Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Birmingham Brummies 29th August 5pm

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The starting gate looking like a potato field is the norm. It is ripped up on purpose.

what needs to happen with the stadium is the lease is revoked from the current landlords. They are not fulfilling their obligations of providing a sports facility for the people of Poole. No dogs, no football, no five a side pitches, no nothing. They make their money charging nurses to park there for the hospital. Take the lease from them and give it to Matt Ford and a consortium to bring sport to the stadium. Matt has said previously he knows he can get a group of businessmen together to do this.

Gaming International or whatever their current name is, are a failed business. Wherever they have been, trouble follows. Where is the new Swindon stadium? Where is the new Torquay Utd stadium? Thank the Lord they don’t own Poole Stadium.Matt said the council is 100% on his side.

Thats nice :t:

They dig the start up to get the spuds out ready for my cheese & beans :rofl:

Yum yum in me tum tum :party:

Edited by PirateShip

Good to see Danny King registering his 15 point maximum - all achieved after the 'hole' was made raceable.  Good work!!

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The starting gate looking like a potato field is the norm. It is ripped up on purpose.

what needs to happen with the stadium is the lease is revoked from the current landlords. They are not fulfilling their obligations of providing a sports facility for the people of Poole. No dogs, no football, no five a side pitches, no nothing. They make their money charging nurses to park there for the hospital. Take the lease from them and give it to Matt Ford and a consortium to bring sport to the stadium. Matt has said previously he knows he can get a group of businessmen together to do this.

Gaming International or whatever their current name is, are a failed business. Wherever they have been, trouble follows. Where is the new Swindon stadium? Where is the new Torquay Utd stadium? Thank the Lord they don’t own Poole Stadium.Matt said the council is 100% on his side.

Ah right fair enough. Yes I know the starts are ripped up for grip but just looked particularly heavy to me,  but as I say it's been a long time away for me and for some reason I've always watched my speedway from the back straight before so not had such a close view of the start line. The atmosphere used to be so much better on the old terracing where that awful glass stand is now. I know it was built for the dogs but who wants to watch speedway from indoors?

I agree100% with everything else you say regarding the landlords. I just wonder though how commited BCP council really are to maintaining this prime location as a sporting facility. The Speedway alone isn't enough to justify it and there's no shortage of all weather 5 aside pitches etc in the area, so with Poole Towns complicated position making a return to the stadium unlikely I don't know what else would work?

I know there are covenants supposedly in place protecting it's use as sporting facility but the ones protecting the land gifted to Bournemouth football club by the Cooper Dean estate soon disappeared when they wanted to sell it to build houses on it, before then selling the stadium to property investors.

On 8/30/2021 at 7:07 PM, AFCB Wildcat said:

Ah right fair enough. Yes I know the starts are ripped up for grip but just looked particularly heavy to me,  but as I say it's been a long time away for me and for some reason I've always watched my speedway from the back straight before so not had such a close view of the start line. The atmosphere used to be so much better on the old terracing where that awful glass stand is now. I know it was built for the dogs but who wants to watch speedway from indoors?

I agree100% with everything else you say regarding the landlords. I just wonder though how commited BCP council really are to maintaining this prime location as a sporting facility. The Speedway alone isn't enough to justify it and there's no shortage of all weather 5 aside pitches etc in the area, so with Poole Towns complicated position making a return to the stadium unlikely I don't know what else would work?

I know there are covenants supposedly in place protecting it's use as sporting facility but the ones protecting the land gifted to Bournemouth football club by the Cooper Dean estate soon disappeared when they wanted to sell it to build houses on it, before then selling the stadium to property investors.

Anyone that has Stadia Uk/ Gaming International or whatever they call themselves these days as Landlords needs to worry, they really are developers using primarily Greyhound Stadia as a front, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, Swindon and Poole with Torquay Utd FC recently added to there fast reducing portfolio, It really would be in the best interests of Poole residents if the Lease were to be taken over by the Speedway that would at least ensure continuity for the foreseeable. I note the comments about covenants they are useful in some cases that is until Local Councils need to raise money then they conveniently get overturned, by the way whats the situation with Bournemouth Cricket Ground ? when i lived there there was chatter about this being redeveloped, i understood there was a covenant in place there to. Speedway is in a perilous state in the UK and can ill afford to lose anymore Tracks as its looking like there will be at least three Teams that will struggle to come to the tapes in 2022, the powers that be really need to be realistic and face up to the economic facts and stop paying out what they dont have coming in, semi professional is the way to go and if riders dont like it then they know what to do, Yes there will always be certain Teams that pay over the odds but its there choice to run an unsustainable business model, probably 2 Leagues next season Premier and NDL but maybe Speedway needs to step back before it can rebuild again but one thing is for sure it cant continue as it is.

Edited by heathen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Anyone that has Stadia Uk/ Gaming International or whatever they call themselves these days needs to worry, they really are developers using primarily Greyhound Stadia as a front, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, Swindon and Poole with Torquay Utd FC recently added to there fast reducing portfolio, It really would be in the best interests of Poole residents if the Lease were to be taken over by the Speedway that would at least insure continuity for the foreseeable. I note the comments about covenants they are useful in some cases that is until Local Councils need to raise money then they conveniently get overturned, by the way whats the situation with Bournemouth Cricket Ground ? when i lived there there was chatter about this being redeveloped, i understood there was a covenant in place there to. Speedway is in a perilous state in the UK and can ill afford to lose anymore Tracks as its looking like there will be at least three Teams that will struggle to come to the tapes in 2022, the powers that be really need to be realistic and face up to the economic facts and stop paying out what they dont have coming in, semi professional is the way to go and if riders dont like it then they know what to do, Yes there will always be certain Teams that pay over the odds but its there choice to run an unsustainable business model, probably 2 Leagues next season Premier and NDL but maybe Speedway needs to step back before it can rebuild again but one thing is for sure it cant continue as it is.

Good sensible post mate. I would definately say it will be two leagues next season. Amalgmation of Prem /Champ and NDL. Although Gaming International might prove very stubborn

Edited by Starman2006

On 8/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, lisa-colette said:

Are you on twitter? A Poole fan has put on there what Matt said. First talked about the track, then about Dan doing the day to day running of the club and that he is doing really well but Matt still does all the riders contracts. Also about wanting to keep Benjamin Basso for next year and he thinks in 18 months time he will be a 'superstar' but he also predicted Brady would be a GP winner, so we will see! Also said about landlords and something about possible legal action and council on our side(I think, not 100% on that as I missed a bit as I was being asked what the score was at the time) and how he will need everyone's support in next few weeks/months and not to panic. Also thanked the fans for all their support. 

Thanks for letting us know :t: Sounds promising and all under control... More than I can say about my club... :sad:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

Thanks for letting us know :t: Sounds promising and all under control... More than I can say about my club... :sad:

You're welcome. I only really half listen to interviews during the meeting. But when Matt Ford starts talking you definitely listen!:) Most of the crowd do, almost like you can hear a pin drop (unless you are near a drunk lady! ;))

Will also keep my fingers crossed for Newcastle and Birmingham. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Anyone that has Stadia Uk/ Gaming International or whatever they call themselves these days needs to worry, they really are developers using primarily Greyhound Stadia as a front, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, Swindon and Poole with Torquay Utd FC recently added to there fast reducing portfolio, It really would be in the best interests of Poole residents if the Lease were to be taken over by the Speedway that would at least insure continuity for the foreseeable. I note the comments about covenants they are useful in some cases that is until Local Councils need to raise money then they conveniently get overturned, by the way whats the situation with Bournemouth Cricket Ground ? when i lived there there was chatter about this being redeveloped, i understood there was a covenant in place there to. Speedway is in a perilous state in the UK and can ill afford to lose anymore Tracks as its looking like there will be at least three Teams that will struggle to come to the tapes in 2022, the powers that be really need to be realistic and face up to the economic facts and stop paying out what they dont have coming in, semi professional is the way to go and if riders dont like it then they know what to do, Yes there will always be certain Teams that pay over the odds but its there choice to run an unsustainable business model, probably 2 Leagues next season Premier and NDL but maybe Speedway needs to step back before it can rebuild again but one thing is for sure it cant continue as it is.

I believe Dean Park is being used by Bournemouth University and a couple of local teams too at the moment but as you say, due to its location it's a developers dream. 

I'm not a cricket fan but it's quite close to me and back in the day before all day opening, when it hosted county cricket it was the 'go to' place when my local pub called time in the afternoon because the beer tent was open!

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

You're welcome. I only really half listen to interviews during the meeting. But when Matt Ford starts talking you definitely listen!:) Most of the crowd do, almost like you can hear a pin drop (unless you are near a drunk lady! ;))

Will also keep my fingers crossed for Newcastle and Birmingham. 

Matt's comments referred to the landlords (GI) wanting to impose a dramatic increase in rent, without negotiation, despite only parts of the stadium being available/open and other parts eg changing rooms, in a state of disrepair - this being despite the accepted and agreed 3% annual increase since Matt took over in 1999. 

The Council Leader said publicly in 2 video Q&As a few weeks ago that they would support the retention of speedway in Poole and also assist/intervene if the leaseholders were making things difficult!!

Those videos and other evidence including photos will I'm sure be in the hands of Poole Speedway's solicitors - who are also a club sponsor and partner in Matt's French Chateau business - to bring pressure where its needed!!

Meanwhile, the track is receiving some serious work this week with some clay-based material secured from Edinburgh and being transported down today in time for Friday's meeting, along with some new track equipment - a vibrating road roller no less!!!.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

Excellent news. It looks like the shale has been lacking a decent clay percentage.

On another note, when up in Berwick recently, I was take to where the old Berrington Louth speedway track was located. It was in the middle of nowhere on a single track road, then up a farmers track. Impossible to believe that such a remote spot had a top flight speedway team. Nothing now remains and it’s just farmers fields. Except for a great big pile of shale. Don’t know if the shale would be any good for anything after 26 years sitting there, but there was lots of it!

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Excellent news. It looks like the shale has been lacking a decent clay percentage.

On another note, when up in Berwick recently, I was take to where the old Berrington Louth speedway track was located. It was in the middle of nowhere on a single track road, then up a farmers track. Impossible to believe that such a remote spot had a top flight speedway team. Nothing now remains and it’s just farmers fields. Except for a great big pile of shale. Don’t know if the shale would be any good for anything after 26 years sitting there, but there was lots of it!

I went there four times. It was an unbelievable location for a speedway stadium. The track was small with a big home advantage.

Edited by cityrebel
Mistake in post

50 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went there four times. It was an unbelievable location for a speedway stadium. The track was small with a big home advantage.

The track was seemingly based on Mildenhall size,not sure ther was big Home advantage,we had some pretty decent Teams in were time there.Good very good racing IMO.I do feel it was an error not to make the track a little bigger considering the land available 10 metres on the straight length would have made a big difference.IMO.Great Days!!

Edited by Fromafar

On 8/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, Diamonds85 said:

Shame as I was really looking forward to my trip down, decided to get this meeting in on the way down to Plymouth to watch the Diamonds on Tuesday, make a weekend of it... I expected a lot more from the supposed biggest club in the country, but I guess every club has their bad days... I've heard a lot about the track at Poole but was astonished about how bad it looked when I first came in... Looks like something desperately needs done... Would have been interesting to hear what Matt Ford was saying about the future of the club but the loud mouthed drunk woman in front of me clearly doesn't like him and shouted over everything he said... Hope the club survives

Where were you in the stadium??? 

Edited by Piratepride87

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 7:52 PM, heathen52 said:

Anyone that has Stadia Uk/ Gaming International or whatever they call themselves these days as Landlords needs to worry, they really are developers using primarily Greyhound Stadia as a front, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Reading, Swindon and Poole with Torquay Utd FC recently added to there fast reducing portfolio, It really would be in the best interests of Poole residents if the Lease were to be taken over by the Speedway that would at least ensure continuity for the foreseeable. I note the comments about covenants they are useful in some cases that is until Local Councils need to raise money then they conveniently get overturned, by the way whats the situation with Bournemouth Cricket Ground ? when i lived there there was chatter about this being redeveloped, i understood there was a covenant in place there to. Speedway is in a perilous state in the UK and can ill afford to lose anymore Tracks as its looking like there will be at least three Teams that will struggle to come to the tapes in 2022, the powers that be really need to be realistic and face up to the economic facts and stop paying out what they dont have coming in, semi professional is the way to go and if riders dont like it then they know what to do, Yes there will always be certain Teams that pay over the odds but its there choice to run an unsustainable business model, probably 2 Leagues next season Premier and NDL but maybe Speedway needs to step back before it can rebuild again but one thing is for sure it cant continue as it is.

In Manchester, they are demolishing the old Kirkmanshulme Road track, not sure who owns it, probably council, (I think speedway, dogs & stock cars used it) & that had a covenant on it but it has not taken long to change its use for housing & across the road, the old Showcase Cinema car park has been demolished( but for what use, I do not know).