British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

kent v Newcastle tues 24th aug 6-30 pm

12 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I love the fact that Hackney Hawk brought a tick list with him to Central Park in order to give marks out of 10.  He clearly didn't notice, bur Central Park is

actually signposted form various points including at the roundabout outside the stadium.  True that this particular meeting was not the best Speedway

I have ever seen.  Still a few good races, though. I cannot understand why no water went onto the track at any time when normally it is a regular feature.

I watched tractors whizzing round the track for no apparent reason for at least half an hour before the start, causing the 1st race over 30 minutes late.

Can anyone tell me what the tractors were doing ?

The outside of the bends had been roughed up, creating too much loose material. The tractors were removing the excess shale, levelling and tyre packing.

4 hours ago, HackneyHawk said:

Start was hugely delayed, something to do with the track conditions despite it being good weather for days here in Kent

No rider parade/introductions.

Think you have answered that one on your own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The track last last night was by far the worst it's been this season. On a perfect summers day, there must be a reason for this. I've seen no comments on the conditions by riders or management.

Yes , it would be good to know why the track was so poor.

There was only really one racing line (the inside)...when you see Scott going backwards whilst trying the outside run when he missed the gate, you know the track is not great.

In fairness that is the only time this year I have noticed that.

There was a discussion/kerfuffle before riders took to the track just before the meeting and when Roynon & Batchelor collided on turn 3 of heat one , I feared the worst about the meeting continuing!!

Due to the discussion, the meeting was running late and prevented the tractors getting on and doing their regrading half way through the meeting.

One annoyance is that the start marshall seems to watch the riders digging for potatoes EVERY week before bringing them into line! ( to the shouts of 'get on with it')

I hope the A2 is not closed for roadworks again over the next few weeks as it took 2 hours to get home to Wanstead ( That's what you get for being an old Hackney / Lakeside supporter living in the east end of London).

And finally I know that presenting is an art form but surely there are better one's out there who are more comfortable behind the microphone.

PS ..Rory the Lion is a winner!!!

Edited by Speedwaycrazy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The outside of the bends had been roughed up, creating too much loose material. The tractors were removing the excess shale, levelling and tyre packing.

So really it was just down to bad track preparation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bad track prep or a visiting team that didn't like what they saw and got the ref to agree??

It had been a warm sunny day and there was a strong breeze. My guess is that Len and his crew prepared a track with a decent amount of material on it, and well watered. Len has often, even going back to his Waterden Road days, tended to have a wet opening heat or two knowing that it  would then produces an excellent track later on. The track this season in all the meetings I have seen has been in my opinion the best there since it opened - and the racing has been the best as well.

Could it be that having been told to change the track - ie tyre pack it and possibly remove some of the top surface, we were left with a slick track which then you could not water properly?

All season Scott has enjoyed riding the inner line or the outer. Last night there was only one line.

I'm no track expert, but clearly something was amiss. It would be great if Len or somebody at Kent could explain what went wrong. It looked a really healthy sized crowd - how many went home thinking that's what it's usually like at Kent?

NB Full credit to Newcastle, with Max Clegg, Adam Roynan, Connor Mountain, James Wright and Ben Barker all having their moments and never giving up - on paper it looked like the home team would easily top sixty points.

35 minutes ago, hawks 1975 said:

Bad track prep or a visiting team that didn't like what they saw and got the ref to agree??

It had been a warm sunny day and there was a strong breeze. My guess is that Len and his crew prepared a track with a decent amount of material on it, and well watered. Len has often, even going back to his Waterden Road days, tended to have a wet opening heat or two knowing that it  would then produces an excellent track later on. The track this season in all the meetings I have seen has been in my opinion the best there since it opened - and the racing has been the best as well.

Could it be that having been told to change the track - ie tyre pack it and possibly remove some of the top surface, we were left with a slick track which then you could not water properly?

All season Scott has enjoyed riding the inner line or the outer. Last night there was only one line.

I'm no track expert, but clearly something was amiss. It would be great if Len or somebody at Kent could explain what went wrong. It looked a really healthy sized crowd - how many went home thinking that's what it's usually like at Kent?

NB Full credit to Newcastle, with Max Clegg, Adam Roynan, Connor Mountain, James Wright and Ben Barker all having their moments and never giving up - on paper it looked like the home team would easily top sixty points.

There was something screwy about this meeting and the track prep.  From my seat in the grandstand the track looked fine and not unusual. Then all of a sudden there were

groups of riders standing on the track, then two tractors whizzing round on the banked part of the track and one of them had a grader on the back.  From my seat it

was far from obvious what was being done as it looked the same when they finished as it had before they started.  And why didn't the water cart go round ? On every other

meeting, and I have been to them all, the water cart goes round at about 6.15-sh and does 2/3 laps.  I said in an earlier post that maybe Len was not there, but another

poster says he was....like I said.  Something screwy here.

35 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

There was something screwy about this meeting and the track prep.  From my seat in the grandstand the track looked fine and not unusual. Then all of a sudden there were

groups of riders standing on the track, then two tractors whizzing round on the banked part of the track and one of them had a grader on the back.  From my seat it

was far from obvious what was being done as it looked the same when they finished as it had before they started.  And why didn't the water cart go round ? On every other

meeting, and I have been to them all, the water cart goes round at about 6.15-sh and does 2/3 laps.  I said in an earlier post that maybe Len was not there, but another

poster says he was....like I said.  Something screwy here.

Len has issued a statement on his news feed.

52 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Len has issued a statement on his news feed.

Yes & so it seems Hawks 1975 was spot on in his assessment of what happened.

47 minutes ago, hawks 1975 said:

His 'news feed'?

What is that and how do you access it?!!

You have to subscribe to it. Derek Barclay, the press officer will sort you out.

14 hours ago, Speedwaycrazy said:

One annoyance is that the start marshall seems to watch the riders digging for potatoes EVERY week before bringing them into line! ( to the shouts of 'get on with it')

Easily addressed with the introduction of a clock on the in field like they did in the GP's. I doubt it will happen though as the promoters think that all of that digging about is part of the "action" and it nicely pads out the 15 minutes of real action to cover 2 hours so they think the punter goes home thinking they've had a good value night out.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, M.D said:

Maybe because he's not in a clubs official declared 1-7..

21 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

He’s in TWO 1-7s!! Belle Vue and Eastbourne.

21 hours ago, M.D said:

It was just a thought!!!

And I wasnt sure if you had to be in a 1-7 for the league your guesting in

Maybe my hint was a bit too subtle

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Easily addressed with the introduction of a clock on the in field like they did in the GP's. I doubt it will happen though as the promoters think that all of that digging about is part of the "action" and it nicely pads out the 15 minutes of real action to cover 2 hours so they think the punter goes home thinking they've had a good value night out.

The introduction of a clock will also mean a change to the rules as in British Speedway you only have to be on track heading to the tapes. If a clock is to be introduced at all tracks in the future, then the rule is to be ready to race before the 2 minutes has elapsed.

Even the British Final had a shot clock just in front of the start line which was easily seen by us being seated just behind the start line & 2 rows up. This was mainly run down with races not starting for another 10-20 seconds. Knowing that this is the norm in British Speedway we then had nearly 10 minute intervals after every 4 races but this was dictated by TV & their schedule & interviews.

Later in the meeting we also saw the tractors racing round, seemingly not doing anything but tyre packing but, again, this is the norm for Belle Vue as well as grading & watering earlier throughout a meeting but it keeps the track moist & consistent.

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Yeah and yet more cost to clubs, some of which can hardly run due to financial difficulties to begin with.