British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

For or against the GP series.?

When the series was first set up i was totally against it but have gradually got to except it for what it is and except change.I personally loved the old format the one off final ( 5 rides no semi finals) just a shame there is not a place for both formats.Is the series becoming stale ?does it need tinkering with for me personally to see Bartosz ride is a reason alone to watch great to see Artem pushing on in his  career to.Any thoughts who are fans of the series?  who are against it be interesting to hear peoples opinion.

Surely there should be room to run Grand Pix and an individual competitions in the same season. Other sports do. I used to think the  qualifying   rounds  in the individual  event  were great .A rider would have one home meeting and two away and highest scorers went to the final 16. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to a few one-off finals (Wembley, Norden, Amsterdam, Katowice, Gothenburg and Vojens) and they were all great experiences. I can see the attraction in a GP Series but from the beginning I could see the disruption it would cause to the UK domestic programme especially when the number of rounds were increased.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the GP series is more likely to produce a worthy world champion. One-off meetings have on a couple of occasions produced a winner who most would agree was not speedway's top rider that year.

4 hours ago, Split said:

I think the GP series is more likely to produce a worthy world champion. One-off meetings have on a couple of occasions produced a winner who most would agree was not speedway's top rider that year.

Plus, the GP's are designed to have the best riders in the world. The World Final was designed to qualify riders based more on nationality, and every year, there was a least one rider who SHOULD have been there that wasn't.

20 hours ago, chunky said:

Plus, the GP's are designed to have the best riders in the world. The World Final was designed to qualify riders based more on nationality, and every year, there was a least one rider who SHOULD have been there that wasn't.

Or riders who shouldn't have been there but were.

I'm for the GP. Although Covid has cancelled the last two Cardiff GPs, have enjoyed all nine I've attended. A good day out.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, chunky said:

Questionable, my good friend

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Questionable, my good friend

Which part(s)?

I agree with chunky and not midland red on this, definitely there were some guys very lucky to get to the World Final , and certainly  to win it. E.G. in the first category Bryan Elliott, in the second category no way could Jerzy Sczakiel have become World Champ. in a GP series -not sure about Egon Muller either.

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Which part(s)?

The World Finals were a culmination of many, many qualifying rounds around Europe, where many, many riders had the opportunity to qualify. Those that came through all the rounds deserved to be there in the final, therefore the best riders of that year.

With the GPs, just how many riders have the opportunity to qualify? Places are taken by riders qualifying through what they achieved in previous seasons, by selection, and may well not be as good in the current season as others who have no opportunity to qualify.

Remember the WCQRs at all British tracks?  Virtually all British and Australasian riders had the opportunity to qualify, now they have virtually none.

And don’t get me started on wildcards, the semi-finals and finals, this season’s revised scoring system.

Sorry, but OOFC is a bit of a closed shop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

I agree with chunky and not midland red on this, definitely there were some guys very lucky to get to the World Final , and certainly  to win it. E.G. in the first category Bryan Elliott, in the second category no way could Jerzy Sczakiel have become World Champ. in a GP series -not sure about Egon Muller either.

The old system had its flaws certainly but I still preferred it. Yes, some top guys lost out and some no-hopers made it to the final, but generally the cream rose to the top. Think Mauser, Briggs, Moore, Craven etc. I don’t know if Knutsson would have won over a 10-12 round GP series. He was good enough certainly.

5 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

The World Finals were a culmination of many, many qualifying rounds around Europe, where many, many riders had the opportunity to qualify. Those that came through all the rounds deserved to be there in the final, therefore the best riders of that year.

With the GPs, just how many riders have the opportunity to qualify? Places are taken by riders qualifying through what they achieved in previous seasons, by selection, and may well not be as good in the current season as others who have no opportunity to qualify.

Remember the WCQRs at all British tracks?  Virtually all British and Australasian riders had the opportunity to qualify, now they have virtually none.

And don’t get me started on wildcards, the semi-finals and finals, this season’s revised scoring system.

Sorry, but OOFC is a bit of a closed shop.

I have to agree with you on all points.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

I think JS is much derided as not only did he beat Ivan Mauger to win his World Individual  he won the World Pairs as well in 1971. He partnered Andrzej Wyglenda . They scored 15 points each for 30 points. Who finished 2nd on 25 points none other than Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger 3rd was Anders Michanek and Bernt Persson. So was this title a fluke as well

His problem was the restriction placed on him by the Polish authorities who blocked him from leaving Poland too many times

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Re Sczakiel, I think it was in one of Ivan Maugers books where he was praising JS as a top rider that was underrated by the many. Yes, Ivan spoke highly of him. Maybe he would have done well in a GP series.

Muller was a fantastic long track rider, and a very good speedway rider, capable of being a spoiler.. I would expect him to finish about 10th-12th in a GP series though.

• Like 1