British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Birmingham Brummies 29th August 5pm

1 minute ago, Trackrat said:

Oh god, troll clique ganging up.

Must be your bed time 

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Are you going to put in an offer? Do you know of anyone willing to put in an offer? Do you think there’s anyone at this current time willing to buy a speedway club? Even a successful one? 

do you honestly think matt ford is doing a good job running his speedway team  then at the moment 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Must be your bed time 

Boring man, that sayings older than father time zzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 minute ago, ray c said:

do you honestly think matt ford is doing a good job running his speedway team  then at the moment 

It is still running, maybe you should just be grateful for that!

57 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I disagree, Birmingham can make the play-offs if they can pick up some away points!

Which they haven't done since Berwick, the first away match of the year!  Plus cancelling all the fixtures early doors means they can't fit enough meetings in before the cut off.

47 minutes ago, ray c said:

I suspect the 10 teams below Poole in the league “honestly think” he’s doing a great job running his team. :cheers:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ray c said:

Can’t deny his financial commitment. I’d have him at Brum if the Current promotion were to jump ship that’s for sure. Poole’s problems are probably general speedwayGB problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Which they haven't done since Berwick, the first away match of the year!  Plus cancelling all the fixtures early doors means they can't fit enough meetings in before the cut off.

I guess I hadn't thought about teams not completing their matches before the cut off date!

Nothing more, nothing less, PIRATES ARE THE BEST! :party:

Suggs says, "I say old chap that's one step beyond, excellent!" 

Edited by PirateShip

11 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

That's funny,, I'm sure that was him on the centre green doing an interview 

I made my comment about Matt Ford almost 2hrs before he put in an appearance on the centre green. You know, while we had absolutely nothing going on and long before we had any announcement about the problems. Even though it was clear to us all what was wrong. Very poor communication at the time.

Matt Ford went on to say about 'having track issues for the last 10 years'. Talk about stating the obvious. Sorry, but thats not good enough, is it? 

Steve has covered everything that needed to be said.

I still feel embarrassed the morning after. Track like a battlefield before Ht1, dusty after the repair too, but not as bad Wednesday. It never really got a lot better. 

The fans deserve better. More importantly, the riders deserve better.

Edited by BobC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobC said:

I made my comment about Matt Ford almost 2hrs before he put in an appearance on the centre green. You know, while we had absolutely nothing going on and long before we had any announcement about the problems. Even though it was clear to us all what was wrong. Very poor communication at the time.

Matt Ford went on to say about 'having track issues for the last 10 years'. Talk about stating the obvious. Sorry, but thats not good enough, is it? 

Steve has covered everything that needed to be said.

I still feel embarrassed the morning after. Track like a battlefield before Ht1, dusty after the repair too, but not as bad Wednesday. It never really got a lot better. 

The fans deserve better. More importantly, the riders deserve better.

I think one of the major factors in track conditions is the demands on the track man from riders. If the promotion were strong enough to tell the riders to leave the man alone to do his job then maybe we might get a smooth consistent surface.

It's all well & good for the top riders King & Schlein to make their demands but the lesser riders like Hume & Nielsen have to ride the same track. As we pay through the gate we expect the heat leaders to return double digits on any track but its the second strings & reserves that win the meeting with a hard earned 7/8 point haul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technik said:

I think one of the major factors in track conditions is the demands on the track man from riders. If the promotion were strong enough to tell the riders to leave the man alone to do his job then maybe we might get a smooth consistent surface.

It's all well & good for the top riders King & Schlein to make their demands but the lesser riders like Hume & Nielsen have to ride the same track. As we pay through the gate we expect the heat leaders to return double digits on any track but its the second strings & reserves that win the meeting with a hard earned 7/8 point haul

Riders normally only moan when the track not right like yesterday! The track man if he had done is job right in the first place then no one will have been moaning.  Saying that even if a track is good it's hard to please 7 Riders.

As I've said, this was my first meeting at Wimborne road for a very long time so I didn't know what to expect although I'd read about the ongoing track problems on the forum.

When we arrived at about 4:15 the starting gate looked like a potato field and the bends looked a bit patchy to me. I'm no expert on track prep & as I said, a bit out of touch, but after reading on here about problems with lack of shale on the track and the lack of availability of fresh material, I was surprised to see the tractor removing material from the area where the hole appeared and dumping it on the infield before the start of the meeting.

To be fair, after the track work following the incident, there didn't seem to be any more issues. The sun was shining & there was a stiff drying breeze so inevitably it was going to get dusty but it wasn't that bad. I've seen much worse.

The attendance I thought was a bit disappointing and the racing wasn't that exciting unfortunately but I'll give it another go on Friday weather permitting.

I found Matt's interview a little concerning. It kinda reiterated my views on the situation. The Stadium in such a prime town centre location cannot be sustained by Speedway alone and the situation with the landlords mean some worrying times ahead I think.

It's such a shame because it's location is its biggest asset in my opinion. We had a nice afternoon in town having a few drinks & a bite to eat before the short walk to the stadium. I  really hope for a positive outcome but I view the current situation as being very concerning. Especially with the problems with speedway as a whole at the moment.

39 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

As I've said, this was my first meeting at Wimborne road for a very long time so I didn't know what to expect although I'd read about the ongoing track problems on the forum.

When we arrived at about 4:15 the starting gate looked like a potato field and the bends looked a bit patchy to me. I'm no expert on track prep & as I said, a bit out of touch, but after reading on here about problems with lack of shale on the track and the lack of availability of fresh material, I was surprised to see the tractor removing material from the area where the hole appeared and dumping it on the infield before the start of the meeting.

To be fair, after the track work following the incident, there didn't seem to be any more issues. The sun was shining & there was a stiff drying breeze so inevitably it was going to get dusty but it wasn't that bad. I've seen much worse.

The attendance I thought was a bit disappointing and the racing wasn't that exciting unfortunately but I'll give it another go on Friday weather permitting.

I found Matt's interview a little concerning. It kinda reiterated my views on the situation. The Stadium in such a prime town centre location cannot be sustained by Speedway alone and the situation with the landlords mean some worrying times ahead I think.

It's such a shame because it's location is its biggest asset in my opinion. We had a nice afternoon in town having a few drinks & a bite to eat before the short walk to the stadium. I  really hope for a positive outcome but I view the current situation as being very concerning. Especially with the problems with speedway as a whole at the moment.

The starting gate looking like a potato field is the norm. It is ripped up on purpose.

what needs to happen with the stadium is the lease is revoked from the current landlords. They are not fulfilling their obligations of providing a sports facility for the people of Poole. No dogs, no football, no five a side pitches, no nothing. They make their money charging nurses to park there for the hospital. Take the lease from them and give it to Matt Ford and a consortium to bring sport to the stadium. Matt has said previously he knows he can get a group of businessmen together to do this.

Gaming International or whatever their current name is, are a failed business. Wherever they have been, trouble follows. Where is the new Swindon stadium? Where is the new Torquay Utd stadium? Thank the Lord they don’t own Poole Stadium.Matt said the council is 100% on his side.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It was a bigger attendance for the meeting vs Newcastle last Weds night. Now whether fans were put off by the track situation or not keen on Poole riding on an off night (or day), i'm not sure. Be interesting to see what it is like on Friday vs Glasgow.