British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Birmingham Brummies 29th August 5pm

This coming Sunday afternoon the Pirates take on the Brummies at Wimborne Road.  A return of former Pirate Chris Harris and also a return for James Shane's riding against their former club.

Chris Harris although deemed to be in the twilight of his racing career is a track expert and along with Eric Riss will pose a threat.

At reserve they have Paco Castagna who I believe is the son of former rider Armando.

They also have Valentin Grobauer who has started to find his feet in British Speedway.

Poole will need to be on their guard on Sunday afternoon but I feel quietly confident Poole can pick up three points.

On another note I hope Danny Ford gets the track sorted out after the debacle of the dust kicked up during last two home meetings. The track needs to be back to how it was at the start of the current season.

Thoughts?

Edited by Shaleshifter

Other track issues than just dust in last meeting but I agree they need to be sorted. However day meetings are notorious for being dusty especially when it is a hot day. But we shall see! 

I'm thinking of going to this, but the track issues are putting me off. The track was pretty good when i saw the Kent meeting earlier in the season. Why has it deteriorated so much.

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I'm thinking of going to this, but the track issues are putting me off. The track was pretty good when i saw the Kent meeting earlier in the season. Why has it deteriorated so much.

Maybe the track guy not got enough experience all tracks are different as too the way you prepare them.  It may sound silly what I've just said but believe me it's true. But I don't understand why it's so rough?

Just been underwatered the last 2 meetings for some reason. If the riders didn’t want it watered on Wednesday, they should have been over ruled as the fans come first. It might have made it tricky for the riders but there was enough dirt down to stop it becoming an ice ring. We have the ex Somerset trackman and that didn’t have dust as far as I remember. When the blade came out after heat 8 the track went very smooth but it should have been watered at that time. But it looked like the track staff were under orders not to water when it was the logical thing to do.

This meeting at 5pm on Sunday should bring in a large crowd again with hundreds of thousands of tourists down to the area for the bank holiday weekend. But after a forecast very warm and sunny day, it’s going to be a severe challenge to keep the dust down. Hopefully they will flood the track overnight and continue to water throughout the day. We can hope.

As for the meeting, it should be a lot better than Wednesdays due to a stronger opposition. Chris Harris is bound to get a very warm reception, and he has backup with Riss who can be quick around here. James Shanes knows the track and they have decent reserves. 

But it would still be a major surprise if Birmingham left with a point. 

3 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Maybe the track guy not got enough experience all tracks are different as too the way you prepare them.  It may sound silly what I've just said but believe me it's true. But I don't understand why it's so rough?

Wasn’t rough as such Grippy patches and slick. The blade at heat 8 made it very smooth and even.

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Wasn’t rough as such Grippy patches and slick. The blade at heat 8 made it very smooth and even.

riders were still jumping all over place after heat 8 still i know nothing

Trying to remain positive about this match but cant help thinking we (Brum) will be lucky to hit 38. With a following wind and a rub of the green  I hope we may sneak a point!

Harris should go well he likes this place, he and Shanes can handle a rough track being grass track riders.

Our only hope is Schlien will not be a threat because he is too pre occupied with his testimonial and may wish to avoid injury at this late stage in his career as he is retiring shortly.

Edited by Historian

23 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just been underwatered the last 2 meetings for some reason. If the riders didn’t want it watered on Wednesday, they should have been over ruled as the fans come first. It might have made it tricky for the riders but there was enough dirt down to stop it becoming an ice ring. We have the ex Somerset trackman and that didn’t have dust as far as I remember. When the blade came out after heat 8 the track went very smooth but it should have been watered at that time. But it looked like the track staff were under orders not to water when it was the logical thing to do.

This meeting at 5pm on Sunday should bring in a large crowd again with hundreds of thousands of tourists down to the area for the bank holiday weekend. But after a forecast very warm and sunny day, it’s going to be a severe challenge to keep the dust down. Hopefully they will flood the track overnight and continue to water throughout the day. We can hope.

As for the meeting, it should be a lot better than Wednesdays due to a stronger opposition. Chris Harris is bound to get a very warm reception, and he has backup with Riss who can be quick around here. James Shanes knows the track and they have decent reserves. 

But it would still be a major surprise if Birmingham left with a point. 

Steve your saying it's very smooth! Think you need to ask your rider's because they are all saying the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Shaleshifter said:

On another note I hope Danny Ford gets the track sorted out after the debacle of the dust kicked up during last two home meetings. The track needs to be back to how it was at the start of the current season.

Therein lies the problem. Of course it was good at the start of the season. It had laid dormant for best part of 18 months, so had plenty of time to level itself out. Since then, it has steadily got worse. Seems to be very rutted. The extra track work after Ht8 did help a little, but riders were still being thrown in all directions.

Have we had any new shale? It seems like its still just fine dust being thrown up. Is there anything that helps it bind properly? I am no track expert, but the last few weeks have not been good. Its been said already, there were no discussions regarding watering on Wednesday. (from Clerk of the Course).

We have the team to do the business. Im in no doubt about that. All they need is a decent canvas to work on. Hard.Fast and above all consistent.

I heard on Wednesday that the club were having difficulty in finding any suitable fresh shale. If this is the case, what about the shale at Somerset? Is that already sold and gone? 

First visit to Poole for me, only my third meeting of the season, after poor viewing at Peterborough whilst there were still restrictions, and a dust bowl at Perry Barr in June, can't say i'm particularly enthused following the reports of Poole's track conditions on Wednesday, but probably the last time I'll see the Brummies assuming the inevitable happens over the winter, so hopefully we can put up some sort of resistance and keep it within 10 to make it somewhat enjoyable.

• Like 1

I understand after the dust problems in the first 4 heats the previous week due to not getting enough water into the track, the track guys went overboard with watering during the day on Wednesday. So much so that the riders saw how uneven and 'claggy' (technical term) the track was on their track walk.

The issue was raised by both team captains particularly going into turn 1 and turn 3 and these were clearly inspected by the Referee before the meeting began and as some have said the riders asked for no watering once the meeting had started.

I know the club are trying to get some 'new' shale but this is proving a challenge in the short term and with the weather forecast for Sunday being hot and sunny plus with an earlier 5pm start, I'm not sure how the track will be?

Incidentally is James Shanes riding as he was given time off due to the imminent birth of his child?

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I understand after the dust problems in the first 4 heats the previous week due to not getting enough water into the track, the track guys went overboard with watering during the day on Wednesday. So much so that the riders saw how uneven and 'claggy' (technical term) the track was on their track walk.

The issue was raised by both team captains particularly going into turn 1 and turn 3 and these were clearly inspected by the Referee before the meeting began and as some have said the riders asked for no watering once the meeting had started.

I know the club are trying to get some 'new' shale but this is proving a challenge in the short term and with the weather forecast for Sunday being hot and sunny plus with an earlier 5pm start, I'm not sure how the track will be?

Incidentally is James Shanes riding as he was given time off due to the imminent birth of his child?

Shanes is in the World longtrack 2nd round in Rzeszow Poland on Saturday afternoon(Harris as well) so presumably yes 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

riders were still jumping all over place after heat 8 still i know nothing

I was sat near the first bend and after the break it did look a lot better (not sure if it could have got worse, but blade improved it to an extent). However bends 3 and 4 caught Basso and Hume out later in the meeting.

Edited by lisa-colette