British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Young Brits are thing’s looking more hopeful for the future.?

6 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Dozens of other examples similar to this with regard to many issues

They know best....

Thought that this was blatantly obvious to everyone as it can clearly be seen by the uber successful sport we have today that they run...

Being a “big fish in a small pond”in UK means nothing in terms of anywhere near being World Class.In any Sport only a tiny amount of competitors reach the TOP in World Terms.

Polish Speedway is the dominant force in Speedway in , Sponsership,Organisation,Promoting and crowd levels.

They have set rules which are relatively simple and reviewed at the end of most seasons.

They implement changes if they think help the sport in their Country.

They come down heavy on Teams that don’t comply ,even to the extent of track prep.

Here in UK it’s all about self interest,a rule book that is all about  interpretation.

The sport in decline in UK,we just have to accept that fact

Any young Talent with real ambition in World Terms has to be riding on the Continent .Breaking through there is difficult ball game for any of them as can be seen when the ride abroad just now at Age Group Levels.

UK is now where  journeyman riders pick up  and top up their wages,that doesn’t mean we cannot see decent matches and entertainment,but we need to attract people to watch in decent numbers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Being a “big fish in a small pond”in UK means nothing in terms of anywhere near being World Class.In any Sport only a tiny amount of competitors reach the TOP in World Terms.

Polish Speedway is the dominant force in Speedway in , Sponsership,Organisation,Promoting and crowd levels.

They have set rules which are relatively simple and reviewed at the end of most seasons.

They implement changes if they think help the sport in their Country.

They come down heavy on Teams that don’t comply ,even to the extent of track prep.

Here in UK it’s all about self interest,a rule book that is all about  interpretation.

The sport in decline in UK,we just have to accept that fact

Any young Talent with real ambition in World Terms has to be riding on the Continent .Breaking through there is difficult ball game for any of them as can be seen when the ride abroad just now at Age Group Levels.

UK is now where  journeyman riders pick up  and top up their wages,that doesn’t mean we cannot see decent matches and entertainment,but we need to attract people to watch in decent numbers.

Very good post and a good assessment of speedway in uk . As the parent of a young rider we have seen the level that European riders are in terms of ability against our lads and in all honesty it's not so much what they do on the bike it's more about the set ups. These lads all have constant training on all aspects of the sport with national coaches who also travel with them for meetings. We have occasional days with current and former riders which is more based on track than in the pits. The days are ok but are always run on slick tracks with no preparation done to them , after speaking with our counter parts the always practice on fully prepared race tracks . There is no help for the parent who has to do the spanner work and in all honesty even though I'm quite mechanically minded I do believe there's not much more I can do and without guidance I don't know how much more I can do or teach my lad. His natural talent will only take him so far then it's about small marginal gains which without more help at this stage we won't know how to get them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Very good post and a good assessment of speedway in uk . As the parent of a young rider we have seen the level that European riders are in terms of ability against our lads and in all honesty it's not so much what they do on the bike it's more about the set ups. These lads all have constant training on all aspects of the sport with national coaches who also travel with them for meetings. We have occasional days with current and former riders which is more based on track than in the pits. The days are ok but are always run on slick tracks with no preparation done to them , after speaking with our counter parts the always practice on fully prepared race tracks . There is no help for the parent who has to do the spanner work and in all honesty even though I'm quite mechanically minded I do believe there's not much more I can do and without guidance I don't know how much more I can do or teach my lad. His natural talent will only take him so far then it's about small marginal gains which without more help at this stage we won't know how to get them

are you able to sort the engines yourself? 

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

are you able to sort the engines yourself? 

Servicing  is done by Sean wilson and Robbie Kessler . Is not the maintenance for me it's set ups ,jetting ,timing up a tooth down a tooth shorten it up lengthen it up  and the rest . I get good feed back from the pilot but it is interpreting it from what he says to what I see when he's riding . Constantly when we have been away we have nobody with this type of knowledge with us .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Servicing  is done by Sean wilson and Robbie Kessler . Is not the maintenance for me it's set ups ,jetting ,timing up a tooth down a tooth shorten it up lengthen it up  and the rest . I get good feed back from the pilot but it is interpreting it from what he says to what I see when he's riding . Constantly when we have been away we have nobody with this type of knowledge with us .

I’m sorry I don’t know who your son is, does he have a mentor … an experienced rider who can point him in the right direction ?

These things do eventually come with time and he’ll be able to work things out for himself, but as we’ve seen with UK speedway, promoters don’t give time. It’s ruthless 

Just now, phillwhitewasmad said:

a lot of riders used to do their own servicing to save money, but i appreciate it's not always possible.

sounds like the problem (and it's been like this for ever) is most senior riders keeping things close to their chest which is a shame.

this is where the likes of Stead and Allen looking after the GB youngsters come into play, but it should also be down to senior riders in the team passing on this info, home or away, but many are too quick to want to get packed up and away

5 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

I’m sorry I don’t know who your son is, does he have a mentor … an experienced rider who can point him in the right direction ?
My son is luke Harrison current British 250cc champion. We have no mentor but since starting at 7 years Wayne Carter amongst others has been fantastic with him along with Berwick and scunthorpe speedway 

These things do eventually come with time and he’ll be able to work things out for himself, but as we’ve seen with UK speedway, promoters don’t give time. It’s ruthless 

8 minutes ago, stevehone said:

a lot of riders used to do their own servicing to save money, but i appreciate it's not always possible.

in fairness it's not a money issue and if I had the equipment and time could probably do it myself but it's easier to go elsewhere 

sounds like the problem (and it's been like this for ever) is most senior riders keeping things close to their chest which is a shame.

Can't disagree but there are one or two exceptions to that

this is where the likes of Stead and Allen looking after the GB youngsters come into play, but it should also be down to senior riders in the team passing on this info, home or away, but many are too quick to want to get packed up and away

whilst riding for Berwick in the junior league Kevin Doolan was fantastic always supportive 

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Think that has always been a major factor with juniors and young riders.Thought the likes of Stead and Co would give the info.Another point you make that is really valid is track prep all the years I have watched speedway the second half riders only have had slick tracks to race on and generally learn nothing,years ago when there was more dirt on the track if they ever got into the Team in a Reserve Position they were out in Ht2 and usually got into all sorts of trouble as there was dirt on the track which they  had seldom encountered.Like you say track prep should’ve the same as league meetings,it’s the only way they will learn(the hard way).The Poles have recognised Trainers for all their youngsters, which would take the pressure of parents like yourself.We talk a good story, but do we deliver!! Best of luck to your son,tell him just to enjoy it and it will happen.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think that has always been a major factor with juniors and young riders.Thought the likes of Stead and Co would give the info.Another point you make that is really valid is track prep all the years I have watched speedway the second half riders only have had slick tracks to race on and generally learn nothing,years ago when there was more dirt on the track if they ever got into the Team in a Reserve Position they were out in Ht2 and usually got into all sorts of trouble as there was dirt on the track which they  had seldom encountered.Like you say track prep should’ve the same as league meetings,it’s the only way they will learn(the hard way).The Poles have recognised Trainers for all their youngsters, which would take the pressure of parents like yourself.We talk a good story, but do we deliver!! Best of luck to your son,tell him just to enjoy it and it will happen.

There is a train of thought that kids can't ride prepared tracks and they need to be slick but if they don't have the chance to ride them how would they know. We did the Scunthorpe v Leicester challenge last year as part of the 250 group and the track was somewhere between championship and National league preparation and the boys coped admirably.

Have done very few second half's this year as was finding it was just an exercise in learning how to change tyres and I already knew how to do that .

unfortunately we don't have a dedicated trading system like the Poles , Germans, Danes and Swedes the majority of our training is pay £40 and queue up. There have been some good sessions with Jason crump though but sadly not enough . Personally think we could do with someone different at each level 125, 250 and 500 to pass on information and educate riders and parents

He is loving it and enjoying at the moment but as the years go by and the nearer it gets to reality of potentially league racing the more intense it gets

Adding to the chap above's comments :D: I would have thought when the Poultec sessions take place, based at King's Lynn I beleive, that the track time would be on a circuit prepared for an offical meeting i.e. starting off grippy and possibly a tad damp, then gradually drying out & becoming slick so as to give the riders experience of the changing track conditions, as they would encounter in a proper meeting, and being instructed in the set-up changes required.  I've also heard that such training sessions, in Poland for example, the rider coaches & riders themselves are asked how they'd like the tracks prepared so as to gain experience of the different conditions which occur.....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

7 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Adding to the chap above's comments :D: I would have thought when the Poultec sessions take place, based at King's Lynn I beleive, that the track time would be on a circuit prepared for an offical meeting i.e. starting off grippy and possibly a tad damp, then gradually drying out & becoming slick so as to give the riders experience of the changing track conditions, as they would encounter in a proper meeting, and being instructed in the set-up changes required.  I've also heard that such training sessions, in Poland for example, the rider coaches & riders themselves are asked how they'd like the tracks prepared so as to gain experience of the different conditions which occur.....

Good morning Martin not old enough  be involved in the Poultec scheme so can't comment 

And good afternoon to you.  I was commenting generally, not really about your lad (who is already a bit good !), and he would do well and kick on with the Poultec scheme, but yeh just riding on a slick track young riders won't learn as much as by riding in different conditions.  I prob should have prob said that in the first place, not posted in the early hours when quite tired B)...

It's no doubt been discussed elsewhere but does anybody know why GB had no entrants into the WU21 Championship this year?

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's no doubt been discussed elsewhere but does anybody know why GB had no entrants into the WU21 Championship this year?

They did- read this thread  

• Thanks 1