British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Birmingham Brummies 29th August 5pm

Last week a dust bowl….this week over 2 hours to run 10 heats….. next we will be hearing how crowds have dropped….. promoters need to take a long hard look at themselves before blaming people for not turning up to watch. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Col said:

Thought Brummies had granted James Shanes paternity leave on Wednesday when his child was born, assumed it was 2 weeks or R/R so why is he riding today?

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

He lives 20 mins from the track.  

And those nappies have got to be paid for :D

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Constant maintanance of the hole between heats. Danny Ford said they had been working on the track since EWednesday but this hole only appeared after heat 2. 
The track is being bladed before heat 11. 

Good to read that although a hole has appeared on bend 4 management are looking into it :party:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Trackrat said:

Overwatered?? dry??? which one is it??

The tide was probably in at the start =Wet   Tide went out = Dry Simples:P

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

He lives 20 mins from the track.  

Seem to recall him moving nearer to his fiancé's parents - but can't recall where that was.

Just got in and jumped into the shower for the second time today. 

Well what can you say? Quite a bit actually. I got into the stadium an hour before tapes up and the track looked like a battlefield. A tractor was working on bends three and 4 and you could see it had taken a big watering. But with 25 mins to tapes up the Birmingham team we’re not happy with the track going into bend 3 and the tractor spent 15 minutes sorting it out, removing dirt. The track looked rough and patchy but as heat one took place it wasn’t bad as it looked. Heat 2 was no issue either but heat 3 was a different story. A hole appeared, invisible to the fans in the grandstand but James Shanes went through it and his wheel buckled under him throwing him almost over the handle bars before he landed in a heap on the 4th bend. 

The 2 minutes for the rerun were cancelled and riders, management and track staff went and had a look at the issue. The interval was called at this stage. But ten minutes later everyone was still standing looking at this hole, what was described as the size of a kitchen table. Lots of kicking at shale and shaking of heads. I thought this has abandonment written all over it. The trackman then drove off to the tractor pits and changed to the blade. He came out and took off a huge pile of dirt in a trench down to the base. The track staff and Danny King then packed and smoothed out the hole. Again everyone stood about gawping but Rory Schlein went and got his bike, everyone ran off to the safety of the infield and he blasted around 3 laps with no issues. Riders as we know have a tendency to shake their heads, come out of racing mode and want to clear off home. The ref said all good and on with the meeting. Of course all this delay meant the track had dried out so we got several heats in dusty conditions before another short break when the bowser came out. Throughout the meeting the area of concern was dealt with between each heat and the meeting concluded without further issues.

We have to thank the riders for not refusing to ride as that would have been catastrophic.

As for the meeting, a one sided affair.
For Poole Danny King was untouchable. Superb 15 point max. Backed up by Cook, Worrall and Schlein. Basso was unluckily not to score paid 3 in heat one but his bike played up when we’ll clear in second. 

For Brum, the standout rider for me was Jack Thomas, who was criminally under used. 9 from 5. Both Morris and Cartagena had 4 rides when they deserved 3. 

Not a great meeting and not a great advert for the sport. After the meeting Danny Ford said they would be working in the track before the Glasgow meeting on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hate to say this I'm  glad we never went do other things on a sunday anyway 

Edited by ray c

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Well what can you say? Quite a bit actually. I got into the stadium an hour before tapes up and the track looked like a battlefield. A tractor was working on bends three and 4 and you could see it had taken a big watering. But with 25 mins to tapes up the Birmingham team we’re not happy with the track going into bend 3 and the tractor spent 15 minutes sorting it out, removing dirt. The track looked rough and patchy but as heat one took place it wasn’t bad as it looked. Heat 2 was no issue either but heat 3 was a different story. A hole appeared, invisible to the fans in the grandstand but James Shanes went through it and his wheel buckled under him throwing him almost over the handle bars before he landed in a heap on the 4th bend. 

The 2 minutes for the rerun were cancelled and riders, management and track staff went and had a look at the issue. The interval was called at this stage. But ten minutes later everyone was still standing looking at this hole, what was described as the size of a kitchen table. Lots of kicking at shale and shaking of heads. I thought this has abandonment written all over it. The trackman then drove off to the tractor pits and changed to the blade. He came out and took off a huge pile of dirt in a trench down to the base. The track staff and Danny King then packed and smoothed out the hole. Again everyone stood about gawping but Rory Schlein went and got his bike, everyone ran off to the safety of the infield and he blasted around 3 laps with no issues. Riders as we know have a tendency to shake their heads, come out of racing mode and want to clear off home. The ref said all good and on with the meeting. Of course all this delay meant the track had dried out so we got several heats in dusty conditions before another short break when the bowser came out. Throughout the meeting the area of concern was dealt with between each heat and the meeting concluded without further issues.

We have to thank the riders for not refusing to ride as that would have been catastrophic.

For Poole Danny King was untouchable. Superb 15 point max. Backed up by Cook, Worrall and Schlein. Basso was unluckily not to score paid 3 in heat one but his bike played up when we’ll clear in second. 

For Brum, the standout rider for me was Jack Thomas, who was criminally under used. 9 from 5. Both Morris and Cartagena had 4 rides when they deserved 3. 

Not a great meeting and not a great advert for the sport. After the meeting Danny Ford said they would be working in the track before the Glasgow meeting on Friday.

Keep paying your money ginge, nothing will get done, closed at end of season.

17 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That's a pretty fair summing up of the meeting.
The hole was certainly something which they'd never seen before and thankfully after it was bladed the track seemed fairly smooth though 3 & 4. Worrall even said afterwards that the track much improved as the meeting went on.

It was a bloody annoying start to the meeting and something they definitely need to sort out before Friday.

I was tempted to go today, but with Brum due at Kent tomorrow i gave it a miss. The ongoing track issues at Poole definitely influenced my decision.

28 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Brummies team manager always seems reluctant to make changes, at Perry Barr even when Castagna is having a good night he rarely gets more than one extra ride. Grobaur & Thomas (and less often but Morris) often have poor nights when they could be replaced. That said Brummies don't exactly have allot to ride for, no chance of making the playoffs.

Seems a bit harsh to exclude Shanes in heat 3 when clearly it was a problem with the track that caused him to fall.

Edited by woofers

I'm guessing the racing at Poole isn't that bad every week, judging by the size of the crowd? And I don't mean the problems with the 3d and 4th bend which were obviously going to arise looking at the state of it before the meeting even started... Wasn't the most entertaining meeting ever...

4 minutes ago, Diamonds85 said:

I'm guessing the racing at Poole isn't that bad every week, judging by the size of the crowd? And I don't mean the problems with the 3d and 4th bend which were obviously going to arise looking at the state of it before the meeting even started... Wasn't the most entertaining meeting ever...

The racing at Poole is usually very good with lots of passing. This year it’s been very good up to the last three meetings where the track has been underwatered and today when this hole appeared.  

• Like 1