British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Young Brits are thing’s looking more hopeful for the future.?

7 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

Both Germany and Latvia have a team in the Polish League, why not a British one?

This would help develop our young riders along with their foreign young rivals of similar talent.

Wait a minute who is going to take such a risk financially, well with everyone always slating greedy promoters for taking all and giving nothing back.

An interesting point. I’d imagine it would have to be a squad based on a BSPA backed franchise  . Based at the national stadium. I can’t imagine a single promoter having the cash to support a polish wage structure.

• Like 1

I said a few years ago that British clubs should be working in conjunction with Polish clubs to be their feeders with rider exchange... got laughed off the forum.

Now Ekstaliga clubs are setting up their own feeder clubs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Will they though? I've only read a google translated press release which was a bit garbled, but, If Ekstaliga clubs are to run U24 teams of 7 riders will they still need their protected reserve positions in the A Team, a lot of whom this season have been massively out of their depth? Or will they be filling those 16 places with more experienced non-poles from around the world.

In the top two leagues I would imagine they will want to protect their own assets..

However they may do it by having stronger riders at six and seven in the top league and keeping their juniors in the 2nd and 3rd Divs?

The extra contract money would probably pay now for a Musielak, Walasek, Miesiac, etc etc at the lower end of a top league team..

With any future Kubera, or Smektala who come through, just taking a top league six or seven berth because they can handle it.. 

It would be truly a phenomenal standard, with a clear demarcation from Divs 2 and 3...

With Div 3 becoming a league for aspiring young riders rather than a home for ex internationals earning a fair few quid at the back end of their careers.

Edited by mikebv

1 hour ago, Deano said:

An interesting point. I’d imagine it would have to be a squad based on a BSPA backed franchise  . Based at the national stadium. I can’t imagine a single promoter having the cash to support a polish wage structure.

I agree U.K. promoters are only going to look inwards at keeping the leagues going with a diminishing number of riders.

If Poland are not careful they won’t have any other countries to compete against so I guess it’s in their interest to try and produce riders for others - a bit like we used to! 

9 hours ago, secsy1 said:

Some really negative posts on here, probably from supporters who think they are up to date, but are detached from reality.

People speaking about big wide tracks in Poland and the throttle jockeys, with no one under 20 on the British radar. REALLY !!!!

With the possible expansion of the Polish League, this is a great opportunity for British Speedway.

How`s that you are wondering?

Both Germany and Latvia have a team in the Polish League, why not a British one?

This would help develop our young riders along with their foreign young rivals of similar talent.

A couple of Premier League tracks are big and wide enough and sufficient Stadium facilities to do this.

Firstly and foremost there is a market out their to attract a new and younger audience. To move forward you must invest in the future.

Wait a minute who is going to take such a risk financially, well with everyone always slating greedy promoters for taking all and giving nothing back.

Potentially the gains outweigh the losses. He who dares wins.

Waiting in anticipation of all and sundry slaters, roll up roll up !!!!!!!!!!!  

Personally think it would be a good idea if speedway gb entered a team into the German teams cup . Make the proviso it's only our younger riders say under 22 and give them the opportunity. Also believe there format involves a 250 rider so would benefit the younger lads as well

Ok, I’m probably biased as my son is 25, but what is considered young ?

I think the UK should accept they’re not going to produce an U21 world champ for a while and encourage our young riders to start hitting their peak a bit later. It’s far too much pressure on a 17/18/19 year old.

The team GB set up is working, let’s get the basics right before putting too much pressure on young shoulders. 

Before someone comes back and points out that the Poles have a  conveyer belt of young talent …. Yes, but they also have the facilities and budget that we can only dream of. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Why do people compare us to Poland? Speedway is a much bigger sport there.

Do Polish people compare their football team, cricket 11 rugby squads and boxers to GB?

Edited by KeirStarmerFan

2 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I'd say Adam is now past young. Now in the mature, experienced stage of his career.

I think the UK should accept they’re not going to produce an U21 world champ for a while and encourage our young riders to start hitting their peak a bit later. It’s far too much pressure on a 17/18/19 year old.

This is an interesting one. There is no hard rule that no rider will become 'world class' into their 30's, just it becomes more unlikely. In the same way it's more likely, at peak fitness & maturity, between 25 & 30 tends to be their level

The team GB set up is working, let’s get the basics right before putting too much pressure on young shoulders.

Have to disagree. Between 15-22 these are the most important years to hone that potential. I'd agree it's an age of fine lines, between encouraging & killing someone's career. At this stage though the limits do need to be pushed. If thing's are just left to go by, come early to mid 20's, when the real world kicks in too, career's can be over as the work home life balance can become 1 & the same pressures.

Some of us fans can be absolute vanker's to rider's but our opinion is less likely to be as damaging than those of Speedway's coaches, manager's & owner's. 

Like I said, there's no hard rule. There will be another Greg Hancock & another Michael Lee at some point 

15 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

Before someone comes back and points out that the Poles have a  conveyer belt of young talent …. Yes, but they also have the facilities and budget that we can only dream of. 

I think there is a lot to be said for not expecting our young riders to match those from other countries at the same age.

Generally speaking Polish, Danish and Swedish riders that I know of and maybe other countries too can have hours of bike time to every minute a British lad can get. Therefore experience wise they are bound to be behind age for age. 

To my way of thinking we need to be trying to produce decent league riders in higher numbers and from that will come the odd superstar, much like it's always been. Think how many thousands of kids go through MX where they can ride far more often and we only produce a couple of genuine World class riders each generation. Yet some expect 30 or 40 Speedway beginners who get to ride for 6 or 7 minutes once a fortnight to produce World Champions or they are considered failures. If you got 10 capable of riding in a professional league that would be an incredible success rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vince said:

I think there is a lot to be said for not expecting our young riders to match those from other countries at the same age.

Generally speaking Polish, Danish and Swedish riders that I know of and maybe other countries too can have hours of bike time to every minute a British lad can get. Therefore experience wise they are bound to be behind age for age. 

To my way of thinking we need to be trying to produce decent league riders in higher numbers and from that will come the odd superstar, much like it's always been. Think how many thousands of kids go through MX where they can ride far more often and we only produce a couple of genuine World class riders each generation. Yet some expect 30 or 40 Speedway beginners who get to ride for 6 or 7 minutes once a fortnight to produce World Champions or they are considered failures. If you got 10 capable of riding in a professional league that would be an incredible success rate.

You can ride as many laps as you like, but those that tend to go on and succeed at a higher level do so imo, because of their mentality. Look at Nick Pedersen, you wouldn't say he was a natural on a bike, but mentally he's a giant.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Look at Nick Pedersen, you wouldn't say he was a natural on a bike

Can't agree with that. When he arrived at Newcastle he could put the bike wherever he wanted on a track that not many can.  Liquid speedway.  Maybe red mist Nicki took over too often making him look ragged but that's his winning mentality. I think we only saw red mist Nicki once at Brough when Stuey Swales wouldn't let him past. I'd struggle to think of any more naturally gifted riders of the era. Gollob?  Maybe one for another thread...

On 8/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, Deano said:

Doesn't have to be entering the Polish League does it.  It looks like all of the GP riders are looking to do at least 2 leagues Poland and A N other.  Doesn't look like Sweden can afford them all but what is there to stop a 'Euro League'.  A couple of tracks each from Sweden and Britain, Vojens, Daugavpils and one or two of the better German tracks.

Get the product to an equivalent level as the Polish League (GP rider heatleaders, best domestic riders at 2nd string and best domestic U21 riders at reserve, using the best FIM/GP standard race tracks). All of those nations could do with getting their younger riders exposed to top level competition and you get to sell the TV rights to five home countries, more opportunities for riders to attract sponsors.

Bi-weekly home fixtures featuring the top riders in the world (if there were two teams from Britain that would only be 14 UK fixtures in the season) should boost the crowd levels.  Yes you couldn't use Sundays but with combined bargaining power you might be allocated a Friday night race day or the odd Saturday. Regardless, between those nations you'd have Monday to Thursday guaranteed for fixtures.

It's not just Britain who are struggling to compete with Poland (in terms of their domestic leagues and young riders) so why doesn't everyone else pool their resources together to produce an equally as professional high standard league. Providing a similar pathway to the highest level of the sport that the Poles enjoy.

Hopefully Brexit and Covid haven't made it a permanently logistical nightmare?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enotian said:

Doesn't have to be entering the Polish League does it.  It looks like all of the GP riders are looking to do at least 2 leagues Poland and A N other.  Doesn't look like Sweden can afford them all but what is there to stop a 'Euro League'.  A couple of tracks each from Sweden and Britain, Vojens, Daugavpils and one or two of the better German tracks.

Get the product to an equivalent level as the Polish League (GP rider heatleaders, best domestic riders at 2nd string and best domestic U21 riders at reserve, using the best FIM/GP standard race tracks). All of those nations could do with getting their younger riders exposed to top level competition and you get to sell the TV rights to five home countries, more opportunities for riders to attract sponsors.

Bi-weekly home fixtures featuring the top riders in the world (if there were two teams from Britain that would only be 14 UK fixtures in the season) should boost the crowd levels.  Yes you couldn't use Sundays but with combined bargaining power you might be allocated a Friday night race day or the odd Saturday. Regardless, between those nations you'd have Monday to Thursday guaranteed for fixtures.

It's not just Britain who are struggling to compete with Poland (in terms of their domestic leagues and young riders) so why doesn't everyone else pool their resources together to produce an equally as professional high standard league. Providing a similar pathway to the highest level of the sport that the Poles enjoy.

Hopefully Brexit and Covid haven't made it a permanently logistical nightmare?

Where's the money coming from? Poland love Poland ...

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Where's the money coming from? Poland love Poland ...

Precisely, this is why I suggested it would have to be a BSPA joint franchise. It’s still a lot of money to find. But it might be more marketable for potential sponsors. 

Going back to the original question... not for Jason Edwards it's not, he's just been binned off (for the 2nd time this season) from Plymouth in favour of a journeyman from the senior league who already has a club in Kings Lynn