British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Newcastle 25th August 2021

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

Hi Lisa, thanks for your response. All of my questions though were directed at the car park :P Is it a decent car park? Plenty of spaces available? Obviously I dunno the area at all, so if I didn't get a space I wouldn't have a clue where to leave my car.

I have been to Poole once before a few years ago and I've got to say it's an amazing stadium, I sat in the seated stand along the back straight and it was a pleasurable evening, Vs Swindon with Doyle and Batchelor and I seem to remember Ellis Perks was really good that night too, also Rasmus Jensen. I forget who else was in the Poole team other than Jack and Brady. That night though I managed to get a hotel a 20 minute walk from the stadium so I just walked in and didn't really pay much attention to the car park tbh..

Also, does the car park cost anything to park in? If so, do I have to download one of these stupid parking apps that NEVER work? I don't mind a wait to get out the car park, I'm a pretty patient driver I would say, just didn't know how long. Also if there's a M+SDL meeting on after I would definitely stay for that. Dunno if Weymouth are running this season? I will be down for the Diamonds meeting and hopefully the bank holiday Sunday too vs Birmingham.

Further to Lisa's reply the car park is £2.50 cash only, payable at the kiosk on entry.  The car park is used as a hospital overflow car park during the day so is heavily used during the day until shifts change. On a weekday it usually begins to clear of hospital staff between 5.15 and 6.15pm. I usually arrive around 6 pm and park very easily with gates/turnstiles opening from 6.30pm. There are usually queues at both sets of entry.

Not sure yet what is happening for the Brum meeting on Bank Holiday Sunday with a 5pm start? I expect they will announce more on Wednesday. Hope this helps 

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Last I heard it was only 1 guest. Tom Brennan for Stormy Wethers.

Brennan is not listed in the Diamonds team. r/r at 2 and Freeman at 6

Bloody holy slaughterations! This is going to be a rout.

3 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Why would the order change? The cut off is 23rd but averages don't come into effect till 1st.

My post did say from September 1st so any changes in riding order effective for Poole's away meeting at Birmingham.

The only thinking being discussed in the crowd last week was if Worrall goes to number 1 (with Nielsen going to 2 to keep their successful partnership, unless Cook's average gets to higher than Stefan's?)

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Bloody holy slaughterations! This is going to be a rout.

not good for the paying customer then 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Do you think they will do the rider press conferences (or whatever you would call it!) this season? Or has covid put paid to that!  

Hi Lisa .. there is certainly a desire to bring the press conference back whenever the Champs Bar becomes available (including this year if possible). Until that happens we will continue to interview riders after the meeting at the start line. We did think this would be a popular alternative as it was immediate rather than having to wait for riders and fans to assemble in another place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Brennan is not listed in the Diamonds team. r/r at 2 and Freeman at 6

Mmmmm........strange. I clearly remember reading that Brennan had been booked for Kent and Poole on consecutive nights this week. Wonder if the Eastbourne shenanigans or Newcastle’s budget have prompted a change of plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

Mmmmm........strange. I clearly remember reading that Brennan had been booked for Kent and Poole on consecutive nights this week. Wonder if the Eastbourne shenanigans or Newcastle’s budget have prompted a change of plan.

More than likely. Not much difference between a big defeat and being slaughtered, and if it saves a few hundred quid and helps Newcastle survive then so be it.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

My post did say from September 1st so any changes in riding order effective for Poole's away meeting at Birmingham.

The only thinking being discussed in the crowd last week was if Worrall goes to number 1 (with Nielsen going to 2 to keep their successful partnership, unless Cook's average gets to higher than Stefan's?)

I'm not sure about this, as whoever is at 4 will find it tough out of Basso or maybe if a reserve moves into the 1-5. Even Stef was moaning about H14 being hard as he is on one of the outside gates. I think if Basso stays top 5 or one of the reserves move into the 1-5, they still need H8 to help them along. 

2 hours ago, MMX Events said:

Hi Lisa .. there is certainly a desire to bring the press conference back whenever the Champs Bar becomes available (including this year if possible). Until that happens we will continue to interview riders after the meeting at the start line. We did think this would be a popular alternative as it was immediate rather than having to wait for riders and fans to assemble in another place.

Yes, that is true. The interviews are still very good! I did like the fans questions though as sometimes they can be a bit blunt and less diplomatic! :o:D

Thanks for the response! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Ummm, you can actually pay by card on the gate but just have to queue outside the glass stand rather than under the main grandstand as everytime i get near the front of the queue i get asked if paying by cash or card!! Card queue is always a lot longer than the cash one though!

Thanks for this Lisa - good to know. Think I’ll make sure I bring cash to reduce the queuing time!

6 hours ago, MMX Events said:

Worth noting that at both ends of the stadium the standing terraces are raised up higher than the track so a good view overlooking all bends.

I agree that best view and atmosphere is undoubtedly the main (outside) grandstand by the start line.

Thanks for this - that’s definitely good to know as my boys do struggle to get a clear view as they’re both so short...

12 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Looking at the current form averages, Stefan will drop to reserve. Cook has one more home meeting to go but is averaging 5.60

17 hours ago, Dandelion said:

What's the parking like a Poole? Is it decent? What's the cost? Enough spaces usually? Chaos at the end trying to get out? Cheers

It's ok. Car is absolutely covered in dust by the finish though.

18 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Also if there's a M+SDL meeting on after I would definitely stay for that. Dunno if Weymouth are running this season?

Sadly Weymouth fell foul of the ridiculous 'ghost team' ruling so cannot enter the MSDL. In fact officially i believe its only Birmingham, Wolves and Eastbourne (at the moment) in it.....very sad demise really.