British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

For or against the GP series.?

9 hours ago, chunky said:

There were others. Davis won the Sussex Open Championship at Eastbourne in 1978 (ahead of Kennett, Crump, and Sanders), the Artdeans Trophy at Swindon in 1979 (ahead of Crump and Autrey), and the Yorkshire Open at Sheffield in 1977. He won that with a maximum from riders like Jessup, Wyer, Lee, Coliins, and Olsen.

...and Vaclav Verner won the Yorkshire TV Trophy ahead of Lee and Penhall....and Reg Wilson won the Jubilee Trophy ahead of Mauger and Autrey. Good night's work for those riders, but pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I don't imagine Mauger and the rest lost too much sleep either.

I don't want to come across as knocking Davis. As above, I think he got the maximum from himself. I don't think it as been mentioned...but at one time (and possibly still holds true?) he reached more British Finals than any other rider. Which is testament to his professionalism and longevity. But I don't think its plausible to suggest any World Final was poorer for his absence, that just doesn't paint an accurate picture.

He was a good rider for a long time, but that's it. There's a good reasons why through Davis' career he remained a fringe rider for England and guys like Louis, Simmons, PC, Jessup, Lee, Morton, Carter and later on Wigg, Doncaster and Tatum were automatic picks for a few years each.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didnt go for most of 70s, 80s, 90s, but fortunate enough to see Briggo, Broady, Ashby, Kilby, Adams, Doyley, Darcy, even Zagar and Andersen in Robins racesuits.

Not a bad lot Doris, i never got to see George White which was a shame.Even though i kept going my enthusiasm for speedway wavered from 1990 until Crump (jnr) and Gollob got me enthused again.Today  my enthusiasm is at a alltime low the sport never helps itself never looks to progress if Swindon or Oxford don’t operate i can’t see myself going much maybe take in the odd Torun/ Prague weekend.

9 hours ago, chunky said:

With the Czech Golden Helmet, Stancl really DOES cut it for "elite"! Five-time winner, runner-up twice, and third three times. He was beating Mauger, Olsen , Lee, and the like pretty regularly in that! I can't find a lineup for the 1984 event, but I''m pretty sure there would have been some big names in there. It really wasn't an easy thing to win - particularly when Stancl was in the field.

Top 12 in 1984

1 Davis

2 King

3 Stancl

4 S Moran

5 Kasper

6 Adorjan

7 Karnas

8 A Drmyl snr (Ales Droylesden according to autocorrect!)

9 Ondrasik

10 Kuznetsov

11 Tatum

12 Gundersen

Other competitors that year included Jan Andersson, Malcolm Simmons, Roman Jankowski, Henny Kroeze and Pierre Brannefors

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

A bit odd that, Sid, that Swindon didn't achieve more on the team front considering having many top riders turn out for them down the years? Perhaps the promotion wasn't that bothered and the incentive was often lacking?

1980 was a lovely side and if Phil had of started the season we would of pushed hard that year.Steve you can relate to this because Oxford like Swindon had some weak teams over the years  then to get the Hans/ era must of been a dream come true.For me the team winning did not matter having a regular feature in the team like Keen, Hitchy was brilliant the fans could relate to continuity having a hero.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

1980 was a lovely side and if Phil had of started the season we would of pushed hard that year.Steve you can relate to this because Oxford like Swindon had some weak teams over the years  then to get the Hans/ era must of been a dream come true.For me the team winning did not matter having a regular feature in the team like Keen, Hitchy was brilliant the fans could relate to continuity having a hero.

My first year (1972) Swindon had a great dual figure head in Briggs & Ashby but had a very long tail...an opportunity lost perhaps?

• Like 1

ps. sticking with John Davis...this is a cracking little documentary...

In many ways, it inadvertently puts it in a nutshell. I don't think there were many riders around then who would have had the foresight and vision to bring something like this to fruition on TV and provide a brilliant showcase for him and his sponsors. On the other hand, it also shows that he was a notch below the likes of Carter and Morton (who have a belting race here).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, falcace said:

In many ways, it inadvertently puts it in a nutshell. I don't think there were many riders around then who would have had the foresight and vision to bring something like this to fruition on TV and provide a brilliant showcase for him and his sponsors. On the other hand, it also shows that he was a notch below the likes of Carter and Morton (who have a belting race here).

Great video and what a race that was between Mort/ Kenny there race in the 1983 NRC Hyde Rd was just as thrilling.

47 minutes ago, falcace said:

Great insight!

2 hours ago, falcace said:

...and Vaclav Verner won the Yorkshire TV Trophy ahead of Lee and Penhall....and Reg Wilson won the Jubilee Trophy ahead of Mauger and Autrey. Good night's work for those riders, but pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I don't imagine Mauger and the rest lost too much sleep either.

I don't want to come across as knocking Davis. As above, I think he got the maximum from himself. I don't think it as been mentioned...but at one time (and possibly still holds true?) he reached more British Finals than any other rider. Which is testament to his professionalism and longevity. But I don't think its plausible to suggest any World Final was poorer for his absence, that just doesn't paint an accurate picture.

He was a good rider for a long time, but that's it. There's a good reasons why through Davis' career he remained a fringe rider for England and guys like Louis, Simmons, PC, Jessup, Lee, Morton, Carter and later on Wigg, Doncaster and Tatum were automatic picks for a few years each.

I think you are right ? Davis reached 15 British Finals 1976-1991( missing out in 1990).        Chris Morton reached 14 and Peter Collins 13.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think you are right ? Davis reached 15 British Finals 1976-1991( missing out in 1990).        Chris Morton reached 14 and Peter Collins 13.

Scott Nicholls has competed in 23 British Finals/Championships and Chris Harris 20, with both still going strong, although different eras and less difficulty in qualifying in recent times than in the 20th century.

• Like 1