British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bruno

Tracks visited but never seen a race

Riga for the SGP that was switched to Daugavpils at the last moment is the only track I have been to for a meeting that was not staged and subsequently I have yet to return.

Apart from some UK tracks (most notably Belle Vue NSS) my first visits overseas to Landshut, Vastervik, Gorican, Avesta and Poznań were all rain offs but I subsequently went back. In the case of Landshut it took me 39 years though!

I have seen some tracks where I didn’t actually see Speedway as there was not a scheduled meeting when I saw the track. These include Reading (Tilehurst) from a passing train and Western Springs (NZ).

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, steve roberts said:

I called in at Quibell Park when making my way to Scunthorpe's 'new' track in 1979 to have a look...must have been spectacular watching racing there inside a banked athletics track?

Called in on Quibell Park in 2005. Still a very tidy little stadium in a leafy setting. The flat athletics track, on which the speedway circuit was laid (I've seen only video footage of racing there), is now synthetic. The outside banking was a velodrome-type circuit. It was still in situ in 2005.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1

Swindon, for the match v Poole pre the pairs at Somerset & the Cardiff GP.

We had just come out of the Cold Harbour and saw more people coming back our way, so ended up in pub watching Sheffield v Leicester on updates.

I've just remembered another track I have visited. Back in 2003, I was shown round Rosebank Speedway in Auckland by Bob Andrews, he says name-droppingly.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, arnieg said:

Quibell Park and Paris (Ontario) for me

Paris has now completely disappeared........

11 hours ago, andout said:

Paris has now completely disappeared........

Crickey! Do the French know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Coventry, 1978. Went on the Kings Lynn coach for the British Final, bastard thing was rained off. Took a night off work and all.  Never returned to Coventry.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:54 AM, norbold said:

I've just remembered another track I have visited. Back in 2003, I was shown round Rosebank Speedway in Auckland by Bob Andrews, he says name-droppingly.

It's a great little venue & offers some excellent racing. They have a very dedicated group of club members but have very tight restrictions as to when they can run speedway.

• Like 1

Thought I'd already posted, poss not, but Wolves at Monmore, saw ht1 of British Pairs in 1985 (or 1986) not got around to a return visit yet, been too busy.  For 35 / 36 years :D...

Not sure I have ever visited a track without seeing a race. By the time I visited Stamford Bridge and Paisley there were no meetings being held there. The track was I guess still to be seen at the Bridge and also Paisley, but one end had been squared off at Paisley. Celtic park comes into the Bridge category as well as I am typing this out

I did. once visit a town without ever getting to the track at Bad Zwischenahn. Stopped at the local petrol station to ask where the track was, and the person serving told me the meeting had been cancelled, so I just turned round without seeing the track and have never been back since

Glasgow :angry:

On a slightly lighter note, I did a few meetings in Oz in 2007 when I was racing sidecars. The Aussies did their level best to get as many meetings on for the visiting Brits (plus one Dutchman) and to our great delight, one of them was at Mildura. Well the meeting did start so it doesn't strictly qualify for this thread but due to torrential rain the meeting was rained off. Beat that for the longest distance from home you've been to a rain off! :P

Took me three attempts to see a meeting at Boston and then it was only half a meeting! The first attempt the meeting was postponed due to rain. The second attempt the first race didn't even reach the first bend as a bad crash at the exclusion lights caused the meeting to be abandoned. The third and final attempt we arrived at about heat six after taking in a meeting at King's Lynn (WTC Qualifier) which over ran!