British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

Birmingham v Plymouth 25 Aug

BIRMINGHAM co-owner Peter Mason wants to see a crowd at the same level as the Leicester and Kent meetings when Plymouth visit Perry Barr on Wednesday (7.30).

In a big night for the club they welcome legendary three-time World Champion Jason Crump with the Gladiators and former Brummies number one Bjarne Pedersen.

Mason has revealed how last week’s attendance against Berwick was 200 down on the previous numbers – something which he puts down to Albion and Blues playing at home that night.

He said: “To sustain the season we need to get back to the level we enjoyed against Leicester and Kent. If we had those crowd numbers every week there would be no concerns.

“It’s important for everyone to come along and get right behind us, we are all digging deep and doing our very best as a club.

“We want to ensure this club has a bright future in the city and it’s down to the fans to enable us to make that happen.”

Mason is excited by the prospect of Crump and Pedersen visiting Perry Barr.

“Jason in particular is a legend of the sport and always will be,” he said. “It’s great to see him back racing and I notice he’s been scoring some good points recently after his bad injury earlier in the season.

“I’m expecting a really good, competitive meeting and once again there will be the opportunity for fans to visit the pits and get autographs and selfies.

“We’re also offering the chance to watch from the centregreen again and there will be games for the kids.

“It’s a great package for fans of all ages and I hope to welcome a big crowd for a big night of racing.”

Meanwhile the sides meet in Devon on Tuesday in more Championship action.

Brummies are unchanged from the side which went down to defeat at Scunthorpe on Friday.

BRUMMIES TEAM: Erik Riss, Valentin Grobauer, James Shanes, Ashley Morris, Chris Harris, Paco Castagna, Jack Thomas.
Modify message

Edited by Speedway fan

Brummies are not going to get crowds like they had for Kent & Leicester when West Bromwich Albion are playing at home against Arsenal, 10 minutes away, on the same night I'm afraid.  At least Birmingham City are not also playing at home this week.

• Like 1

It is a League Cup match with the sides undoubtedly using reserve and youth players in the main and not their full sides . I know Baggies fans who are not bothering to go to watch it .

We need positive posts telling people how good a meeting it was last week with the dust problems of the previous week sorted and John Priest getting the track sorted .

• Like 3

I'm not being negative, just realistic.

• Like 2

Throw in a good lump of away fans which boosted the numbers. Kent have a dedicated travelling group and Leicester is just up the road. Im sure there are Plymouth fans who travel about but i wouldn't bet on a lot more than 20 through the gate. 

Given the current home form and the fact that they seem to have solved the dust issues (dust free last week), lovely weather forecast too, this should be another really good contest and probably the last chance to see 3x World Champion Jason Crump up close at Perry Barr. Be great to see him in person in the pits and get his autograph and a photo. Throw in another GP winner in Bjarne Pedersen and exciting youngsters in Ruml and Keleher and its a good meeting in prospect. 

I'd certainly be favouring a trip to Birmingham than watching West Brom reserves any day of the week.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Given the current home form and the fact that they seem to have solved the dust issues (dust free last week), lovely weather forecast too, this should be another really good contest and probably the last chance to see 3x World Champion Jason Crump up close at Perry Barr. Be great to see him in person in the pits and get his autograph and a photo. Throw in another GP winner in Bjarne Pedersen and exciting youngsters in Ruml and Keleher and its a good meeting in prospect. 

I'd certainly be favouring a trip to Birmingham than watching West Brom reserves any day of the week.... 

Never mind the reserves who wants to watch the first team ;).

• Haha 2

As an Albion fan but a Brummies season ticket holder I'll be at Perry Barr. Albion should be good to watch this year in the championship, it's when they're in the Premier League that it gets depressing!

No Shane’s tonight, hopefully no Morris either, and get someone to guest. 

Still be a 1-5 in heat 3.

calling heat one 4-2 Riss wins 

calling heat two 5-1 Thomas wins 

1 hour ago, Brummies23 said:

That apostrophe in Shanes is superfluous. I've seen others do likewise and am curious as to why. 

1 hour ago, Brummies23 said:

No Shane’s tonight,  

Doesn't surprise me after last nights battering. Taken down not once but twice by Morris!

9 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

9 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Got the winner for heat one and got heat 2 score corrected. Here comes heat 3

Pre meeting comments - One ride each for Harris, Morris & probably two for Castagna as R/R for Shanes makes Brummies stronger.

Other than Crump, Pedersen & Ruml (who I saw ride in California in 2015) don't know any of this Plymouth team.

Good to see Jack Thomas starting to come good. Like him when rode for Glasgow seemed to have gone backwards since

The Brummies didn't hit 60 points tonight so I doubt they will - Plymouth offered little resistance, except for Dillon Ruml who was their best rider by far after a tentative first few laps of Perry Barr in his first ride.  Deserved his heat 15 outing and Gladiators team manager should have used him rather than Pedersen for the Tac Sub - clearly quicker, was still chasing the back wheel of Erik Riss on the last lap of heat 15 when if he hadn't fallen may well have passed the Brummies #1 on the final bends.  The rest of the Gladiators were fairly anonymous including Pedersen who was frankly pedestrian, if that's how he rode for Brummies when he was their #1 no wonder he got booed during the presentation.  Crump was OK, same style, same mannerisms as the rider who I thought was the best rider in the world in the late noughties - just not as quick.  And Keleher who was frankly wild, a danger to himself and others, clouted the air fence and stayed on heat 10 and almost knocked Edwards off in heat 14.

Except for Thomas, who had his best night at Perry Barr, Brummies were as much hit as they were miss.  Their scores don't suggest it but Morris and Castagna were far from their best, Morris stole second from Cook on the run to the line in heat 3 when he should really have found a way past both Gladiators earlier.  Riss was peerless in his first 3 rides.  Heat 13 when he made the gate in the first running (I don't know why the referee stopped the race, yes Crump moved before the tapes, but only to his own detriment) but missed it the second and didn't show much enthusiasm for giving chase, was possibly lucky to held on for the win in heat 15 due to Ruml's fall.  Harris didn't look at all comfortable in his first ride, seemed to be battling his bike, then untroubled until falling in heat 15.  Grobauer was again frankly poor, had nothing to beat in heat 1 & got a second lucky paid win later on.

Again no dust tonight, the bump in turn 1 has also almost disappeared.  Shame it wasn't enough of a contest to produce better racing.

And Hoorah for being home in 20 minutes rather than 90 with the M6 open at junction 10, would have been 15 minutes but for a dawdling driver on a single lane section of the A34 that meant I got stuck at the Scott Arms traffic lights.

Edited by Col