British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Young Brits are thing’s looking more hopeful for the future.?

To be honest the poles are just making the most of the fact they have a product that the general public & big business alike want to be part of & they have the TV baking to make it work.

Let's be honest British had the same opportunity in the 70s & 80s & again in the early 2000s with the sky input but did absolutely nothing with those opportunities.

Don't blame the poles hats off to them for knowing how to run speedway in a professional manner

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

This is the most significant post on the thread but seems to have passed most people by. We have our best crop of youngsters for many a year right now and it seems like they may have a choice - stay in the UK and earn lots of money doubling up or really roll the dice in Poland and if it comes off they could be on the path to the top or at least good continental careers through being the best they can be. I know which one I hope they all choose.

Agree most with ambition will roll the dice.How many make it will be interesting,it’s very cut throat  for Team places over there and you will be binned pretty quickly if you are not producing the goods.Good riders have failed in the past.

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

It just adds to the thought I've had for a while now, that Polish speedway will wipe out speedway in other countries. What is the point of having a youth policy if any decent riders coming through will be off to ride in another country and you are left with nothing to show for it?

Firstly, it won't wipe out Speedway, didn’t happen when the UK was once the dominant force. It's the promoter's here that are doing their own unreversable damage. 

Our young rider's disappearing to Poland to try & make a name for themselves is exactly the point of a youth policy. We need superstars, bringing riders through to roll around in British Speedway does absolutely nothing for them. 

Saying all that, I don't think this program is aimed at young Brits. I'd imagine they'll pick out the better chances from Sweden, Denmark & Germany imo. These kids are better race ready at 15-16 than Brit's. 

1 hour ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Don't blame the poles hats off to them for knowing how to run speedway in a professional manner

Absolutely no blame to the Poles at all, they're doing what's best for them, while we continue to do the worst.

23 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

it’s very cut throat  for Team places over there and you will be binned pretty quickly if you are not producing the goods.Good riders have failed in the past.

Not every rider is going to make the grade of course... but they do seem to persevere more with their youngsters, mainly because the rules dictate it

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Saying all that, I don't think this program is aimed at young Brits. I'd imagine they'll pick out the better chances from Sweden, Denmark & Germany imo. These kids are better race ready at 15-16 than Brit's. 

If I were a Polish promoter I would be looking at the likes of Anders Rowe, Tom Brennan, Dan Thompson, Drew Kemp, Jordan Palin, Jason Edwards etc. At their stage of their careers they are as good as anybody from Sweden, Denmark & Germany, better in most cases. Unfortunately we don't get to see them ride for their country in the UK but generally they produce the goods while riding against their peers in Europe.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Firstly, it won't wipe out Speedway, didn’t happen when the UK was once the dominant force. It's the promoter's here that are doing their own unreversable damage. 

Our young rider's disappearing to Poland to try & make a name for themselves is exactly the point of a youth policy. We need superstars, bringing riders through to roll around in British Speedway does absolutely nothing for them. 

Time will tell. It's certainly going to do a lot of damage to other leagues in my opinion.

I thought the point of a youth policy was to supply yourself with riders. Where's the benefit to teams if riders disappear. British clubs incur the costs, Polish clubs get the benefits. Seems fair.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Agree most with ambition will roll the dice.How many make it will be interesting,it’s very cut throat  for Team places over there and you will be binned pretty quickly if you are not producing the goods.Good riders have failed in the past.

Absomutemy but may not be quite the same with an U24 league, may be a bit more leeway given. I think its s must though if our lads was want to fulfill their potential.

2 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

To be honest the poles are just making the most of the fact they have a product that the general public & big business alike want to be part of & they have the TV baking to make it work.

Let's be honest British had the same opportunity in the 70s & 80s & again in the early 2000s with the sky input but did absolutely nothing with those opportunities.

Completely agree with you.But must admit I have never seen the TV Baking:D:P.Interesting what Channel is that on :D

Edited by Fromafar

44 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Time will tell. It's certainly going to do a lot of damage to other leagues in my opinion.

I thought the point of a youth policy was to supply yourself with riders. Where's the benefit to teams if riders disappear. British clubs incur the costs, Polish clubs get the benefits. Seems fair.

You need to point the finger at the BSPA. They've created the problems. It would be absolutely crazy of our youngsters not to give Poland a go. It will leave us way behind if we don't join in & push themselves against the best of their age group regularly. 

Maybe British Speedway should market itself as the Golden Oldies League. 

Over 35's only

Edited by Daniel Smith

The best of the young British talent are already tied up with Polish clubs, Kemp, Rowe and Brennan already have a team in Poland..

For me, after Bewley, Tom Brennan looks like he will break through to Poland

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Exactly this. We've had so many 'talented youngsters' over recent years but none have ever cut it. Lambert has only got to where he is because of his early start in Germany. Bewley has done well, mostly because he's beside Woffy. He'd of been binned of by Wroclaw had he not borrowed some of Woffy's equipment. 

Apart from these 2, whose done any good? The last 2 Brit's of any substance on the continent has been Nicholls & Richardson. 

I'm hoping Ellis can kick on next year but really needs to drop the Championship & push for Poland & Sweden full time being 25.

We've got to be real. Our rider's have no big future as the sport in this country is on it's backside & there's no real climb for them. Doesn't matter how hard the likes of Vatcher works, our kids need to be away from uk racing to have a real career. 

Neil Vatcher knows this and is constantly looking for opportunities for his young lads to race abroad. We should of been in Denmark today and tomorrow but was cancelled at late notice and there are chances to go to Germany Czech and Poland before season ends . All the parents of the juniors know where we need to go and if your prepared for it it's all there for you 

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Having recently witnessed the German and Swedish 250 riders personally think we're in a much better position than them . The danish and polish lads are slightly in front not necessarily on ability but definitely on setups of bikes

U21 team final (SoN/pairs) is at Bydgoszcz in september, that'll be good for them

Edited by stevehone

I've seen Rowe, Brennan and Palin at Owlerton this season and been impressed by them. Flint has done well at Berwick and has had some moments for Wolves. I've not seen Kemp ride but he seems up and down, part and parcel of being a young rider, I suppose. I'd agree that these boys need to be riding more on the continent and, I think, there have been some positive developments in that respect in recent years. Riding in Poland would be good, but you don't get many meetings there and, at their age, these lads need to be riding as much as possible, so they ought to continue riding in the UK, where we generally ride more often.

Maybe one of the things the BSPL could do is organise reciprocal test series against, say Sweden or Denmark, perhaps to be staged early in the season, with the proviso that youngsters get selected rather than old-timers like Harris or Nicholls, for example.

13 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Completely agree with you.But must admit I have never seen the TV Baking:D:P.Interesting what Channel is that on :D

Just about every channel. :D Personally I was more interested in the word "Absomutemy" by Bagpuss and when I find out what it means I am definitely going to use it.

Carl Fogarty became the several time WSB Champ and (via Sky), became a truly household name that transcended into mainstream sporting coverage..

The BSB didnt mourn the fact that Carl no longer was a frequent visitor to their races, but instead ploughed their own furrow and ensured that their version of exactly the same sport continued and even flourished.. 

And over the years, many have cut their teeth at BSB level before moving 'upwards' into the WSB domain..

With the BSB accepting this is the path so many will follow until they fall off that 'World Level' and will then possibly drop back into their competitions as they get older, thus actually adding interest to what they put out.. 

In short the BSB, "know their place" and dont pretend to be something that they are not, and build their business (very successfully) without "World Stars" but with many "Very Good" bike riders..

If some UK lads go to Poland and subsequently flourish at "World Level" then fair play, as any mainstream publicity that GB success gets in this country can only be good for the domestic sport to feed off the back of..

Just like it did in the 70's..

• Like 1