British Speedway Forum
Old Crusader

22/08/21 1600 Newcastle v Kent (Champ)

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Kent’s 3 big guns will ensure a close meeting, but the minor places will likely be picked up by the Newcastle gusts. Still they need a home win to maximise their chances of survival …..so hope they get a 2 point win with some good close racing to entertain their crowd. 

God help us if Alf is an example of a “rising star”, he’s been at it 6 years since his debut with Rye House Raiders, and from what I have seen  isn’t going to rise much further. 

I think that's a bit unfair and disrespectful of Bowtell personally, if you look at his career in the Championship he had last couple of months with Newcastle, a season with Lakeside and then had a large chunk of the season riding at 3 for Eastbourne and now this year with Plymouth. Even when he rode for us you could see he had a bit of something about him and his scores this season have been quite good and riding with Crump & Pedersen weekly should improve him. 

He's still only 23/24 I think so has plenty of time to improve further imo. And I for one hope he does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see Kent are lined up without   Jakey Mulforde ( again) and now Gilksey is missing! 
Think these “rising stars” need to confirm on which planet they want their star to rise. 

3 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I see Kent are lined up without   Jakey Mulforde ( again) and now Gilksey is missing! 
Think these “rising stars” need to confirm on which planet they want their star to rise. 

As with Freeman gilkes is riding in British under 19 championship at mildenhall today

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Kent’s 3 big guns will ensure a close meeting, but the minor places will likely be picked up by the Newcastle gusts. Still they need a home win to maximise their chances of survival …..so hope they get a 2 point win with some good close racing to entertain their crowd. 

God help us if Alf is an example of a “rising star”, he’s been at it 6 years since his debut with Rye House Raiders, and from what I have seen  isn’t going to rise much further. 

Alfie is only 24 and is showing a great improvement,what more can you ask for.Interesting to see how many rising stars go up much further.Personally don’t think it was required because as usual it’s flawed in its make up.

• Like 1

Bowtell for Freeman is frankly ludicrous, even though it’s in the rules. Like replacing Heeps with Bjarne.

30 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

As with Freeman gilkes is riding in British under 19 championship at mildenhall today

Mulford is riding in a world long track qualifier in Czech, takes priority over CL or u19s.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Gilkes' priority today should absolutely be a national championship.

34 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

It is probably nothing to do with what the rider wants but the FIM priorities. Jake is in CZ I think in a World FIM Long Track event representing England,

A great honour for a teenager. And Gilkes is at Mildenhall for the under 19 Final.  It is not his fault that the fixtures clash.  I would think that in a normal

30 week season it would have been easy to avoid such a clash. Old Bob needs to be more understanding and less critical,   but if he was, then he wouldn't

be the grumpy old dissatisfied half fan that we all know and love ???

• Like 1

Since being handed the opportunity of a regular team place sadly Jake has taken up the offer half heartedly. Taking bookings at the frittenden fryer grass track, going halfway across Europe for a long track meeting is his priority. I believe the lad could be a seriously good speedway rider but he needs to learn and polish his technique on speedway tracks not farmers fields or 1000m long tracks. Or maybe concentrate on farmers fields and long tracks and pack up speedway to give someone else a chance ? 

17 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Since being handed the opportunity of a regular team place sadly Jake has taken up the offer half heartedly. Taking bookings at the frittenden fryer grass track, going halfway across Europe for a long track meeting is his priority. I believe the lad could be a seriously good speedway rider but he needs to learn and polish his technique on speedway tracks not farmers fields or 1000m long tracks. Or maybe concentrate on farmers fields and long tracks and pack up speedway to give someone else a chance ? 

You obviously don’t like Jake.He was nominated for the FIM long track event.The state the sport is in in GB he would be a fool to turn it down,whether it be long track or not.Kent have a got a decent replacement for.

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Think you need to check what’s going on before you make idiotic posts.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, Old Crusader said:

To be honest, after there recent games im surprised at how low they are in the league, especially with riders like Nicholls and batchelor. there experience with GP should be able to pull them together. and after seeing them in action at Armadale on Friday they seem reasonably strong, Its far to late in the season for them to make any major moves but i do see them jumping to 10th at least before the end of the season