British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Newcastle 25th August 2021

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If Poole don’t score 75 there should be sackings

Nice bit of fishing there! Do we know what guests Newcastle are using yet?

What's the parking like a Poole? Is it decent? What's the cost? Enough spaces usually? Chaos at the end trying to get out? Cheers

On 8/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, Skidder1 said:

The cut-off for September 1st averages is Monday next (23rd). I wonder if there could be a change in rider order?

Why would the order change? The cut off is 23rd but averages don't come into effect till 1st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

What's the parking like a Poole? Is it decent? What's the cost? Enough spaces usually? Chaos at the end trying to get out? Cheers

1. big enough car park if you can get there for 6-6.30  EDIT - there are a few side roads near the stadium where you can park, but there is a lot of double yellows around!

2. decent in what way? Racing wise or facility wise?

3. £17 for adults u11's free, think they do student/oap concessions (might need proof idk)

4. Should be fine for seating. I didn't get to the grandstand til 7.20pm last week ( they had roadworks on A338 that I didn't know about!) and they were still seating available. 

5. Chaos? As in everyone leaving at the same time? There are 2 exits, if you are a patient and relaxed driver then you'll be fine, it's not too bad!;)

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Why would the order change? The cut off is 23rd but averages don't come into effect till 1st.

Okay, no riding order changes til we face Glasgow then :)

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Do we know what guests Newcastle are using yet?

Last I heard it was only 1 guest. Tom Brennan for Stormy Wethers.

1 minute ago, Dickie Head said:

Last I heard it was only 1 guest. Tom Brennan for Stormy Wethers.

Ah okay. I saw they used two on Sunday. One of them was just unavailable rather than an injury then? Hmmm Tom Brennan at Poole? Eastbourne haven't been down yet, so I'm guessing this is his first visit? Should be interesting to see how he gets on. 

5 hours ago, Sevy said:

Hi Steve - thanks for the helpful info - much appreciated.

One further question - any recommendations of where it would be good to stand?  My kids are fairly short so I’d ideally like to find somewhere where they can get a clear view without being blocked by walls/fences etc - any suggestions?

Cheers...

Worth noting that at both ends of the stadium the standing terraces are raised up higher than the track so a good view overlooking all bends.

I agree that best view and atmosphere is undoubtedly the main (outside) grandstand by the start line.

Also worth noting that if you are not dashing out to leave after Heat 15 there are usually rider interviews and a rider of the night presentation, so staying to watch and listen to that can mean the car park is easier to get out of, if others have left!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Ah okay. I saw they used two on Sunday. One of them was just unavailable rather than an injury then? Hmmm Tom Brennan at Poole? Eastbourne haven't been down yet, so I'm guessing this is his first visit? Should be interesting to see how he gets on. 

eastbourne may never come down this season . got to come twice yet . it will be nice to see tom brennan  anyway 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ray c said:

eastbourne may never come down this season . got to come twice yet . it will be nice to see tom brennan  anyway 

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get to. I do love the Poole vs Eastbourne meetings! One of the things I was looking forward to when we dropped down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MMX Events said:

Also worth noting that if you are not dashing out to leave after Heat 15 there are usually rider interviews and a rider of the night presentation, so staying to watch and listen to that can mean the car park is easier to get out of, if others have left!

Do you think they will do the rider press conferences (or whatever you would call it!) this season? Or has covid put paid to that!  

Edited by lisa-colette

42 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Do you think they will do the rider press conferences (or whatever you would call it!) this season? Or has covid put paid to that!  

Was something we had hoped to do but the venue has been out of action due to flood damage and the dreaded C disease.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

1. big enough car park if you can get there for 6-6.30  EDIT - there are a few side roads near the stadium where you can park, but there is a lot of double yellows around!

2. decent in what way? Racing wise or facility wise?

3. £17 for adults u11's free, think they do student/oap concessions (might need proof idk)

4. Should be fine for seating. I didn't get to the grandstand til 7.20pm last week ( they had roadworks on A338 that I didn't know about!) and they were still seating available. 

5. Chaos? As in everyone leaving at the same time? There are 2 exits, if you are a patient and relaxed driver then you'll be fine, it's not too bad!;)

Hi Lisa, thanks for your response. All of my questions though were directed at the car park :P Is it a decent car park? Plenty of spaces available? Obviously I dunno the area at all, so if I didn't get a space I wouldn't have a clue where to leave my car.

I have been to Poole once before a few years ago and I've got to say it's an amazing stadium, I sat in the seated stand along the back straight and it was a pleasurable evening, Vs Swindon with Doyle and Batchelor and I seem to remember Ellis Perks was really good that night too, also Rasmus Jensen. I forget who else was in the Poole team other than Jack and Brady. That night though I managed to get a hotel a 20 minute walk from the stadium so I just walked in and didn't really pay much attention to the car park tbh..

Also, does the car park cost anything to park in? If so, do I have to download one of these stupid parking apps that NEVER work? I don't mind a wait to get out the car park, I'm a pretty patient driver I would say, just didn't know how long. Also if there's a M+SDL meeting on after I would definitely stay for that. Dunno if Weymouth are running this season? I will be down for the Diamonds meeting and hopefully the bank holiday Sunday too vs Birmingham.

44 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Hi Lisa, thanks for your response. All of my questions though were directed at the car park :P Is it a decent car park? Plenty of spaces available? Obviously I dunno the area at all, so if I didn't get a space I wouldn't have a clue where to leave my car.

I have been to Poole once before a few years ago and I've got to say it's an amazing stadium, I sat in the seated stand along the back straight and it was a pleasurable evening, Vs Swindon with Doyle and Batchelor and I seem to remember Ellis Perks was really good that night too, also Rasmus Jensen. I forget who else was in the Poole team other than Jack and Brady. That night though I managed to get a hotel a 20 minute walk from the stadium so I just walked in and didn't really pay much attention to the car park tbh..

Also, does the car park cost anything to park in? If so, do I have to download one of these stupid parking apps that NEVER work? I don't mind a wait to get out the car park, I'm a pretty patient driver I would say, just didn't know how long. Also if there's a M+SDL meeting on after I would definitely stay for that. Dunno if Weymouth are running this season? I will be down for the Diamonds meeting and hopefully the bank holiday Sunday too vs Birmingham.

The car park does fill up quickly, but it is a decent enough size considering the stadium isn't far off the town centre. Wimborne Road is a pretty long road, and there are quite a few side roads to possibly park down if you get stuck. But if you aim to get to the stadium for 6pm then you should be okay. I never get there til about 6.45 and there are only a few spaces left then. But it is a public car park during the day not 100% sure what time it changes from public to speedway car park (i'm thinking about 6pm) It is a lot more expensive as a public car park. Last time we parked in it, it cost £1, but that was a while ago and Skidder is quoting £2.50, so we'll go with that one! No apps I don't think, I think there will be someone taking money as you drive into the car park. No youth meetings unfortuantely, probably take about 10 mins or so to get out the car park.

• Like 2