British Speedway Forum
lewy

Plymouth v Birmingham Tuesday 24 August

12 hours ago, Historian said:

ht 14 everyone was screaming put Castagna in place of Morris, what the hell was the manager thinking Grrr.

Morris is the worst in the team for falls and mechanical issues, needs sorting! Thomas second to him.

Morris yes. But can’t blame Thomas. His young and scored well for Kent against Newcastle the other night. Rather have Thomas then Shane’s 

Is it only me that thinks the standard of the Referee's @ Plymouth this season have been very poor? I have been involved with speedway for 55 years & yes I have ridden a bike.  Maybe the better quality referees don't want to travel this far south. With the Plymouth track being so small there should be a perfectly good view of all the track from the box. Maybe they need a few training days.

3 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Is it only me that thinks the standard of the Referee's @ Plymouth this season have been very poor? I have been involved with speedway for 55 years & yes I have ridden a bike.  Maybe the better quality referees don't want to travel this far south. With the Plymouth track being so small there should be a perfectly good view of all the track from the box. Maybe they need a few training days.

The referee making terrible decisions against Redcar was Jim McGregor so I don't think it comes down to "quality", they all can just be a bit rubbish

36 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I was surprised Shanes was disqualified in the second incident with Morris, to me Morris fell in front of Shanes.. Shanes couldn't miss Morris's stricken machine.

1 hour ago, Deano said:

I was surprised Shanes was disqualified in the second incident with Morris, to me Morris fell in front of Shanes.. Shanes couldn't miss Morris's stricken machine.

We were very surprised that Keleher was chucked out for the last bend incident in Heat 3. Being on the apex of bends 3 /4 we were directly in line with a front-on view. No doubt in our opinion that Shanes barged his way through, taking ZK's line and caused Zane to fall. 

Otherwise, a thoroughly entertaining meeting with no shortage of passing. So good to see a sizeable crowd on a sunny evening (around 1000 I'd guess, given the promoters comments recently about having a hard-core of 700-800.. there were many more than usual). Excellent summer of racing at the Boniface Colosseum. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, speedybee said:

We were very surprised that Keleher was chucked out for the last bend incident in Heat 3. Being on the apex of bends 3 /4 we were directly in line with a front-on view. No doubt in our opinion that Shanes barged his way through, taking ZK's line and caused Zane to fall. 

Otherwise, a thoroughly entertaining meeting with no shortage of passing. So good to see a sizeable crowd on a sunny evening (around 1000 I'd guess, given the promoters comments recently about having a hard-core of 700-800.. there were many more than usual). Excellent summer of racing at the Boniface Colosseum. 

Looks like the Crump,Pedersen gamble has paid off.Good luck to them they seem to be doing some right.(paying the riders maybe:P)

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Looks like the Crump,Pedersen gamble has paid off.Good luck to them they seem to be doing some right.(paying the riders maybe:P)

The Crump, Pedersen gamble was not one of a few options, fact was there were no other riders available with Plymouth's late acceptance into the 2021 league. 

If & it's a big IF Crump is back next season on his current average watch out for some Plymouth success with Jason having a real influence on team selection & rider development.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

We have/are enjoying a great season in Plymouth the matches have nearly all been last heat deciders, of which in the main have been in our favour ,we are building a good fan base with alot of youngsters attending, it was a gamble but to be honest our hand was forced by the powers to be with the late acceptance into the league and limited time given to build a team to an acceptable strength i,m sure they never expected us to succeed in doing so but here we are and as our promoter said in a recent interview he will do what ever it takes to put Plymouth Speedway on the map, obstacles are still being put in our path to stop us progressing as a club and team but it just makes the promotion and club,fans etc even more determined. Roll on next season. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lewy said:

obstacles are still being put in our path to stop us progressing as a club and team 

It’s not the first time I’ve heard promoters says this. There must be an inner circle within the BSPL. Fingers crossed Plymouth go from strength to strength, I really enjoyed my first visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wrong thread!

Edited by Col

And again.

Edited by Col

9 hours ago, speedybee said:

I certainly thought Morris was the cause of the carnage in heat 10 and I couldn't understand Shanes getting excluded.

With the heat 3 final bend (unless I missed the track staff helping Zane) I have no idea why firstly the red lights came on so quick and then why he was denied a point when he crossed the line on his bike? I was stood at the entry of the third bend and saw it that Shanes was more the cause of the incident than Zane.

No one has mentioned Paco either, harshly excluded for the first bend incident in heat 8 but then certainly got away with a nice bit of 'grass tracking' out of bend two on lap three when chasing Alfie in heat 9. The amount of dust that flew up must have given the ref a clue of where he rode. I have a picture of a lengthy wheel mark which showed he had both wheels across the white line! Then to add salt to the wound he pinched the single point from Alfie on the next lap!

Overall a good meeting and Bomber was good value as he always is. No idea why Paco didn't replace Morris in heat 14 as this probably cost Brummies a better chance. Gazza 'reserve change in blue' May doesn't change either and I'm sure he had an influence on the comeback despite not using a tactical option when available.  was also impressed with Dillon Ruml last night and sounds like he did again this evening at Perry Barr. 

My second and probably final visit to Plymouth this year, its not quite what I was used to watching at Somerset but I will be back with family in tow next season. Well done to the Gladiators promotion on what they have achieved this year.

• Like 2