British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Birmingham Brummies 29th August 5pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed the track is back to being okay, though day meetings on warm days are hard to keep the dust down! Though maybe they should concentrate more on getting it back smooth for Sunday. 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:22 AM, BobC said:

Therein lies the problem. Of course it was good at the start of the season. It had laid dormant for best part of 18 months, so had plenty of time to level itself out. Since then, it has steadily got worse. Seems to be very rutted. The extra track work after Ht8 did help a little, but riders were still being thrown in all directions.

Have we had any new shale? It seems like its still just fine dust being thrown up. Is there anything that helps it bind properly? I am no track expert, but the last few weeks have not been good. Its been said already, there were no discussions regarding watering on Wednesday. (from Clerk of the Course).

We have the team to do the business. Im in no doubt about that. All they need is a decent canvas to work on. Hard.Fast and above all consistent.

A few tracks seem to be suffering from a track that seems to have turned to dust /powder and doesn't react well to watering. I know Birmingham and Eastbourne had the same problem and shale does seem to be hard to find. I'm surprised that the shale at Somerset, Swindon or even Cardiff hasn't been investigated as a short term solution tbh 

Hopefully the track will be okay.

I'm really looking forward to this as it's my first time seeing the Pirates at home for over 15 years. I've only been able to watch league speedway at Lakeside & Eastbourne since the demise of Weymouth as they were weekend tracks but now that unfortunately they are no longer options I hope it's a bumper crowd & that Poole run some more weekend fixtures in future.

16 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I'm really looking forward to this as it's my first time seeing the Pirates at home for over 15 years. I've only been able to watch league speedway at Lakeside & Eastbourne since the demise of Weymouth as they were weekend tracks but now that unfortunately they are no longer options I hope it's a bumper crowd & that Poole run some more weekend fixtures in future.

You prob already seen but Poole are at home next Friday evening (3rd Sept) vs Glasgow. But I think that is it for weekend fixtures unless a load get rained off and we have to use the weekend to catch up! 

9 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

You prob already seen but Poole are at home next Friday evening (3rd Sept) vs Glasgow. But I think that is it for weekend fixtures unless a load get rained off and we have to use the weekend to catch up! 

No I didn't know that so 2 in a week after a long absence, thank you :)

• Like 1

A nice warm and sunny day here with temperatures up to 22 degrees. Should be a good crowd attending this afternoon. Hopefully the track staff are already at work flooding the track with water. Going to be one hell of a job to keep the dust down during the meeting. Watering and grading every two heats might be a solution though doubt that will happen as it will mean a 3 hour meeting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A nice warm and sunny day here with temperatures up to 22 degrees. Should be a good crowd attending this afternoon. Hopefully the track staff are already at work flooding the track with water. Going to be one hell of a job to keep the dust down during the meeting. Watering and grading every two heats might be a solution though doubt that will happen as it will mean a 3 hour meeting.

Unfortunately it is not just a case of watering.

For some reason lots of late watering seems to seal track and not penetrate.

They've probably been watering since Friday so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Can only see a comfortable win the Pirates. Perry Barr meeting will be much closer but I think this will be 58-32

Especially if the track is as bad as they say... 

I wouldn't travel a 320 mile round trip to watch shi#e racing

Edited by GiveusaB

15 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Enjoy your visit to the Pirate Ship :t:

18 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Especially if the track is as bad as they say... 

I wouldn't travel a 320 mile round trip to watch shi#e racing

Well...I fail to see how it could be worse than the last meeting so should be an improvement. Though it will be hard to stop it getting dusty in a day meeting though you never know. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get there.

3 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Well...I fail to see how it could be worse than the last meeting so should be an improvement. Though it will be hard to stop it getting dusty in a day meeting though you never know. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get there.

Absolute rubbish, there has been endless world finals, British finals, grasstrack meetings all run in the afternoon with no dust, stop making excuses, Poole should prepare a decent racetrack....fact!

Ride the Waves of Wimborne Road :party:

The Pirates are Men of War with all 7 canons firing! :t:

You know somet I don't half fancy a hot dog :rofl:

Was gonna go today but decided to stay home and Chuck some dust in my eyes every 20 seconds, same as watching a meeting at dustborne road glugglug. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Absolute rubbish, there has been endless world finals, British finals, grasstrack meetings all run in the afternoon with no dust, stop making excuses, Poole should prepare a decent racetrack....fact!

It is harder to keep the dust down in a day meeting than evening! I didn't say it wasn't possible just harder to achieve. But 5pm is getting towards the evening so hopefully it will be fine.