British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

This is correct. Only heard one Poole rider saying he didn't want to ride and was moaning before the track walk... All the others were happy with regular grading which would have happened if it wasn't for the delay early on. The track needed to be attacked and the likes of King, Riss, Harris and others did this and had some good close racing. The track was well watered to combat the dust problem but with lots of cloud cover it never really dried to produce the excellent surface of recent weeks. 

Poole are safely in the play offs and were never going to put their necks on the line with bigger meetings coming up. I thought some races were good, some not so good, a typical speedway meeting that you find at every track up and down the country, not just Birmingham! 

It was more than 1 rider who was not happy with the track. And Birmingham riders too, had the same thinking.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what's it to be folks? Dusty... no

Watered well in advance.....its to wet !!

Somewhere in between,  the sweet spot, hard to find.      It's hard trying to please all of the people all of the time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Petecc said:

Somewhere in between,  the sweet spot, hard to find.      It's hard trying to please all of the people all of the time. 

You only have to please 1 person when Poole are in town... shouldn't be a problem next season though... unless they sign Batch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Well all I can go on is what is reported in the media! 

The Poole Echo not biased at all then

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

You only have to please 1 person when Poole are in town... shouldn't be a problem next season though... unless they sign Batch!

Hopefully we'll have Ellis as per the original plan!!

57 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

It was more than 1 rider who was not happy with the track. And Birmingham riders too, had the same thinking.  

Yes but I only heard 1 Poole rider saying that he wasn't going to ride. The rest were unhappy but suggested that after a bit of grading it would be alright. Harris and Thomas were 2 that were happy to just crack on at the time 

1 hour ago, Petecc said:

Well if it's not dusty next week vs Plymouth they will have done well as it's going to be 28 degrees! :o

56 minutes ago, sancho said:

The Poole Echo not biased at all then

Bournemouth Echo....

But it was quotes from Dan Ford and I assume he got the info off the riders..?

• Like 1

I think this meeting just reinforces my view that Rider Replacement should not be allowed if there is not a number 8 at the track ready to race if required.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I think this meeting just reinforces my view that Rider Replacement should not be allowed if there is not a number 8 at the track ready to race if required.

fair comment.

2 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

YES! A real bug bear of mine. I know they could have only taken a r/r ride, but what if a rider got exc or packed up during the race.

I enjoyed the meeting, it was good to get the win in the bag. It was also an immense pleasure seeing a rider of Danny King's quality gracing the Perry Barr circuit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Harris and Thomas were 2 that were happy to just crack on at the time 

Thomas was very tentative in heat 2.

4 minutes ago, Col said:

Thomas was very tentative in heat 2.

I think you were right with your earlier comment. It's something I've never noticed before, but it took several heats for the riders to get comfortable after the horrific heat one smash. Also we were fed up in the crowd after standing around for an hour.

21 minutes ago, Deano said:

I think you were right with your earlier comment. It's something I've never noticed before, but it took several heats for the riders to get comfortable after the horrific heat one smash. Also we were fed up in the crowd after standing around for an hour.

Getting fed up in the crowd after standing for an hour was unavoidable after the heat 1 crash. I have to admit it didn't seem like an hour for me but, I was keeping myself busy.