British Speedway Forum
topaz325

RIP Taffy Owen

20 minutes ago, ch958 said:

great character and bloody good at Div 2 level

Achieved a lot considering he didn't start competing until his late(?) twenties.

• Like 1

Sad to hear. I remember him starting off at Belle Vue, a steady rider, and outstanding with his machine preparation.Ā 

One of my first heros at workington he used to turn up in a merc car with a tv in the back fantastic bike which he used to get off ivan , sad news.

• Like 1

RIP taffyĀ  Ā  Ā can remember I was in his fan club when I was a kid,also can remember the Mercedes with the reg number TAF 5

• Like 2

Used to go into his bike spares shop on Hyde Rd as a kid...

Looking in awe at the complete bikes and bikeĀ parts..

Remember him going over the safety fence once too,Ā bike and all...

Sad news...

R.I.P. Taffy...Ā 

Ā 

Shame.Ā  I also recall trips to Belle Vue, Hyde Road; before the meeting pop across the road to 'Taffys Super Cool Speedway Shop', Track In Spares actually, to drool over all the super cool speedway stuff for sale, chat with riders picking up bits & pieces, chat with Taffy himself, maybe buy the odd sticker, then back across the road for the speedway.Ā  RIP Taffy....

• Like 1

Rode for Sheffield for about 20 meeting in 75 as well

was a regular spectator at Sheffield before CovidĀ 

RIP Taffy

Edited by The Third Man

Very sad to hear of Taffy passing away. He signed for the Comets duringĀ the first Ian Thomas ( with Geoff Brownhutt)Ā regime in 1970. The season was almost over when Taffy signed from Rochdale in September of that year. The fans took to him straight away..it was noticeable how immaculate his bikesĀ were.Ā  Sincere condolences to the family, RIP Taffy Owen.....top Comet.

My late wife and I shared a taxi with 'Taffy' and Peter Kelly many years ago returning from a Crewe Reunion to the Hotel where we were staying. I never laughed so much in all my life. What a character he was. We were both privileged to be in the company of such a friendly and entertaining couple of people.

Fond memories indeed.

My condolences to all 'Taffy's Family and friends.

I, for one, will never forget him.

R.I.P. + 'Taffy'.

• Like 3

owen ellis owen , great times remembered of a great rider . still got his taffy owen fan club picture somewhere . RIPĀ  wee fella .