British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

kent v Newcastle tues 24th aug 6-30 pm

3 hours ago, M.D said:

Maybe because he's not in a clubs official declared 1-7..

He's listed in Eastbourne's 1-7.  They haven't folded, officially, yet, as far as I know, so surely he should be allowed to guest?

26 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Farcical scenes at Kent tonight. The track looked rough before the start and clearly the riders were unhappy with it. At one stage i thought the meeting was going to be called off. The final straw was letting the kids go out on a tricky surface, which resulted in a tumble for one of the youngsters. A poor advert for the sport, which would have put off any first timers.

A long hold up as there seemed to be something wrong with the track although, to be fair, from my seat in the grandstand it looked fine to me. When racing finally

started over half an hour late, the track looked very smooth and much slicker than usual, also very dusty which is far from normal. It was not watered all night which

I have never seen before. Maybe Len was not there ?  Something was far from normal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

A long hold up as there seemed to be something wrong with the track although, to be fair, from my seat in the grandstand it looked fine to me. When racing finally

started over half an hour late, the track looked very smooth and much slicker than usual, also very dusty which is far from normal. It was not watered all night which

I have never seen before. Maybe Len was not there ?  Something was far from normal.

Len was there. He didn't seem too keen on coming down from his perch.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Farcical scenes at Kent tonight. The track looked rough before the start and clearly the riders were unhappy with it. At one stage i thought the meeting was going to be called off. The final straw was letting the kids go out on a tricky surface, which resulted in a tumble for one of the youngsters. A poor advert for the sport, which would have put off any first timers.

Not just 1st timers. I Ve been going to Kent since it started but won't be going again. Expensive rubbish experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Riders were not happy with the track which caused the start to be delayed half an hour,,So now it was a race against time to beat the ludicrous curfew ,,A few riders tried the normally fast outside line to no effect so the match became follow my leader round the white line,,,,,there was no time to grade and water the track and a huge blue line developed on the inside.....This was the only bad meeting of the season so far ,,ok we won ,,but i go there to see exciting racing and this was not ...where the fault lies i do not know but once again speedway shoots itself in the foot ,,and a few more lost fans the we can do without in these difficult times for the sport we love.........

• Like 6

15 hours ago, M.D said:

Maybe because he's not in a clubs official declared 1-7..

He’s in TWO 1-7s!! Belle Vue and Eastbourne.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

He’s in TWO 1-7s!! Belle Vue and Eastbourne.

It was just a thought!!!

And I wasnt sure if you had to be in a 1-7 for the league your guesting in

Edited by M.D

Having been in love with Speedway for 50yrs but falling out of love for the last 10 or so I decided to try my nearest track (Kent) last night.

Start was hugely delayed, something to do with the track conditions despite it being good weather for days here in Kent

No rider parade/introductions.

Multiple attempts to run heat one.  Then inconsistency in applying the rules of rider exclusions.

Programme poorly designed

No signposts or advertising of stadium

Merchandise poorly designed with poor clarity of brand,  no car stickers (unforgiveable)

Scruffy staff

Scruffy stadium (could do with some cheap smartening up)

Announcer was too quiet to hear, made a few mistakes and was very 'low energy' - no presentation etc

Barely audible music played randomly with mainly silence around the track

Main stand had almost no lighting

4 portions of chips and 2 sausage rolls took 30mins from ordering to eating

No card payments in the Cafe

Interminable gardening before starts

Utterly pointless '2 minute warnings'

No team riding by the 'heat leaders'

Barely any overtaking past bend 1 (this is a perennial speedway problem not just Kent obviously)

And please.....in 2021, no more undignified victory parade with riders looking bored being driven round on the back of a lorry/trailer/car! Get the riders without helmets to ride round in formation on their bikes carrying Kent flags!

Positives:

The mascot was fun and looked interested!

The riders looked smart

Parking

Nice stadium with lots of potential

Huge local catchment area if anyone knew about the Kings

It was nice to see Martin Goodwin in the restaurant (fantastic rider) and nice to be back at a speedway track but not many reasons for a newcomer to return.  I really fear for UK league Speedway

Edited by HackneyHawk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M.D said:

It was just a thought!!!

And I wasnt sure if you had to be in a 1-7 for the league your guesting in

Dan Thompson is on the Rising Star list, who, according to the rules, are allowed to race in 2 leagues only( he is declared in Leicester's Championship & NL teams) yet he can ride in the Premiership as a guest Rising Star.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Dan Thompson is on the Rising Star list, who, according to the rules, are allowed to race in 2 leagues only( he is declared in Leicester's Championship & NL teams) yet he can ride in the Premiership as a guest Rising Star.

Think that happened with Leon at Berwick. He guested for Wolves then once he signed for them officially could not ride for Berwick's NDL team

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

Having been in love with Speedway for 50yrs but falling out of love for the last 10 or so I decided to try my nearest track (Kent) last night

Positives:

Make your mind up !!!

19 hours ago, westhamboy66 said:

37 mins after the start time one race a very dusty one at that. Track prep anyone

Track Curators advisers are available http://www.scbgb.co.uk/news.php?extend.91 but it seems like most of the tracks & curators do not want to use their experience because

(excuses);  this is how I always do it

this is how the riders want it

the weather will be fine so I will prepare it later

we can not get access to the track with sufficient time to prepare (on the day or within 48 hours)

there isn't a bump or bald patch prior to the meeting, it just evolves (week after week after week)

we expected a little rain so we prepared it accordingly. Unfortunately, it did not appear at the track

The track last last night was by far the worst it's been this season. On a perfect summers day, there must be a reason for this. I've seen no comments on the conditions by riders or management.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

I thought they'd done away with the NDL :lol:

3 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

Having been in love with Speedway for 50yrs but falling out of love for the last 10 or so I decided to try my nearest track (Kent) last night.

Start was hugely delayed, something to do with the track conditions despite it being good weather for days here in Kent

No rider parade/introductions.

Multiple attempts to run heat one.  Then inconsistency in applying the rules of rider exclusions.

Programme poorly designed

No signposts or advertising of stadium

Merchandise poorly designed with poor clarity of brand,  no car stickers (unforgiveable)

Scruffy staff

Announcer was too quiet to hear, made a few mistakes and was very 'low energy' - no presentation etc

Barely audible music played randomly with mainly silence around the track

4 portions of chips and 2 sausage rolls took 30mins from ordering to eating

No card payments in the Cafe

Interminable gardening before starts

Utterly pointless '2 minute warnings'

No team riding by the 'heat leaders'

Barely any overtaking past bend 1 (this is a perennial speedway problem not just Kent obviously)

And please.....in 2021, no more undignified victory parade with riders looking bored being driven round on the back of a lorry/trailer/car! Get the riders without helmets to ride round in formation on their bikes carrying Kent flags!

Positives:

The mascot was fun and looked interested!

The riders looked smart

Parking

Huge local catchment area if anyone knew about the Kings

It was nice to see Martin Goodwin in the restaurant (fantastic rider) and nice to be back at a speedway track but not many reasons for a newcomer to return.  I really fear for UK league Speedway

I love the fact that Hackney Hawk brought a tick list with him to Central Park in order to give marks out of 10.  He clearly didn't notice, bur Central Park is

actually signposted form various points including at the roundabout outside the stadium.  True that this particular meeting was not the best Speedway

I have ever seen.  Still a few good races, though. I cannot understand why no water went onto the track at any time when normally it is a regular feature.

I watched tractors whizzing round the track for no apparent reason for at least half an hour before the start, causing the 1st race over 30 minutes late.

Can anyone tell me what the tractors were doing ?