture the imagination of the fans I'm sure.  I don't suppose there would be enough dates to hold it at every club?

I hope GBSpeedwayTeam puts on a series of Test Matches in 2022, would 100% travel to those!

Roll on 2022 ......

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 9:59 PM, Trees said:

Someone suggested on here that we have an individual championship involving all the top men representing one of their teams (for some) from the Premiership and Championship, I like this idea if it could be sold to sponsors, it would capture the imagination of the fans I'm sure.  I don't suppose there would be enough dates to hold it at every club?

I hope GBSpeedwayTeam puts on a series of Test Matches in 2022, would 100% travel to those!

Roll on 2022 ......

Been done before….Northern Riders Championship etc, even had a sponsors…Skol ( lager ) Yorkshire Bank etc. The top riders ? Palm Toft is no. 1 for Peterborough in the Premiership yet number 4 for Redcar in the championship. Could you even get 16 riders from 16 different clubs ?

Says in the speedway star this week clubs were due to meet last Tuesday? I find that hard to believe as Poole & Glasgow would have been missing. So no idea when the AGM will take place but should be soon.

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Says in the speedway star this week clubs were due to meet last Tuesday? I find that hard to believe as Poole & Glasgow would have been missing. So no idea when the AGM will take place but should be soon.

Get with the times….it took place via ‘ Zoom Call ‘.

37 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Anyone know the collective noun for speedway promoters ?

A "shower" maybe ?

A "self-interest"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Anyone know the collective noun for speedway promoters ?

A "shower" maybe ?

Thieves