British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

47 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Sounds like a very frustrating/boring meeting for all those that attended last night......

Can I just point out that I watched a so called 'mouth-watering' clash in the Prem on Monday night Wolves  v Belle Vue and though the track had no issues, the match was as boring as hell....

Leon Flint providing the only real entertainment (buzzing around at the back and not really having the skill to pass).....

(P.s if anything exciting happened after Heat 8, then I stand corrected, as I turned it off at that point....)

Not to mention the 'processional' racing at 'Togliatti' in the Grand Prix at the weekend.

Speedway as a spectacle is 'dire' right now.

That Wolves meeting was watched and deleted within two hours it was so boring Brennan/ Flint were the only bright spots.The sport is in huge trouble in the UK and there has to be debate and major changes come November/ December.Will it though ? NO a few rule changes trying to paper over the cracks and the show plods on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back to Poole and wondered why I bothered. Awful meeting devoid of any real racing other than Danny King.

First of all, and most importantly, get well soon to Stefan who I have heard is suffering from broken ribs, a punctured lung and a broken collarbone. Stefan has been a major player in this Pirates side and will no doubt be sadly missed for the remainder of the season. Get well soon and I for one would like to see him back with us next season. A nasty tumble along with Grobauer into the 4th bend fence.

I thought the track was bumpy, wavy someone else called it. Riders were gating, going out wide and that was it. No passing all meeting. Riders who failed to make the gate, forget it. Gate and go. Very, very boring. It didn’t help that our number one was appalling tonight and cost us a win. Already down Ben Basso and before the first lap of heat one Stefan, Rory rode very much within himself. Beaten by Shanes and Morris with ease is not good enough. 5-1’d twice with ease. Looked disinterested. Is he under orders from Peter Adams to ride within himself? 

After being reduced to a 5 man team and only having one rider out in two heats, it became apparent that tonight wasn’t going to be our night but really we deserved a point, and even that eluded us. No faulting Danny King and Steve Worrall. Cook tried but is not a gater and neither is Danyon, who tried all night but just couldn’t get out of the starts. The Brum riders are dialled in and with track conditions as they were, there was no catching once they gated. 

The man o the tannoy was shouting how wonderful it was to send Poole home with no points. That may be so but one is in hospital in a poor state. He said that Brum can still make the playoffs. I hope they do do we can pick them.

A decent crowd I thought. But no atmosphere to speak of. And other than the result they can’t have gone home thrilled.

easy to explain... Worral - gating tart, Cook - gating tart, Schlein - old gating tart. Here to help.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

easy to explain... Worral - gating tart, Cook - gating tart, Schlein - old gating tart. Here to help.

Cook a gating tart? Lmao. You obviously missed the race when he passed 2 in one move then at Poole. Everyone is a gating tart at Brum it seems apart from King. But that is the track rather than the riders. 

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

A decent crowd I thought. But no atmosphere to speak of. And other than the result they can’t have gone home thrilled.

There is usually more of an atmosphere, the hour of waiting around after the Nielsen/Grobauer crash sucked the life out of everyone.

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Can I just point out that I watched a so called 'mouth-watering' clash in the Prem on Monday night Wolves  v Belle Vue and though the track had no issues, the match was as boring as hell....

Not to mention the 'processional' racing at 'Togliatti' in the Grand Prix at the weekend.

Should have go to Manchester Monday Morning, that was a blinder!

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Everyone is a gating tart at Brum it seems apart from King.

:rofl: LOL!  James Shanes is a gating tart, that's a good one.  Best one I've heard this year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Cook a gating tart? Lmao. You obviously missed the race when he passed 2 in one move then at Poole. Everyone is a gating tart at Brum it seems apart from King. But that is the track rather than the riders. 

Have you ever been to Perry Barr? I know the answer but I'll ask out of politeness.

6 minutes ago, Col said:

:rofl: LOL!  James Shanes is a gating tart, that's a good one.  Best one I've heard this year!

I was going on Steve's report of King making the only pass. 

4 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Have you ever been to Perry Barr? I know the answer but I'll ask out of politeness.

Yes, I have actually. 

• Haha 1

Just now, lisa-colette said:

I was going on Steve's report of King making the only pass. 

Riss passed Schlein, it wasn't a typical night, everything seemed subdued after the heat 1 incident.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Why was Ben Cook riding at 4 tonight? Has he ridden 4 away meetings? Per BSPL green sheet @ 01/09/21 he is still on 4pt assessed average and Stefan Nilsen on 4.51

Was Gary Havelock the team manager tonight? 

I was certainly surprised at the change in riding order last night - I assume insisted upon by the referee as it wasn't in any of the match previews nor printed in the programme!!.

I was under the impression that Ben Cook completed his 4 home/4 away meetings during Poole's win at Edinburgh last Friday (The one where Havvy was Team Manager!) which would have meant a new average 7 days later (I thought that was the rule, as it was after the 23rd August cut-off for September averages?) ie for the home meeting on Friday v Glasgow not last night!?

But what do i know? I wonder if Neil Watson might care to comment?

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I was certainly surprised at the change in riding order last night - I assume insisted upon by the referee as it wasn't in any of the match previews nor printed in the programme!!.

I was under the impression that Ben Cook completed his 4 home/4 away meetings during Poole's win at Edinburgh last Friday (The one where Havvy was Team Manager!) which would have meant a new average 7 days later (I thought that was the rule, as it was after the 23rd August cut-off for September averages?) ie for the home meeting on Friday v Glasgow not last night!?

But what do i know? I wonder if Neil Watson might care to comment?

It was his 4th home meeting he was waiting to complete, which was last Wednesday against newcastle.

Eastbourne, Glasgow, Plymouth and Redcar were his 4 away meetings.

6 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

It was his 4th home meeting he was waiting to complete, which was last Wednesday against newcastle.

Eastbourne, Glasgow, Plymouth and Redcar were his 4 away meetings.

That would explain it then - although doesn't explain why Brum and Poole both had Cook still at reserve in their respective previews and it wasn't updated in the programme.

Edited by Skidder1

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

That would explain it then - although doesn't explain why Brum and Poole both had Cook still at reserve in their respective previews and it wasn't updated in the programme.

Probably because they used the GSA released on 28/08 and the new one hasn't been released yet. Remember previews and programmes are written a few days before

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

Probably because they used the GSA released on 28/08 and the new one hasn't been released yet. Remember previews and programmes are written a few days before

...or the day before!!!!

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

...or the day before!!!!

Haha yes, but they'll use the declared teams which are due in 5 days before