British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bruno

Tracks visited but never seen a race

Like most I've travelled to many tracks only to be called off but I've visited them on other occasions. The only track I never got to re visit is White City which got called off against the heathens in the 77 season I think

Never saw a race at Ullevi, but... I was in Gothenburg for darts, so I decided to have a wander. The place was wide open with nobody around, so I managed to walk the entire track!

The only track I've visited but not seen speedway at was Esbjerg in Denmark. Back in 1971, I went on the Wimbledon Supporters' Coach (don't ask!) to see the World Final, held in Gothenburg that year. We took the boat from Harwich to Esbjerg and as the coach left Esbjerg, we stopped off to have a look at Esbjerg Stadium. While there, I picked up a programme that I just found lying on the ground. When we got back to the coach, I passed it round for people to see - I never got it back! It is the only speedway programme I once had that I no longer have.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

Welland, Canada 1996. Did the Paris meeting the night before. Made the short journey to Welland. It was bright sunshine one hour before the start. We went into the bar and wow, did it rain!!! Looked out and the track vanished under water! Haven't made it back there... yet!

Quibell Park and Paris (Ontario) for me

29 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Quibell Park and Paris (Ontario) for me

I called in at Quibell Park when making my way to Scunthorpe's 'new' track in 1979 to have a look...must have been spectacular watching racing there inside a banked athletics track?

Can I also include Yarmouth and Hastings? Speedway had long since ceased, but I have been there...

Travelled to Somerset who were due to race Poole but the meeting was called off due to rain...looked a nice stadium but never got the opportunity to go back again.

Dudley Wood. Only visit there was 83 (i'm pretty sure) and the Aces meeting was rained off. 

Edit: not sure if it counts, but I've been to Cardiff to see the ABs play, but never to a speedway GP

Edited by waiheke1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Travelled to Somerset who were due to race Poole but the meeting was called off due to rain...looked a nice stadium but never got the opportunity to go back again.

It was a great racetrack, saw Swindon there twice, once won there with last heat 5-1, then were thrashed.

• Like 1

Have been to the dogs at Monmore, but not seen speedway there.

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Have been to the dogs at Monmore, but not seen speedway there.

...not one of my favourite tracks however Oxford had a good record there!