British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Young Brits are thing’s looking more hopeful for the future.?

12 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Neil Vatcher knows this and is constantly looking for opportunities for his young lads to race abroad. We should of been in Denmark today and tomorrow but was cancelled at late notice and there are chances to go to Germany Czech and Poland before season ends . All the parents of the juniors know where we need to go and if your prepared for it it's all there for you 

12 hours ago, Chadster said:

I'd agree that these boys need to be riding more on the continent and, I think, there have been some positive developments in that respect in recent years. Riding in Poland would be good, but you don't get many meetings there and, at their age, these lads need to be riding as much as possible, so they ought to continue riding in the UK, where we generally ride more often.

Maybe one of the things the BSPL could do is organise reciprocal test series against, say Sweden or Denmark, perhaps to be staged early in the season, with the proviso that youngsters get selected rather than old-timers like Harris or Nicholls, for example.

Absomutemy (for @Gemini), as good as it is that our boys are riding abroad I do think we're neglecting the home market. The GB Speedway team generally brings out the fans and attracts a crowd but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw them ride in the country outside of an FIM event. Also as good as the kids are when they're riding abroad it would be good for them to ride at home and hopefully get some wins on the board because, understandably, they rarely come first when riding abroad.

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

With the BSB accepting this is the path so many will follow until they fall off that 'World Level' and will then possibly drop back into their competitions as they get older, thus actually adding interest to what they put out.. 

Which is exactly what it used to be like in the old National League here in the UK, Dave Jessup going to Mildenhall, Gordon Kennett at Eastbourne etc. etc. It was actually a crowd puller for these clubs... it was exclusivity

Football Cricket Rugby Golf and more have academies of excellence where future stars are made. Leaving it to league experience isn’t going to work for the majority. Occasionally a gem like Bewley comes along but if we want to produce more then a set up like at Belle Vue needs to be established for riders to train and learn.

Its the nearest track to high speed Polish tracks and that’s the benchmark we need to aim for.

Sweden are in free fall and have very few young riders - similarly Denmark are not producing the top class rider any longer for some reason.

Poland want to dominate but when the U.K. had its place at the top (70’s) we tried to bring other countries along with us - Poland being an example where their standard of rider at that time was similar to where we are now.

We encouraged the USA and Danes to come to the U.K. and they profited greatly - do Poland now want to do the same?

You wonder even if they do well what the point is .. You seen what Woffy and Lambert have done ... never ride in our league again and cant even be arse to ride in there own National Final .

Bar doing well in the World cup -league of nations we get nothing back unless are league bucks up so these riders want to ride here 

• Like 1

I'm glad @phillwhitewasmad & @GWC find it funny our youngsters don't have a future at the top of the sport.

Let's just enjoy our kids rattle around UK Speedway, sod trying to be the best you can be

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm glad @phillwhitewasmad & @GWC find it funny our youngsters don't have a future at the top of the sport.

Let's just enjoy our kids rattle around UK Speedway, sod trying to be the best you can be

tenor.gif

I don’t particularly  care about international events Daniel , my take on things is that i want our leagues to survive.Meaning the likes of Brennan, Palin, Flint ( ect) are  our future number 1s for our league clubs. In years gone by if you were good anough you will get on but as an example even if you had a chance of doing well in Poland you need the overall package.( ie) good aquipment, a great team which costs money. I don’t care who becomes world class not bothered about the GPS at all , and any youngster who gets there will have to be good anough and the cream always comes through.For these young lads our leagues are a great stepping stone but only push on and commit if you have the right backing and financial clout behind you to give you every chance.How many young lads of ours know they can compete ? but in the back of there mind know they maybe have not got the full package in place yet.

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

tenor.gif

I was more laughing at the point you think anders Rowe is the only one with any hope . Even though he is a decent rider palin flint and several others will go further 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

I was more laughing at the point you think anders Rowe is the only one with any hope . Even though he is a decent rider palin flint and several others will go further 

All about opinion but he's the best of the crop right now for me. The only one to refuse a 'Rising Star' spot prefering to go into the main team. Achieving nearly a 5.50 ave in a crap Ipswich side. 

I appreciate his attitude to try a tougher route than take the easy option. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

All about opinion but he's the best of the crop right now for me. The only one to refuse a 'Rising Star' spot prefering to go into the main team. Achieving nearly a 5.50 ave in a crap Ipswich side. 

I appreciate his attitude to try a tougher route than take the easy option. 

Nothing is an easy option  Daniel, there is a bigger picture MONEY  it all about individual circumstances. Rowe i watched him do his mini track rides and  was chuffed to bits when he made his full debut for the Robins he has made real progress others  as Phillwhitewasmad said have also done well 

4 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Me too !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember the likes of Stead, Howe, Neath, Brady, Appleton, Allen to name a few being much more competitive in a stronger second tier and all having much more ability than the current crop and how many of them went on to be better than at best a good second string in the top tier? 

Thats not a dig at any of them either before anyone starts. Just what people expected of them . Then you have Kennett and Bridger too. 

I actually agree with Daniel Smith… our future on the world stage looks very bleak. 

• Like 1

Our youngsters have long way to go.Bewley and Lambert are a couple of steps above them just now and they are not exactly finding it easy to go further at this stage.Best of Luck to all the Brits though.Finding the Sponsorship and money is not easy these days.If you can establish yourself Poland you have chance,but that’s cutthroat stuff if you don’t Already have the cash.

17 hours ago, Pinny said:

I remember the likes of Stead, Howe, Neath, Brady, Appleton, Allen to name a few being much more competitive in a stronger second tier and all having much more ability than the current crop and how many of them went on to be better than at best a good second string in the top tier? 

Thats not a dig at any of them either before anyone starts. Just what people expected of them . Then you have Kennett and Bridger too. 

I actually agree with Daniel Smith… our future on the world stage looks very bleak. 

Totally right Pinny  we didn’t expect that much then, the riders you named yes were all talented .Do we expect much of our youngsters now probably not just hope one or two of them can push on.

Edited by Sidney the robin

8 hours ago, Pinny said:

I think the "Rising Star" moniker does them few favours.. 

It gives the impression that they will become top level riders.. 

When the actuality, based on history, is that most will never reach tier one HL status (unless of course it continues to be diluted and they may then get a chance)....

At their age the truly World Class GB riders of the past 20 years or so, were beating the best in the world who were all riding in the UK at the time... Eg Screen, Loram, Louis, and Havelock, all of whom were well ahead of these lads at a similar age.. 

Bomber and Nicholls can be added to that list too a little more recent.. 

With Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley the three most recent examples of riders at a very young age beating some of the best in the world in their formative Speedway years..

These lads within the RS schemes are more likely to be 'solid' riders who take places in teams that previously would be taken by foreign journeymen I would suggest looking at their current level of performance.. 

And that's not a bad thing for the future of the sport at UK domestic level I would say..

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, GWC said:

Poland want to dominate but when the U.K. had its place at the top (70’s) we tried to bring other countries along with us - Poland being an example where their standard of rider at that time was similar to where we are now.

We encouraged the USA and Danes to come to the U.K. and they profited greatly - do Poland now want to do the same?

Aren't they already doing it? And have been doing it for years.

A good example is the young Russians that they have taken in and helped develop...Sayfutdinov, Laguta, Kulakov, Tarasenko, amongst others.

The young Danes and Swedes go to Poland as soon as they are a good enough standard for the lower leagues. You'll have seen far more young Danes starting in Polish leagues than British leagues in recent years.

Luke Becker got his European start in Poland because he was refused a work permit for the UK.

Similar for Lidsey, Gilmore, McGuiness, Rew, Bowes, etc from Australia.

Edited by HenryW

22 hours ago, Pinny said:

Thing is though how good could all of those been had they been able to get regular experience abroad from a young age, and a foot in the Polish door in their teens? This Polish U24 league could absolutely be what the current crop need to fulfill their potential, the U21 years are absolutely vital in a riders development and just riding in the UK and becoming an expert on our tight tricky tracks is no good if you want to be competitive internationally. 

• Like 3