British Speedway Forum
topaz325

RIP Taffy Owen

Taffy was in the very first race I ever saw back in August 1970 on the opening night of Boston Speedway, and he helped the Barracudas to a win against local rivals Peterborough Panthers.

Taffy's passing means the two riders that represented the 'Cudas in their first ever heat 1 are sadly no longer with us. 

Taffy was guesting for the injured Arthur Price, and he and the late 'Jolly' Jack Bywater raced to a 5-1. On the wishes of Boston co-promoter Cyril Crane, Taffy eased up to allow Jack to pass him and take the chequered flag, as Crane told Taffy that he wanted one of Boston's own riders to win the first ever race at New Hammond Beck Road. 

There was an Aces match at the NSS in August a couple of years ago just about on the 49th anniversary of Boston's opening night, so I spoke with Taffy in the Peter Craven Suite about it. He remembered the night vividly and talked about all the pre-match media attention reporting on the opening night, and mementoes given to the riders of both teams.  

He was quite taken that I remembered he went onto notch up a paid maximum and ended the night as the track record holder.

His contribution to opening night meant he was then always a popular visitor to Boston as an opposition rider.

RIP Taffy and thank you for the memories.  
  • Like 2

Great fellow to chat to and as has been said is kit was always spot on ,missed out a little in starting late in the sport but still a real pro in every respect RIP Taffy . 

Another great character lost to us.

RIP Taffy and thanks for the memories.

Won the first Colts league 2 race at Hyde Road and the first Colt to score a max in the same meeting.RIP Taffy.

• Like 1

Ah Taffy. Taker of my weekly pocket money throughout the 1980s in exchange for finest speedway merchandise. 

Gone, but never forgotten. Condolences to all his loved ones. 

• Like 3

The formation of the second division in 1968 gave Taffy the opportunity to ride in team racing and gave pleasure to a lot of people who might not have seen him otherwise.

• Like 1