British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2022

16 minutes ago, Redpanther said:

Jason Edwards deserves his chance no doubt about that but treating jake like that is a kick in the b*llocks

May be but is he that much better than Mulford?? 

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel Smith said:

May be but is he that much better than Mulford?? 

Personally I don’t know, just think it’s harsh treatment on jake. Certainly at the moment Jason has been notching some decent scores across the championship 

This does surprise me because things have been much better since Alex Brady has been involved, if it was still down to other members of the promotion you probably wouldn't be. Presumably Mulford will still be required on Thursday if it's R/R for Puk anyway? 

Agree that venting on Facebook looks awful even though I do have sympathy with the boy. However as I said before to me a number 8 is to cover the odd meeting, not longer term injuries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wtf said:

The attraction of Sweden is more money (if you get paid) but more importantly much reduced costs. You do Sweden using your Polish equipment and staff. Fewer meetings means it can be done on one day with a shorter season. At the moment Air travel is cheaper than van travel, so Sweden is becoming more expensive to do, but still cheaper than a UK set up.

I understand people being cheesed off, but they are aiming their frustration at the wrong people. We moan like hell about guests and RR over here. The Poles are trying to avoid the same, by minimising risks of riders getting injured elsewhere, not eliminating, but minimising. They are saying you should only need one other job (in their eyes, your home or base nation) if you ride here. Their ruling stops no rider from riding the UK. EVERY single rider in Poland COULD ride the UK if they wanted to. Dan Bewley wasn't stopped riding in the UK by the PZM, he was stopped because he chose to ride in Sweden instead.

I get it, people want someone to blame, but they need to look closer to home

The point is Poland have indeed stopped some riders from riding in all the leagues they want.They aren't the reason it has declined in this country as Bagpuss said earlier.But to stop someone from riding in as many leagues as they want is wrong imo.If Poland paid you for your days off then fair enough.But surely if it doesn't interfere with their Polish race nights what's the problem with them racing wherever. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 9:11 PM, mikebv said:

No it doesn't ...

The sport runs Monday to Sunday using many of the same riders.. 

No other country wants to have access to riders EVERY single day of the week other than the UK....

Hence, so many meetings end up being ridiculous made up "Guestfests" which does it absolutely no favours whatsoever...

And does nothing but destroy its credibility...

Enjoy....

You are not just talking about our top league racing Monday & Thursdays, you are talking about British league racing so I will add to this. Poland leagues race Saturday, Sunday & Monday & drop in the occasional Friday. Sweden do Tuesdays but have now added Thursday to their racing Schedule. Only Denmark race on their, usual, race day of Wednesday. 

46 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This does surprise me because things have been much better since Alex Brady has been involved, if it was still down to other members of the promotion you probably wouldn't be. Presumably Mulford will still be required on Thursday if it's R/R for Puk anyway? 

Agree that venting on Facebook looks awful even though I do have sympathy with the boy. However as I said before to me a number 8 is to cover the odd meeting, not longer term injuries.

I agree with you regarding what a number 8 should be used for but if what he has said himself on Facebook is true and he’s gone too the effort of sorting everything out at his own cost too turn out for Lynn and he’s found out through social media he isn’t riding then that’s terrible, can’t and shouldn’t be treating a young rider like that 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Redpanther said:

I agree with you regarding what a number 8 should be used for but if what he has said himself on Facebook is true and he’s gone too the effort of sorting everything out at his own cost too turn out for Lynn and he’s found out through social media he isn’t riding then that’s terrible, can’t and shouldn’t be treating a young rider like that 

If everything Jake has stated is true. Usually there's rider side, club side and somewhere in the middle is the truth. For me its just another outburst from an ungrateful brat who thinks speedway owes him something. There is a reason why a talented brit on a low average in each of the leagues didn't have a full place in any of them. 

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1

people in glass houses and all that.

I have a recollection of Mulford letting Kent down a few times in NDL with transport issues and lack of bikes etc. 

If you are looking at proven NDL / CL form then it's a no brainer that Edwards would be preferred and surprising he wasn't a dedicated no 8 although he is riding NDL and CL already. May be Mulford needs to focus on Grass/Long Track or Speedway for now.

He's similar level on Grass to Atkins and Wirtzfeld both of whom seem to have had a rather in/out relationship with Speedway too. The common fact is they all have talent but may be trying to spread it too thinly.

The other issue for mulford is that as long as he's viewed as a Grass Track ridr he won't be attractive to well over half of the CL teams who race Friday/Saturday and Sunday as preferred day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wtf said:

I agree, it's not a great way for Kings Lynn to do things, and however good it feels for Jake now, venting your opinion on social media, it only alienates those potential future employers, looks unprofessional, and drags you down to their level. Riders get treated like this all the time. Doesn't make it right, and I don't condone it, but venting publicly never improves the situation.

You say that making this public is not helpful. I know of many instances of, usually junior riders, being treated badly and nothing is said in public. If you advocate that this is the right course of action, you are condoning such behaviour by the promoters and powers that be and it will continue. Unchallenged.
I'm not sure if the lad said more than has been reported here, but the quoted FB post is quite restrained in my opinion. It lays out the facts as he knows them and leaves us to make our own judgement. Of course, there are always two sides to every argument. Perhaps KL could, dispassionately, put their side?

In fact KL have said, "Jake (Mulford) has some grasstrack commitments abroad which means he has to dash off early on Friday morning, so I felt it would be prudent to go with Jason for what’s a really important match for us – we can’t afford to take any chances.”
How is a rider travelling the day after a meeting, taking a risk?

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Jason Edwards signed as the injury replacement RS makes debut on Thursday v Sheffield 

This will now be all 3 leagues declared & raced in this year. Is this still allowed? I know other Premiership teams have NDL riders signed as no8's as well as riding in the CL but rarely ride.

4 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

You are not just talking about our top league racing Monday & Thursdays, you are talking about British league racing so I will add to this. Poland leagues race Saturday, Sunday & Monday & drop in the occasional Friday. Sweden do Tuesdays but have now added Thursday to their racing Schedule. Only Denmark race on their, usual, race day of Wednesday. 

Difference is the Polish clubs only ride one day a week but change their days to accommodate TV...

Which can only be a good thing as it shows that there is an audience for what they are offering, and delivers a very tidy sum of money indeed (in the several millions), from the TV companies who have to outbid each other for the rights to show the sport..

Whereas in the UK we run seven days a week to accommodate riders' earning potential..

Regardless of the impact to the credibility and future success of the sport that this has...

Hence the TV deal over here is "somewhat different"...

Edited by mikebv

6 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Difference is the Polish clubs only ride one

Whereas in the UK we run seven days a week to accommodate riders' earning potential..

You make it sound we only run seven days a week so some riders can earn more,is that the case?Thought we have always run 7 days a week.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

This will now be all 3 leagues declared & raced in this year. Is this still allowed? I know other Premiership teams have NDL riders signed as no8's as well as riding in the CL but rarely ride.

But the no8's can have more meetings in the PL,its basically a shared berth where the in form rider will get the meetings.

16 minutes ago, tellboy said:

You make it sound we only run seven days a week so some riders can earn more,is that the case?Thought we have always run 7 days a week.

We used to run seven days a week due to the amount of teams running, and there was hardly any clashes with foreign leagues given so few riders rode in them..

German Longtrack and the many thousands that the top riders could earn for an afternoon at one of their massive meetings was more of a threat than any other domestic league..

Now we run seven days to ensure that the riders can earn as much as is possible, either through their teams fixture list, or guesting....

And it also allows promoters to use riders from a higher level to bolster their offer to their punters...

All it does though is create more headaches trying to fit in meetings around FIM meetings, meaning more guests, or trying to run meetings with riders missing due to injuries because they have had no time to have them heal, meaning more guests in both leagues for the same missing rider..

One injury can mean four or five meetings become a "Guestfest" due to having so many double up..

Anyhow, it wont change, because if it could, it surely would already have done so, given the negative impact it has on the sport..

41 minutes ago, mikebv said:

We used to run seven days a week due to the amount of teams running, and there was hardly any clashes with foreign leagues given so few riders rode in them..

German Longtrack and the many thousands that the top riders could earn for an afternoon at one of their massive meetings was more of a threat than any other domestic league..

Now we run seven days to ensure that the riders can earn as much as is possible, either through their teams fixture list, or guesting....

And it also allows promoters to use riders from a higher level to bolster their offer to their punters...

All it does though is create more headaches trying to fit in meetings around FIM meetings, meaning more guests, or trying to run meetings with riders missing due to injuries because they have had no time to have them heal, meaning more guests in both leagues for the same missing rider..

One injury can mean four or five meetings become a "Guestfest" due to having so many double up..

Anyhow, it wont change, because if it could, it surely would already have done so, given the negative impact it has on the sport..

It could change

But needs 5 years of constant supply from the NDL into the championship but it's far too strong, for the good of the sport it needs to weaken to become a platform where riders can progress 

But then fans will say they dont want a watered down product even if it becomes £10/12 to get in as a result, meaning long term their beloved club dies 

• Like 2