British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You only have to please 1 person when Poole are in town... shouldn't be a problem next season though... unless they sign Batch!

Yes indeed always a concern when certain riders are programmed and the track is not perfect!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I think this meeting just reinforces my view that Rider Replacement should not be allowed if there is not a number 8 at the track ready to race if required.

There was an MDSL match on after so plenty of options for a number 8 not taken by Poole

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

There was an MDSL match on after so plenty of options for a number 8 not taken by Poole

Yes, we would have let them have Stephen Whitehouse! :D

6 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Any rider is better than none if someone falls off/retires!

4 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Any rider is better than none if someone falls off/retires!

Exactly. In the end I don't think it happened..? But obviously you don't know that going into it. Bet they still don't do it next time.

This meeting wasn't the best match that I have seen this season although it was eventful! 

This is a typical picture of all spectator sports - there will be good matches and poor matches often for no apparent reason, so no track should be universally condemned as the cause when the latter is the case. The much loved and lamented Brandon track used always to be immaculately prepared and the riders very rarely had cause to complain about it - yet it regularly produced some very processional races and was often criticized as being "too smooth." 

I have witnessed some very good racing (and some poor stuff too) at Perry Barr this season and in seasons past and like the vast majority of supporters I accept that every meeting isn't going to be a cracker, so I don't blame, the track or the opposition when a meeting falls short of expectations.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, brianbuck said:

This meeting wasn't the best match that I have seen this season although it was eventful! 

This is a typical picture of all spectator sports - there will be good matches and poor matches often for no apparent reason, so no track should be universally condemned as the cause when the latter is the case. The much loved and lamented Brandon track used always to be immaculately prepared and the riders very rarely had cause to complain about it - yet it regularly produced some very processional races and was often criticized as being "too smooth." 

I have witnessed some very good racing (and some poor stuff too) at Perry Barr this season and in seasons past and like the vast majority of supporters I accept that every meeting isn't going to be a cracker, so I don't blame, the track or the opposition when a meeting falls short of expectations.

Stop talking sense, Brian: this is BSF, you know!

On 9/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, *JJ said:

How disrespectful to a young British rider 

45 minutes ago, Argos said:

How disrespectful to a young British rider 

You obviously haven’t seen Stephen whitehouse. Been around ages and  getting markedly worse every season. Will never make a speedway rider. 
embarrassing to watch him struggle so badly.